0 comments

Inspirational

Part 1


Monday, November 4, 2019: 8:59 a.m.


The calming sound of Early Riser woke Naomi from a deep and relaxing sleep. She struggled for a minute trying to find her phone before turning the alarm off. And with the pesky alarm off, she could begin her day. She went into the bathroom to freshen up. First brushing and combing her thick black hair, than brushing her teeth, than taking a shower. After putting a towel on her body, she went into her closet and put on a floral print corduroy pinafore dress, a white long sleeve turtleneck, and a pair of brown ankle boots. She went to the kitchen and began to make coffee. she opened the windows, letting in the fresh breeze. The sound of a beautiful Pitohui singing peacefully in the fall atmosphere.


“ding”.


There went the coffee machine. Naomi picked up her coffee mug and sat down at the bar. She took a sip and opened her laptop, logging into the most important things, YouTube, Gmail, Facebook, you know the usual social media an average woman in her mid 20’s would be using. After logging into gmail, she noticed there was an email from the Manchester University. Her heart raced as she open the email.


Subject: Acceptance Letter


Dear Ms. lamar, 


I am glad that you are interested in joining us for this school year. As you already have known, we teach many classes and provide scholarships for those who don’t have the money to pay for such a education. I also heard that you an inspiring author. As a novelist myself, it is music to my ears that someone would be interested in fine art of literature. I speak for everyone when I say, we will be glad to have you attend our school. Because here at Manchester University: Acceptance is the most important thing!  Our contact information is in the previous email was sent to your account. When you arrive to New York, their will already be a condo complex in your name. Along with your own car. We can’t wait to see you :)




Sincerely, Professor Oswald Wintringham


Naomi nearly choked on her coffee. Startled, she re-read the email again and with Astonishment jumped around her kitchen almost tripping on the leg of her chair. She immediately began to reply to email, being careful and making sure she didn’t mess up a single word. After calming down, she picked up her phone and dialed the number provided in the previous email. 


hello”


She took a breathe and spoke.


”Uh, Hi my name Naomi Lamar and I am calling about the email I received from your school”.


Okay ma’am did you apply for our school because that’s the only way for you to receive it”.


Yes I actually applied last week, The bottom of the letter says Professor Oswald Wintringham“


The lady tone changed. 


ahh yes professor W., I heard about you from him”. “Are you calling about the time and location”?


Actually yes I am, see I live all the way in Colorado and I’m not sure of where the college is”.


that is fine, We are in Saratoga Springs, New York, but since you seem far, we will automatically pay for you plane ticket here”.


Naomi felt relieved. Thinking about how she would be able to pay for a plane 

ticket. Gladly that problem was solved. 


“Question, what time should I start packing my things”?


Well the Professor would like to meet you by tomorrow, so I would say today”.


“Okay, thank you”.


And with that she hung up the phone. She sat their for a minute, planning everything out in her head. She had already planned to go to a café but this, this was actually something she would be looking forward too. Naomi, being a writer since she was 14, had dreamed of going to this college. Planning ahead, saving up money, taking writing lessons, she was actually ready for this day to come. She went back up to her room and began to pack her belongings and tossing each bag over the balcony of the second floor.  


As she was packing, she couldn’t help but to go in the attic. She pulled down the latter and went up, nearly falling but caught her balance. She turned her flashlight on and began to search in the old rusty boxes that had been their for almost two years. There, in the corner of the attic was a small box labeled Mom. She opened the box and found a picture of her late mother, smiling as if she would have if she was alive. She grabbed the picture and went back downstairs. 


Before putting in her bag, she kissed the picture and said “You would have been proud mother”. After exiting the attic, she grabbed her bags and placed them in the trunk of her Kia Soul EV. Promptly almost forgetting to lock the door out of excitement, she double checked just to make sure. She jumped into her car and was on the road. While driving she grabbed her phone and called her best friend, while also trying to keep her eyes on the road. The call was about 20 minutes long, before she hung up. 20 minutes prior to her making that phone call, she pulled up at her best friend house. She got the car and went up to the door. She knocked. She the was greeted by her best friend Scarlett’s affectionate smile. Scarlett hugged her friend tightly.


“Omg I can’t believe you got approved for college,I’m so happy for you”.


“I know, i have to leave today, I need you to take me to the airport”.


“Sure of course, but what about your car”?


“Your gonna take it, and make sure it’s fine until I get back”?


“Oh okay give me a second to get ready”.


After 3 minutes of waiting, Scarlett was ready and so they both got into Naomi’s car and drove to the airport. The ride on the freeway was so peaceful. Blasting wildest dreams by Katy Perry, with the windows down and the wind blowing heavily into the girls faces. It was around 6:45, so the sun was beginning to set. The beautiful sunset was red and orange, blended with a little bit of purple and a light baby blue. The white fluffy clouds danced across in the sky, creating either funny or elegant pictures. The mountains sat still in the horizon. The beautiful birds flew in the sky,making a formation. Colorado was indeed a beautiful state.


They finally made it to the airport. Scarlett helped Naomi with her bags, and took them into the building. After all the bags were out of the car, Naomi gave her best friend the keys to her car and than she pulled off.  Naomi tried to carry all the heavy bags at once but ended up dropping them. She sighed in frustration as she tried to pick all her bags back up. Just then, as if god had sent down an angel, a man with brown curls and hazelnut eyes helped Naomi get her bags off the ground. His smile was soft and sweet. He looked as if he was blushing, and Naomi had notices that.


“Oh my, thank you so much”.


Naomi was a little nervous though, just by the way he was built.


“Oh no problem, I don’t really mind helping a pretty lady like you”.


“Mhm cute”


“My name is Dean By the way”.


“Nice to meet you Dean, I’m Naomi”


“I had a feeling your name would be as pretty as your face”. He smiled.


Naomi blushed a little, nobody had ever called her pretty.But inside her mind, in the back of her head, she had a feeling he was just being nice. He helped her carry her bags to her seat. Surprisingly he sat next down next to her. She was a little weirded out about this but didn’t mind. She opened her laptop and went back into gmail to recover the address for the apartment in New York. She could feel him staring at her. His soft eyes peering into the side of her head . She could see the corner of her eye that he was also smiling. She finally turned to him.


“Dear sir may I ask, why are you staring at me”?


“I mean who wouldn’t want to stare at you”?


She thought to herself, oh god, not with these guys again. She turned back to computer, opening a document that already had words on it. She began typing...


The snow beat down on her car, feeling like stones being thrown from up above. Maddison tried to drive in the Disgusting weather but her tires could not compete with the ice road. She lost control over the wheel and smashed into a tree, passing out...


Naomi noticed again that he was watching her. She turned and asked again. 


“Why do you keep looking at me”?


“I’m sorry, I’m just intrigue by the plot of your story, may I ask what is it about”?


She signed. “The story is called Under The Winter’s Bridge, and it’s about a woman who is writing a novel and ends up getting stuck in the snow”.


He whistled in amusement. “That’s a pretty interesting story, so where you headed”?


Saratoga Springs, New York”.


“Oh travel buddies, I’m going there as well”.


“Cool”.


Dialogue continued between the two for about 30 minutes. Mostly talking about family, dreams and desires. Talking about goals In life. From favorite colors to favorite food. Honestly deep down inside Naomi had never really had a full conversation with anyone, mainly because she would mostly be in her house writing a chapter for her novel , Sweet Sinners, or at a café drinking a lattè and listening to audiobooks. But this was a real conversation, not like that one guy and his poor excuse for dating set up.  Mid conversation, a lady’s voice appeared on the announcer:  All passengers boarding the flight to New York, please aboard the plane. Naomi got up and proceeded to to door, when the lady asked for her name.


“Naomi Lamar is my name”.


“Oh okay I see, your flight is already paid for, so your good”.


Naomi boarded the plane, sitting in the front of the plane, hoping to be as close to the exit door as possible. And of course, Dean sat right next to her. She didn’t mind this time. Sooner or later the plane took off and they were in the air. Naomi looked out the window and noticed all the different lights that flickered in the dark above her city, like the lights were dancing in the moonlight. She put her headphones in her ears and played her favorite song in a loop, Kina- get you the moon ft. Snow. As the sound of the lyrics danced though her ears, she fell asleep with her head on the airplane window.

———————————————————————————————————————


Wednesday, November 6, 2019


Alright passengers the plane is now landing, please remain seated until the plane has completely landed on the ground. 


Naomi woke up by a tap from Dean. She unplugged her headphones and stared at him. He than explained that they had just landed and that it was time for them to get off. She stretched and fully woke herself up. She stood up, waiting for dean to move out of the way. She exited the plane and entered the airport, than proceeded to grab her bags. Hurrying to the door, she checked her phone, looking for the number the college gave her for the guy who was driving her new car. She was already at the door when a a white sedan was waiting parked on the curb. A man rolled down the window and started talking.


“Hola Ms. are you Naomi”?


“Yes I am”?


He got out the car and handed her the keys to her new car. She put all her belongings in the car and drove off. She put her address in the GPS of the car and began driving and listening for directions. As she drove through Saratoga Springs, she was amazed about how beautiful it was. So many buildings, so many fun sights to see, man she wanted see everything. But before she could, she had to drop her things off and head to the college immediately. 


———————————————————————————————————————————


She pulled in the drive way in excitement. The beautiful peach and white condo sat on cliff not too far from the ocean. She pulled into the garage and took her bags out of her car and took them into the house. She sat her bags down and checked her phone. 2:34, Shit, I’m gonna be late. She jumped right back In her car, started the GPS and was then on her way to the college. A long a peaceful drive later, she made it and just in time. 3:44. She parked her car, locked her door and walking up to the door. She opened it and saw a lady with fresh blond curls in a suit. 


Hi how may I help you”?


Yes, I took a plane here from Colorado and I’m here to see Professor Wintringham”.



Ahh your that new student, Naomi Lamar is it”?


“Yes it is”?


Okay please take a seat, I’ll let him know your here”.


Naomi sat down in a chair next to a large glass window, across from it was a large picture with what she assumed to be all the staff here and great Professor himself. She was really nervous but also very excited. This was her time now. Her time to show people what she could do. Show the world her stories and hopefully make a novel. Naomi Lamar, all over books and build-boards, posters and business cards. Book signings, people asking for autographs . All of those dreams were coming true. Just then, she heard her name being called.


Ms. Lamar, the Professor will see you now”.


She stood up palms sweaty, heart beating heavily. No, there is no need to be nervous. Walk in there with a smile, you can do it. She walked through a door that lead into a very long hallway. The lady took her all the way down the hallway to the last door. She knocked once. A male voice responded with “come on”. Before she opened the door she got a text message from Dean. He said Good luck with a thumbs up emoji and a smiling emoji. She smiled and opened the door. A very young looking man peered up and smiled at her. He stood up and walked towards her.


You must be the new student, please state your name”.



She couldn’t believe was here, she couldn’t believe she made it this far. She was ready. She was ready to make her mother proud.


“Yes my name is Naomi”.


He started asking her questions. Like what did she like to write, what were her favorite hobbies. You know the normal “get to know you” questions. 


So I hear you have a book you want me to check out”.


She grinned.


“Yes I am working on it right now, it’s about an inspiring author who tries to achieve her dreams”.


 fascinating, what do you call it”.


A Bridge To Success”.


November 03, 2020 17:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.