0 comments

Adventure Romance

Chapter 1 

I stand in the departures lounge at SSR International Airport, surrounded by my family's warm, familiar faces. The air is thick with emotion, and I can barely see through the haze of my tears. With his strong, comforting presence, my father is holding me tight as if trying to shield me from the flood of emotions crashing through my heart. His hug is familiar, steady, but today, there’s a tremble in his grip, a quiet fear he can’t hide.

“Papi, I’m going to miss you so much,” I whisper, my voice breaking. His eyes glisten with unshed tears, but he stays silent, just nodding, pulling me closer. 

My younger brother, Arjun, stands beside us. His eyes are red and puffy, reflecting the sadness that washes away his cool persona. “I’ll see you soon, Arjun, I promise,” I tell him, ruffling his hair in the way that used to annoy him. Yet today, it brings a small, sad smile to his handsome face. His lower lip quivers as he tries to be brave for me, for Papi, and himself.

My extended family—uncles, aunts, cousins—surrounds me, offering their well-wishes, their smiles tinged with sorrow. They’ve all come to see me off, to send me on this journey that will take me thousands of miles away from everything and everyone I’ve ever known. Their voices blend in a chorus of encouragement, but the pounding of my heart almost drowns out their words.

“Ria, you’ll do great things in London. We’re all so proud of you,” Auntie Meera says, pressing a kiss to my cheek, her eyes brimming with pride. I manage a smile, a shaky, tear-stained smile, but inside, I feel like I’m being torn in two. Part of me is desperate to stay, to hold onto these people, this life, but the other part— the part that made this bold decision—is pushing me forward.

My mother isn’t here. She’s in England training to be a nurse after divorcing Papi because of his affair. When she left, I thought I’d lost something essential, a piece of my heart that would never heal. It was Papi's fault, of course,  and I've told him time and again how I feel- but no matter how angry I was with Papi, it was Mami's absence I felt the most. 

I'd always planned to study abroad, and life began to make sense when I met Don, my English boyfriend, on Match.com. I decided to study and begin a new life with Don, but also to be close to the woman who raised me.

Yet, now, standing here, about to board a plane that will take me away from everything I’ve ever known, I start to have doubts.

The final call for my flight echoes through the loudspeaker, a jarring reminder that time is running out. Papi loosens his grip, stepping back just enough to look at me, really look at me. He brushes a tear from my cheek, his touch gentle, almost reverent.

“Ria, you’re going to reach the very top of whatever it is you choose to do. Don’t ever doubt yourself,” he says, his voice thick with emotion. “And remember, no matter where you go, you’ll always have a home here."

“I know, Papi." 

"And bring Don to Mauritius, it would be nice to meet him in person."

"I will." I don't want to say goodbye, and I don't want to leave. "Papi. I-"

"Off you go. Quick, before you miss your flight." 

"But-"

"You'll never know if you don't try. And remember, God is always at your side."

One last hug, one last kiss on Arjun’s forehead, and I turn to go. I don’t look back—I can’t. If I do, I might not be able to leave. My feet carry me forward, towards the security gate, towards my future. But as I hand over my boarding pass, the reality of what I’m doing crashes over me again, and I feel the tears welling up once more.

When I reach the gate, the plane is already boarding. I walk down the jet bridge, feeling like a part of me is being left behind with each step. I want to cry, scream, turn around, and run back to my family. But I keep walking, my legs heavy, my heart heavier, my emotions in a tumultuous storm that rains down my cheeks.

I finally take my seat on the plane, and  buckle my seatbelt with shaky hands. The tears keep falling, silent and relentless. I stare out the window at the island that has always been my home, my safe haven. The engines roar to life, the plane begins to move, and that’s when it hits me—I’m really doing this. I’m leaving Mauritius. I’m leaving my family, my home, my life as I know it.

But as the plane ascends, lifting me higher and higher above the land I love, something changes. The tears slowly dry, leaving me feeling strangely empty but also... light, like a burden has been lifted, even as the weight of the unknown presses down on me. 

I’m going to London. To study, to explore, to live. And yes, to finally meet Don. Just the thought of him makes my heart skip a beat. Don, who has been my rock these past six months, who has listened to my fears, my dreams, my every thought. He’s waiting for me, and the idea of finally seeing him, touching him, fills me with a nervous excitement and warmth that pushes back the sadness, igniting a spark of anticipation.

I pull out my phone and, without thinking, snap a quick selfie. My eyes are still a little red, but I force a smile, trying to capture the mix of emotions swirling inside me—fear, sadness, excitement, hope. I type a simple message: *On my way.* I take a deep breath, letting it out slowly as I settle back into my seat. The plane levels out, the island disappearing beneath the clouds, and I close my eyes, letting the excitement build slowly but surely. I’m ready for this. I’m ready for everything. 

London, here I come.

Chapter 2 

The cold air hits me as soon as I step off the plane, a sharp contrast to the warm, humid breeze I left behind in Mauritius. The grey skies, the drizzle—everything feels so different, so foreign. But through the crowd at Heathrow, I see her. Mami's face lights up the moment she spots me. I rush towards her, my suitcase clattering behind me, and as soon as I’m within reach, I’m wrapped up in a warm embrace.

“My Ria,” Mami whispers, holding me so tightly I can barely breathe. I bury my face in her shoulder, breathing in the familiar scent of her perfume, and suddenly, all the fears and uncertainties of this new life seem to melt away. I’m home—at least, as close to home as I can be with her.

The coach ride to Oxford is a blur of countryside and quiet conversation. I watch the scenery change from the sprawling city to green fields dotted with sheep. Everything feels surreal—like I’m living another life.

Mami lives in a modern block of student flats. For the next three days, we settle into a comfortable routine. Mami fusses over me, cooking all my favourite dishes—dal puri, rougaille, gateau piment—and we talk late into the night. For the first time since she left Mauritius, Mami opens up about the divorce. It’s a conversation we’ve needed to have for so long, but neither of us knew how to start it until now.

“I just couldn’t stay, Ria,” Mami says on the second night as we sit together in the living room. The house is quiet except for the sound of the rain tapping against the windows. “Everyone knew about it, about us. It was like living in a glass box. I needed space to breathe, to figure things out.”

“I missed you, Mum. A lot. I needed you.”

Mami reaches out, taking my hand in hers. “I missed you too."

"But you left." It sounds harsher than intended. But I've been thinking about it since the day she said goodbye. 

"I knew you’d be okay, Ria."

"How can you say that?"

"Your dad has his company and the means to give you a bright future. I had nothing, and moved back into your Nanna's. I felt worthless."

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry." Mami let go of my hand and pulls a tissue from her jacket pocket. "What you don't understand is, I left school at sixteen because your father told me I'd never need to work- and I believed him." She dabs her wet cheeks with her tissue. "Now I'm forty-six and back at college." 

"Well, if it makes you feel a little better, Papi is full of regret." 

 "A good man who let his success feed his ego." Mami squeezes my shoulders and stares at me. "Never take your eye off the ball. I did, and look what happened.”

The following day, it’s time for me to head north to meet Don. We get the bus to Oxford train station, and the mood gets a little heavier now that the goodbye is imminent. As the bus approaches the station, Mami hands me a large wrapped package she has been carrying since we left. "This is for you, Ria."

“What’s is it?”.

“A winter coat,” Mai smiles as she watches me unfold the white padded Parker coat. “You’ll need it here. The weather’s nothing like Mauritius."

"Niiice."

 "Westgate is more expensive that Port Louis Market- so look after it.”

I feel its weight. “It's perfect.”

“Take care of yourself, Ria,” Mami hugs me tightly. “And don’t forget to call us when you get there. And give my love to Don.”

“I will,” 

As I turn to leave, Mami reaches out again and drags me into one last embrace. "I'm glad you have forgiven me,"

The train pulls into the station with a rush of wind and the smell of hot engine oil. I step aboard, my heart pounding with excitement. It’s my first time on a train, and I can’t help but smile as I settle into my seat, watching the English countryside blur past the window. The fields, the villages, the rolling hills—it’s like something out of a storybook.

A couple of hours into the journey, I need to use the toilet. I make my way down the narrow aisle, feeling a bit unsteady as the train sways. When I reach the toilet, I step inside, and hit the close button, hearing the door sliding shut behind me.

Just as I’m about to finish, the door slides open, and a young man stands there, his eyes wide with shock. For a split second, we just stare at each other, both frozen in embarrassment. "Oh, sorry." He covers his eyes with his hand, "The door wasn't locked."

Only now do I see the big red button that screams LOCK. "My mistake." I lean over and press the close button, and the door slides shut once more. This time, I hit the lock button.

I sit there, mortified, my face burning with embarrassment. When I finally leave the toilet, the young man is nowhere to be seen, and I feel immense relief.

Surely it can't get worse, can it? 

Back at my seat, I still feel the heat of embarrassment in my cheeks. But soon enough, the rhythm of the train lulls me into a light sleep. I dream of green fields and open skies, of Don’s voice, warm and comforting, telling me everything will be okay.

The sound of the train announcement wakes me suddenly. “Next stop, Wigan North Western.” I jolt awake, disoriented for a moment before I realise where I am. I grab my bag and my luggage, my heart racing as I prepare to meet Don for the first time. But as I step off the train, something catches my eye—or rather, something doesn’t.

My coat is still on my seat.

I watch helplessly as the train pulls away, taking my new coat. I'm suddenly transported back to my childhood and fear my mother's wrath. “No, no, no!”

There’s no time to dwell on it, though. I need to find Don. My heart pounds with a mix of anticipation and nerves as I scan the platform, looking for the man I’ve been dreaming about for months.

And then I see him. Tall, with his brown hair and fair-coloured skin that I recognize from our video calls. He’s right there, just a few meters away, but he’s not alone. A woman stands beside him, her skin the same shade of brown as mine. They’re talking, their heads close together, and before I can call out to him, they start walking towards the subway.

What the f- 

A wave of confusion and fear washes over me. Who is she? Why is she with him? My heart sinks as I watch them disappear into the subway, my mind racing with a hundred questions. I try calling Don, but it goes straight to voicemail. I dial again, hoping he’ll answer, but nothing.

What do I do? My mind is spinning, and I just stand there, frozen. But, a resolve builds within me. I can’t just stand here and do nothing. I need answers.

Taking a deep breath, I start walking towards the subway pulling my luggage, following Don and the mystery woman into the shadows.

Chapter 3

I hurry down the steps into the subway, my heart pounding in my chest. The walls are cold, grey, and the air feels heavy with anticipation. I’m running on pure adrenaline now, driven by the fear of what I might find. As I round the corner, I see him sitting on the stairs, his head in his hands. He looks shaken, as if the world around him has just come crashing down.

“Don?” I call out, my voice trembling.

His head snaps up, and our eyes meet. There’s a moment of confusion, a flicker of disbelief, before he quickly puts on his glasses, almost fumbling with them in his haste. “Ria?” he asks, his voice a mix of relief and anxiety.

I nod, taking a tentative step towards him. “What’s going on? Who was that woman?”

Don looks at me, then glances around as if trying to piece everything together. He runs a hand through his hair, clearly embarrassed. “I... I’m so sorry, Ria. I—”

“What happened?” 

“As the train approached, I realised you'd not seen me with glasses on. So, I took them off. Wigan's kinda white, like. So when this a young Indian-"

"I'm not Indian."

"I—I thought she was you. I went to hug her but she recoiled in horror..” He rubs his temples, clearly frustrated with himself. “I thought you  rejected me.”

I stare at him, letting the story sink in. For a moment, I don’t know how to react. The whole situation is so absurd, so far from what I had imagined our first meeting would be like. But then, something inside me shifts, and I start to laugh. It’s a small chuckle at first, but it quickly grows, bubbling up deep within me.

“You’re laughing?”

“I’m sorry,” I say between giggles, covering my mouth with my hand. “It’s just… of all the things that could have happened..”

“I know, it’s ridiculous. I just didn’t want you to think I looked different from what you’ve seen online. You know? Feel cheated, like. The truth is, I'm blind as a bat.”

I can’t stop laughing now, the tension of the past few minutes melting away. “Don, you’re such a goof ball. But I’m glad you're mine.”

He grins, and the sight spreads a warm feeling through my chest. “I’m really sorry. This isn’t how I wanted our first meeting to go.”

I step closer, the last of my laughter dying down, leaving us standing just a few centimetres apart. I can feel his breath on my lips. “It’s okay. It wasn’t the grand romantic moment I’d pictured, but… it’s still ours, isn’t it?”

Don leans in, closing the small gap between us.. I can feel the electricity in the air. Don gently tilts my chin up, his thumb brushing lightly against my skin. For a moment, time seems to stand still, the world around us fading away. Slowly, he leans in, and our lips meet for the first time.

The kiss is soft, tender, and everything I’d hoped it would be. There’s no awkwardness, no hesitation—just the pure connection we’ve built over the past six months, finally taking shape in this simple but perfect moment. As his arms wrap around me, pulling me closer, I feel a sense of safety and belonging that I’ve never felt before.

When we finally pull apart, we stand there, just holding each other, neither wanting to break the spell. I know that this is only the beginning and that there will be challenges ahead—cultural differences, the distance from home, and the realities of a relationship that started online. But right now, in his arms, I feel like we can face anything together.

“It wasn’t the first meeting I dreamed about,” I admit, resting my head against his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. “But this… this feels right.”

Don presses a kiss to the top of my head, his arms tightening around me. “It does, doesn’t it?”

And in that moment, I know that we’ll figure it out together whatever the future holds. Because with Don by my side, I have a partner, someone I've learned to trust, someone I can build a life with.

Hand in hand, we walk out of the station into the grey, drizzly day, and I know that this is just the beginning of our love story.

And won't be taking my eye off the ball.

August 30, 2024 12:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.