0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Sad

Long ago myths were told about people of old, Folks in the past depended strongly on history past on by their ancestors. Some worshipped the sun while others worshipped the moon. There were also many that believed in astrology, palmistry among many other practices.

It was foretold that there would be a baby that will become greater and wiser than his father in the land of Akosomber. Many doubted this and called it myth while some waited for the day to behold but some died along the way without witnessing with their own eyes.

There was a prophet who lived in the caves of margibi County whose capital was known to be kakata a small town in one of the west African countries called Liberia.

The prophet who was known as Zekiel had spoken a lots of things that came to past in years but some still did not believed and. Alled him the sorcerer. Zekiel was forced to move into a cave to protect himself against mob violence.

In the town called Sinoe lived a woman who has been married for 29 years without bearing a single seed. Her husband was at the verge of divorcing her for a sexier and prettier lady who could give him as many children as possible. Fearing the worse, she headed to the cave risking everything and endangering her life aswell. Crossing the putu river was very dangerous during those days there were miners and dwarves dwelling about 300 miles away from the cave of the prophet.

As she approached the cave she heard noises as the leaves of the bush shook. She was shaking in fear but did not give up her determination. This was a very pivotal moment in her life so she kept going as she covered her head veiling her identity. Before she could even take another step inside of the cave, cried a voice hey woman! Why have you come here? Don't you know that you have missed your period? Go home and tell your husband the good news but do not tell him how great your son will become because he will be wiser than his father and fathers to come now you may leave and never come back! Go now and go in peace.

She hurrily went home in tears of joy and started to sing while cooking and cleaning. Her neighbors noticed her joy and started to murmur that she had won the lottery some even went on to say that she is happy to be divorced after all she could not bare a child and that her husband had the right to become a father. Mr. Kpoto came home as always in a bad mood to meet his wife but she embraced him with a big hug and a smile he was astonished but quickly distracted by the smell of his favorite dish! As he approached the dining room, he saw a banner and a balloon on the wall saying WE ARE GOING TO BE PARENTS OF A BABY BOY!!!!! Mr. Kpoto could not believe his eyes! Oh my lady he said this is a Greta news that requires celebration... She said no honey let us keep it private as you know we have been trying for years so let's make this a secret. From that day forward, their marriage was restored and the child was supposed to be called Samuel. On the 5th day of the 5th month the child was born and taken home as his daddy held him in his arms he spoke softly to his baby you will be called Samuel but the baby replied no my name is wiser than his father. Mr Kpoto quickly ran to his room sweating and thought that he was going crazy. He kept the secret that tormented his mind for days until he decided to give his son the weird name. As the tradition goes in west Africa, every new born must be brought outside on the 5th day of birth accompanied by guests and family members to welcome the new baby to the world.10 years ago the barren woman was told by a pastor that she will bare a son with great abilities but she did not believe it.

On the day of the out bringing, the home of the Kpotos were flooded with guest and friends. The Famiky Pastor was praying when he stopped and starting to stare at the baby in astonishment he said this baby will be a mighty and very wise man.

Years later the country was faced with civil war many people died by then the child was only 14 years old but strong as a 40years old. The rebels burst into the home of the Kpotos to kill everyone within. Little Kpoto told the intruders that he would like to become a soldier some day but he is afraid that his dream won't come through if he is killed today. Bthe soldier looked at him with astonishment and said are you not afraid of death? He responded no I am not because if you kill me now I will be reborn tomorrow because someone at this moment is pregnant. The rebels decided to leave but on their way out, they argued among themselves and killed each other. Mr Kpoto told his son that he was indeed wiser than his father. The little boy grew wiser each day that flew by. The Kpotos had to flee their home walking approximately 3000 miles to get to the other side of the city seeking refuge and food. They came to a halt as they approached the Ecomog check point asking for their identification. They were given permission to cross but wiser than his father saw that his parents were tired and weak so he asked to wash the officers cars and clothes in exchange for food for he and his parents he spent the whole day washing so that his parents could have some time to rest and eat. They were given a room to sleep. The next day they had to leave he thank the officers for being so kind but the officers were pleased with him and gave him provisions to carry along the journey.

Wiser than his father was indeed what they said he would be.

The President heard about the many wise things that he had done because people far and wide was speaking highly of him and many had high regards for this young man all because of his wisdom.

At the dinner, the President asked him what would you do if you were a president of this country? He quickly responded, I would answer that question if I was a president but since I am not, I would prefer another question. Wiser than his father was a young man with a strong presence and a very respectable reputation. He fulfilled all the prophecies about him he also live 105 years before passing on. His legacy still lives on and the people of that region still remember all the things he did by using simple wisdom and knowledge. The power lies within the mind and not the weapons we own.

October 09, 2020 15:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.