Luria Solis Aestas

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Write about a character who thinks they have a sun allergy.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Fantasy Fiction

I do not think I am allergic to the natural light; I know I am... which is quite ironic considering that I am the...albeit, reluctant heir to the Summer throne. It is a peculiar situation to be in I know, which is why I figured that I needed to write it down. I figure that if I physically write down my thoughts, then they would begin to make sense to me...and perhaps if I can start to properly explain my situation, then my parents will not be so hasty in their medical treatments.

The truth is, there is a wayward...illogical genetic abnormality that runs in the Summer court royal bloodline, my bloodline. I have for years been consulting extensively with the royal historians, the Fae court, and the best physicians across all four of the season’s kingdoms...but they have all reached the same distressing conclusion. There is no way to get rid of this sensitivity to the natural daylight...just like my unfortunate ancestors, I must simply learn to deal with it.

If you look back at the Royal Summer Court’s bloodline, this mysterious illness of ours seems to pop up every 4th generation or so....which makes it common enough to be investigated, but rare enough to cause quite a bit of distress when it does arise.

My great, great grandfather was the last to have it...however his scenario was a little different as he was the youngest of five siblings, he knew that he would never rule. I however, Luria Solis Aestas am the oldest of three siblings...which means I am the present heir to the Summer Court’s throne. Although us Fae have quite lengthy lifespans compared to other humanoid species, we are not immortal. A day will come when my Father passes into his next life, probably around his 7000th birthday and I will then be crowned Queen shortly after. Although this is over 4000 years away, that seems like quite a short period of time when you need to figure out how to actually go out into daylight without either fainting or collapsing.

As the most interactive of the four kingdoms, this makes my particular situation a little more difficult. The Summer court take a hands on approach to ruling. We do not simply hide behind the shimmering glass walls of our palace and wave politely from our elevated balconies. My family, just like my ancestors actually go out into our lands and help out our people. It is this empathetic connection that makes us the most tranquil realm out of all the four seasonal kingdoms.

My siblings and I have been sheltered from these outings until we reach Fae adulthood. However considering that I am less than a year away from this milestone, I therefore have less than a year to figure out how to privately manage my condition unless I want it to become public knowledge. Whilst this would not be the worst thing in the world as our kingdom is very understanding...it would make me appear to be a somewhat weak Monarch until I prove myself to my peoples.

If my borderline exhaustive royal training has taught me anything, it’s that the Monarchy needs to be the pristine leader...a role model for the Kingdom. Just like my Father, I must be fair and firm, confident and kind...I must be the epitome of perfect health. A Queen who cannot interact with her Kingdom...a Kingdom most famous for our stunning weather and happy, healthy occupants...then I am not a Queen, I am a showpiece. The Winter Kingdom may be fine with that reserved, ornate façade where the Monarchy is simply for appearances....but the Summer Kingdom is quite the opposite, and I refuse to let down my family...and my ancestral lineage, by simply being a victim to this ‘sun allergy’.

Upon reading through the royal records, as well as several of my ancestors journals...I discovered how each one of us born with this peculiar condition dealt with it. In my great, great grandfathers case...he simply became an introverted scholar who rarely left the safety of the Summer palace’s walls. Before him, my great something or rather grandmother had a reputation for being a high maintenance and fussy ruler. Of course I understood the reason behind her demanding nature now...she was allergic to sunlight, but of course she did not disclose that to the Kingdom.

No, instead she simply let her people’s think that she was simply a selfish, demanding ruler...even though behind the scenes my ancestor actually saved the entire Summer Kingdom from the Winter’s courts advances. From my perspective, I had several options. The first two options were to copy exactly what my ancestors had done and either simply be a recluse, or to gain the reputation of being difficult and self …centred neither of which particularly appealed to me. My third option, was to dive into the field of extensive medical tests and experiments in a desperate attempt to get rid of this mysterious allergy...although I would prefer to avoid this option, regardless of what my parents think.

The last option was the one that I was definitely leaning towards, no matter how hard it would be initially. My last option was simply to come clean to the Kingdom about this mysterious condition that ran in the Royal Summer court’s genetic bloodline. Was it revealing? Yes, it was ...but I know that the Summer Fae would prefer an honest, trustworthy ruler with a bit of a sun allergy rather than a closed off, recluse ruler that had a reputation for being quite demanding...regardless of what was happening behind the scenes.

The Summer Court was an open, interactive and friendly Royal Court that was one with it’s peoples. I could never hide this from the Summer Fae, not only would it let my family and my ancestral lineage down...but I would be disappointing myself. It was time for my family to own this genetic abnormality and help bring the Summer Court and it’s people’s closer together. Just like animals, we too must evolve...and my sharing of this Royal secret would help the Summer Kingdom evolve to an even greater level. I want my children’s, children’s, children...or my siblings descendants born with this condition to not feel ashamed of their peculiar allergy. I never want them to feel like they need to hide apart of themselves, especially when the weight and responsibility that comes with a royal title is enough to bear. This outright shame of this ‘Sun Allergy’ stops with me, I am going to be the future leader this Kingdom needed. After all, I am Luria Solis Aestas.

May 04, 2021 08:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alexis Unterborn
15:10 May 13, 2021

this story was captivating. You really believe you are a part of this magical realm. great job

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.