0 comments

Fiction Romance

''Steve ! Steve ! Will you put these confounded golf clubs in the garage, or the loft or somewhere ? I am sick and tired of having them fall out every time I open the closet !''

Amanda pushed the hair back off her face as she stood the golf bag upright and stuffed three or four clubs back into place.

''Sorry love, but I can't really put the clubs away, I still want to work on my swing, but I haven't had much time lately.'' Steve said as he descended the stairs.

''No, not since you took up fencing.'' Amanda said in an ominously quiet and reasonable voice.

''Well, that's right.'' Steve agreed.

'' Did you remember that tonight is your fencing lesson ?''

'' Er, well, you see.....''

''You're doing something else.'' A statement, not a question.

''Er, well, George suggested that I went along with him to check out the new billiard hall in Lancaster Square....he's heard it's very good.''

''Very good is it ? And is snooker going to be the new golf ?''

'' No of course not, it....''

'' Provide as much stretch and toning as fencing, will it ? '' Sarcasm and anger fought for supremacy in Amanda's tone.

'' There's no reason to suppose that I'll give up one for the other., It is possible to have more than one interest at a time.'' Steve's voice sounded defensive, probably because he knew what would follow.

'' If it is possible to play snooker and learn fencing, then why are you missing fencing tonight ? Why not play snooker another night?''

'' Well, I told you, George is going and.....''

''And will George go on the same night every week ?''

''I don't know.''

''Remember you paid in advance for the whole season's lessons. Seems a shame to waste the money if you could persuade George to go on another night.'' Amanda was all reason and patience, but there was a suggestion of her having accepted the inevitable.

''Oh, I know Love.but I do want to check out this new place it is supposed to be very good.''

''Mm, so you said.'' Amanda turned towards the kitchen.''Do you want some coffee ? I'm making some.'' she said evenly. '' Fruit and yogurt is on the table.''

''Oh, that would be just right, the perfect breakfast.'' Steve enthused.

Amanda glanced at the three shelves of cookery books in the kitchen island. At least she could make use of those. They were the legacy of an enthusiasm for learning to cook like the contestants on their favourite cooking show on television....Steve's enthusiasm of course. She remembered with a certain nostalgia, the way they had dined on coq au vin , chicken risotto , four cheese lasagna and a succulent paella , all cooked with exact ingredients and meticulous care, no corners cut, no substituted items which were not at hand or seemed too expensive, which she readily admitted was always her method. Steve had shown every promise of turning into a first class cook....but then he had caught the photography bug. She had thought that his earlier brush with photography would have given him a certain immunity, but no; this was digital photography, a whole new strain and quite expensive to cure. It was a good job Steve had a good job, she mused, as she poured the coffee.

With Steve at work and both the kids away at university, Amanda had plenty of time on her hands. Today, she would tidy the hall closet, and maybe make more room for the golf bag, she thought. Heaven alone knew what else was stacked away in there,....well, she did remember the scuba diving equipment....that had been given a second lease on life when Michael had used it from time to time. Fortunately, both the kids were consistent in their enthusiasms. Michael liked swimming and hockey, while with Lucy it was dancing and the cello . Wow, she smiled. my good sense and their Dad's brains....how lucky is that ?

The closet revealed a Scrabble set from the winter a few years ago when Steve had joined the club at the library. These stamp albums must date from school days, judging by the writing ,and Oh, books and C.D.s on how to teach yourself Chinese ! She had never been aware of that . Probably even Steve knew in advance that he would never keep that up for long.

Two tennis racquets. Maybe they could both take up tennis again, That would be something which they could enjoy together.She put the racquets to one side, intending to give them a prominent position.

what on earth is in this box ?it weighs a ton! she thought. Oh ! bowls, lawn bowls. Well, maybe that was something else they might do together. Amanda felt a little thrill of excitement. Maybe they could have some joint hobbies, something good could come from this clear out . It had been so long since she had a hobby, a hobby of choice that is. She gardened, and she had come to enjoy it, but initially she had only started to garden because it appeared to be the one activity which held no fascination for Steve. She smiled when she remembered Steve's determination to master carpentry, and the selection of slightly off kilter book racks, kitchen equipment racks and the like. With a wide grin, she went and looked out of the kitchen window at the bird feeder which had been there long enough for the slope to the left to be attributed to general wear and tear.

Returning to the closet Amanda continued to pull out reminders of one hobby after another. The man was incorrigible ! Too lacking in determination to follow a new pursuit until he reached a respectable standard....or too curious about something new that might otherwise never be sampled ? He could be infuriatingly butterfly-like , hopping here, landing there, but, and it was a big but; he had pursued her, never deterred nor discouraged by competition, and he had stayed with her for a good many years now, always providing for and loving her and the children. She thought that a closet full of discarded hobby STUFF was a very small price to pay for a lifetime of love.

ENDS.

January 23, 2021 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.