A Light in the Dark Part Twenty-Eight: A Lighthouse and Horns!

Written in response to: Begin your story with the sensation of a breeze brushing against a character's skin.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Horror

A cold breeze nipped my cheeks, the decaying lighthouse towering behind me. Holding my slightly bigger bump, Victoria appeared next to me with a lovely smile on her lips. Boomer barked a few feet ahead of us, his nose pointing towards the storm approaching. A lighthouse keeper had rotted and his dark spirit had been possessing people to jump into the choppy waves on the surface. Lightning danced across the sky with another clap of thunder, my eyes catching a man in a cable knit sweater and torn jacket dashing into the lighthouse. Spinning my scythe in my palm, nausea wracked my body at a pile of soaked maggot corpses. Pausing before I entered the lighthouse, horror rounded my eyes at the trapped souls climbing onto the rocks. Translucent forms twitched like the kid from one of my favorite horror movies, malice filled eyes lingering on me. Pushing Victoria in, Boomer bounced by my feet. Locking the door behind me, my fingers felt for a bit of chalk. Finding what I sought, a quick dance of the tip had a wall of energy blasting them back into the ocean. 

“We can free them in a minute. I have to take care of the problem first.” I uttered with a groggy yawn, Victoria rubbing my back. Flashing me a bright smile, lightning struck the wall next to me. Bits of plaster crumbled, my face falling at a wave soaking me. Fun, I mumbled under my breath. Ready to get this job over with, a closer look at the lighthouse keeper had me shuddering in my spot. Maggots wiggled underneath his skin, waterlogged skin splashing onto the floor, his milky eyes narrowing in my direction. 

“Get out!” He wailed with a gritty tone, my brow cocking. “You don’t belong in my dimension, you sow.” Spinning my scythe over my head, his form glitched. Appearing at the top of the stairs, a low groan poured from my lips. He couldn’t be serious with that shit, my brow twitching at his insult. 

“I am afraid your retirement has been called for!” I shouted up at him, my black ribbons swirling around me. “You are well overdue for that, my good sir.” Scratching at his one beard hair, a wicked fit of laughter rattled his body. 

“I will never retire!” He declared with a snap of his fingers, another wave soaking us. “I will drown you before I let that happen.” My hair clung to my face, a low growl rumbling in my throat. Pushing off the rusting floor, my hair floated up. Another wave smashed me through a broken window, cold water numbing me instantly. Wave after wave knocked me under the turbulent water, my lungs screaming in protest from the constant changes. Angry eyes glowed up at me, thousands of icy hands rolling me onto the rocks. Thanking them with a smile, my body went twenty feet in the air at a lightning strike nearly getting me. Yelping to myself, this guy was determined as the light that guided the ships. An idea came to mind, my eyes lingering on the dead light. Maybe if I brought some light back to his realm, I could draw him out. A cold finger grazed the back of my neck, a pearl of terror lingering in my eyes. Sprinting up the rusting stairs, Boomer appeared next to me. Victoria waved at me from the top, her dress fluttering in the wild sea gust. The stairs groaned in protest, my arms scooping up Boomer. Pushing off the metal, it gave out underneath me. Grabbing the railing, Victoria lassoed her rope around my waist. Yanking me over the railing, her arm caught us. Setting us down, a metal panel rested on the worn metal floor. Laying on my back, a ball of fire illuminated the nest of wires. Thinking back to my high school days with that one wiring class. Boomer guarded us, bangs echoing around me. Moving faster, my flames welded the wires together. Rolling out of the small space, my hands worked fast to guess which switches to flip. Every attempt failed, Victoria placing her finger in the air had me moving over. 

“I spent a summer spending time in a lighthouse. It was quite a lovely summer. My boyfriend at the time really stole my heart away.” She explained with a defeated smile, her hand moving with ease. “I should have stayed but I needed to go home for a family emergency.” Embracing her from behind, the light flickering to life had us grinning with wonder. The spirits floated out of the water, their bodies shrinking into balls of light. Zooming out of his realm, his roar shook the lighthouse. The outer edges of his realm began to crack, my chance was now. Running to the edge, my hair stood up at his spirit popping up in random shadows of the small space. 

“How dare you free what was mine?” He growled bitterly into my ears, my flames sending him into the waves. Stepping onto the ledge, Victoria shouted in protest the moment I leapt off. Unfurling my wet wings, they slowed my descent towards the rocks. Landing gracefully, my eyes scanned the waves for his energy. Holding my breath with every pass of the light, his shadow would darken random spots of water. Resting my scythe on my shoulder, this asshole was playing with me. Looking up, a barnacle covered harpoon was inches from my head. Curling my fingers around the base, one swing over my head had the rotting soul smashing into the rock. Wondering where the portal into Hell was, a red circle of boiling water answered my question. Tucking him underneath my arm, a huff escaped my lips the moment I jumped into the waves. Using air to get me closer to the flaming hole, his fingernails clawed at my arms. Swimming inches above the portal, a force sucked me in with him. The hole spit me out into a den of hungry demonic wolves, panic twisting my features. Snarls echoed in the cave, the wolves choosing to devour him instead. Taking my chance to escape, my boots pounded into a thick forest of blood red trees. Cursing under my breath, this part of Hell was new to me. Seeking a high point, a fit of wicked laughter had me spinning on my heels. Masked demons spun their makeshift weapons in their palms, my scythe shaking in my palm. Their robes floated up, the roots plucking themselves out of the weak forest floor. An idea came to mind, a sharp whistle flowing from my lips. The hungry onyx wolves stepped out, their ruby eyes lingering on my attackers. Kicking up a cloud of dirt, my ribbons whisked me out of the immediate danger. Landing roughly on top of a dormant volcano, my face fell with a bit of sarcasm at the damn thing rumbling to life beneath me.  

“What the hell!” I cussed bitterly, a half-snarl lingered on my lips. Swinging my scythe into the rock, beads of sweat hissed the moment every time the drops met the hot surface. Chipping away at the last section, a boom had me flying in the air. The hot air dried my wings enough for me to zoom into the sky, lava nearly destroying my wings. Catching my breath as I zoomed towards my father’s castle. Dodging whatever came my way, relief washed over me the moment I landed in front of my father’s door. Alarm rounded my eyes at it being open, my footfalls echoing in the ominous silence. Something was wrong, my ears picking up on his rapid breathing in the study. Closing my eyes, three demons were in the room with him. Creeping around the corner, horror tainted my features at my father struggling in a chair. Enchanted chains had drained his powers, his chances of surviving were dwindling by the second. Inky ribbons swirled around me, a sharp whistle flowed freely from my lips. The three ruby skinned bull demons charged towards me, their black horns glistening in the flames of the torches. Inky eyes flitted between them and me, his head shaking. Flipping through the air, their rusty axes narrowly hit my feet. Sprinting out of the castle, someone had to be weaker. No, should I take out the leader first. Skidding to a rough stop, something else came to mind. 

“Whose in charge?” I inquired with a sly grin, hoping the snakes would eat each other. “I can’t tell.” Letting a fit of laughter explode from my lips, an argument ensued between them. Spinning my scythe over my head, a ball of black energy built at the tip. Preparing to impale them, the answer wouldn’t matter. 

“Energy from the pits of Hell!” I chanted with a wicked grin, the argument dying down. “Impale the bulls in front of me!” Slamming the tip of scythe into the red dirt, three spikes of black energy impaled two of them. I guess two out of three wasn’t bad. Decaying to ash, the final demon groaned like the bull he was. Digging his hooves into the dirt, his hot breath formed a cloud. Good boy! Get so furious that I can win. The ground quaked with every step towards me, sparks dancing in the air with every violent clash. Flipping over him, one swing of my scythe beheaded him. His head rolled to my feet, many stomps splattering his brains across the dirt. Decaying to ash, my father needed to be set free. Booking it towards his castle, it took a minute for me to catch my breath. Waiting until my breathing was under control, an apologetic smile lingered on his lips. Bruises covered his face, my heart breaking for him. Raising my scythe over my head, one swift swing had the chains clattering to the floor. Burying me into a bear hug, his tears soaked the top of my head. 

“Thank you so much.” He wept graciously, his arms releasing me. Cursing at the torn state of his suit, he walked over to the decanter with whiskey. Pouring himself a healthy glass, the sips became deliberate and slow. 

“Can I heal your wounds?” I offered with a tired smile, his head shaking. “Why were you tied to a chair?” Hearty laughter tumbled from his lips, his trembling hands fixing his hair. Waiting patiently for an answer, he wiped the blood from the corner of his lips. 

“They were looking for you. I don’t know why but I think you pissed someone else off. I can look into it.” He chuckled with another long sip, his head resting against the nearest shelf. “Are you okay? I would normally ask why you smell like the ocean and brimstone at the same time but I don’t feel like it today. How’s the little one doing?” Holding my bump, I folded my wings. Scratching the back of my neck, the last thing I needed was for him to be in more danger. 

“You do know that you can stay at my place if you need to. I don’t want to know what would have happened if I didn’t show up.” I assured him with my genuine smile, the whiskey glass clinking against the desk. Walking up to me with a matching smile, his palms rested on my bump. Beaming with pride, any anxiety melted from his face. 

“I know. I might take you up on that offer every now and then.” He returned with a shrug of his shoulders, Matty rushing into the room. Relief flooded his features at both of us being safe, his arms clutching me close to his chest. Fresh blood met my cheeks, his strong arms refusing to let me look. 

“Don’t worry about bulls. I killed them all on the way here. You don’t destroy my shop and then go after my wife without me retaliating.” He explained simply, neither my father nor I were going to argue with him. “Our number one enemy tried to make a move but we held him back. Is our baby okay?” Taking a step back, guilt ate at me. His clothes had been torn to shreds, his finger lifting up my chin. Kissing my lips tenderly, my heart fluttered. Releasing me from his spell, he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. Michael appeared out of the corner, his ivory robes contrasting the Gothic tones of Lucifer’s home. 

“I fixed your shop.” He announced with a bright smile, his eyes falling on me. “How is the bun in the oven?” Blushing a deep scarlet, a wave of abrupt sadness hit me. Sobbing uncontrollably, Matty buried my head into his shoulders. Unsure of why I was crying, my fingers gripped what was left of his shirt. Every bad thought came flooding back, my depression dragging me down. Shivering in his strong arms, his warmth couldn’t reach me. Hating myself for putting everyone in danger, my ears pinned back. Stepping back from him, his thumbs wiped away my tears.  

“I am so sorry for inconveniencing everyone.” I wept brokenly, my body trembling in my spot. “Why are you guys so nice to me? I have only caused you trouble.” Sinking to my knees, nothing felt okay. Every breath grew shorter, my mind not finding the cause of  this random panic attack. My heart seemed seconds from beating out my chest, the dull ache haunting my chest. Curling into a ball, I hadn’t gotten this bad in a long time. Matty laid down behind me, his arms clutching me close to his chest. Holding me until my breathing returned to normal, my vision blurred. A rough slumber stole me away, his words being the last thing I heard. 

A seventeen year old version of me sat on the edge of the pond, her wet eyes meeting my broken smile. Calling me over, her frilly dress matched the dress that I wore on the day after getting beaten by my aunt. Sobbing into her palms, her wild waves spoke of how hard of a tumble I took. Layers of bruises covered her skin, the slender finger poking the water. Rings shattered the smooth surface 

“You look so pretty.” She sniffled, her sad smile matching mine. “Does it ever get better?” Staring numbly ahead, the answer was a complicated one. Unable to speak, I laid her head on my lap. Playing with her hair, horror rounded my eyes at the fresh blood matting her hair. 

“I guess. We have a family and friends that I keep endangering. I am a monster.” I answered with a false smile, her hands cupping mine. “No matter what I do, people get hurt.” Laying on her back, a soft chuckle escaped her lips. Waving her hand around, her gentle smile was enough to ease my fraying nerves. 

“Might I ask how many people you have saved?” She inquired with her genuine smile, silent tears staining her cheeks. “I know us. We would help people if we became superheroes tomorrow. I may be as depressed as you but our life sounds amazing. Did we marry Matty?” The mood lightened, I had forgotten how hopeful I could be at the darkest times. Flashing her my genuine smile, her hands rested on her flat stomach. 

“We save people all the time. Our job is to protect everyone from rotting souls. I have been married to Matty for some time now. He is the light in my dark but wasn’t he always?” I promised with a natural smile, a bit of life returning to her eyes. Rising to her feet, her hands crossed. Wishing me a lovely day as she left, I laid on my back. Holding my bump, a broken smile rested on my lips. Matty knocked on a tree, a warm breeze caused his wild hair to sway. Laying down next to me, dream walking was a new thing. 

“I learned this from one of those new spell books.” He explained with his crooked grin, his strong arms pulling my head onto his chest. “Isn’t this where we talked after work that one day until you were forced to go home? I remember how beautiful you looked that day. Underneath those bruises was a freaking angel. I don’t know what brought on that panic attack but I would like to work through that with you. What do you think caused it?” Working through the causes, nothing stood out except for Lucifer getting in trouble. 

“Everyone around me keeps getting hurt.” I uttered numbly, his lips grazing the top of my head. “My father wouldn’t be in that position or you wouldn’t have to go murder a whole bunch of demons.” Cupping my cheek, his thumb traced my cheek. 

“Is that what you think?” He mused playfully, placing me on top of him. “We all love you too much to let you do this alone. I would murder every demon in Hell to get to you.” Rubbing my bump, a tender blush rose to my cheeks. Leaning down to kiss him, my hands cupped his cheeks. Pressing my lips against his affectionately, time stopped. No noises could be heard, our hearts began to beat to our own song. Releasing him from my kiss, a goofy grin illuminated his features. 

“That will take a bit of getting used to.” I admitted sheepishly, his finger tracing my cheek. “I can’t stand to see it. I want to save you all by myself.” Chuckling to himself, his warmth came over me the moment he yanked me closer to him. Refusing to let me go, a bell ringing frayed the dream.  

Sitting up together, our bedroom greeted my eyes. His wedding band sparkled in the early morning light, his finger tracing mine. Tugging me into a bear hug, the last of my tears soaked his bare chest. Smiling to myself, Matty would always be my light.

March 06, 2024 18:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.