0 comments

Speculative Science Fiction Fiction


After so many years, we are finally coming back. Seeking is not human nature it needs a push and a reason to unleash. I was reading the letter from RAUB, the fabled organization. It was authentic, I made sure of it. They want to recruit me for Researching. Researching. A long time has passed hearing that word when an arrest warrant is not involved, thirty or forty years, maybe. It doesn’t feel as long as it is. They wrote, something threatening needs to be stopped and they want me to help them. But, there were no dates.

The era of discovery lasted a microsecond with respect to the human history itself. Now, it has ended with the atmosphere, not only space, marred with remains of technological origin. The very same thing that gave a morsel of the beyond ended all modes of ever having another. Is it irony or hypocrisy? I can’t remember the difference.

There was a phone inside the letter. I grew cautious. Nobody can see this relic which, for others, is a criminal possession. It is a Haikiu 4520 the most popular phone of all time. I fumbled with it and pressed the switch on/ off button. The phone blazed with life. It gave off the usual recorded noise. I hid it under the mattress and reflexively began staring at the locked door. I grinned. I had missed this thing.

When all seeking stopped, we were working on teleportation. We were the last. Somehow, UN back then was helping us. But, teleportation requires a lot of resources. They stopped. And then it all dissolved. UN was none the exception.

The Climate apocalypse was not a one day event. Years passed. We are reliving the 19th century again. Why? because what we have is enough. Technology was burning the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide was peaking. Sulphur dioxide invaded the greenest forests. Stars were impeded everywhere. Coral reefs shrunk. Perhaps, we were in a state of suicidal seeking. We were discovering more species on the cost of their extinction. I support it. But, still, I wish it was different, somehow.

I took the phone out. I held the device and turned it on. It was bright. I shielded my arm onto my eyes and whimpered. I used to watch movies in VR without rest. I felt like my own grandpa at the time. The phone was password protected. I didn’t know what they wanted so, I kept it aside. The glory and thrill of a phone had distracted me from reading the complete letter.

Dear Sir,

We, RAUB (Resistance Against Unidentified Beings), the only organization against unearthly beings, affiliated and recognized by GBON (Governing Body Of all Nations) are happy to announce your selection for the crafting of Pre-ruination era utensils that will help all of us to protect our mother nature from outside forces. You will be tasked to form the utensils that were discontinued in the past until necessary. We were impressed by your qualification and your contribution in the cleansing of our mother nature despite your counterparts. You will be provided accommodation along with a place to chat and talk with your peers and a shopping complex to lead a life that doesn’t feel away from normality. In your absence, your family will be provided insurance in the form of monetary help and scholarship for your children so that you can work without a worry for your close ones.

Details of your transfer are in the mini-digital safe.

Thank you.

I was staring in the wall. Thinking. Why do they need to send me a letter and ‘request’ my presence? GBON’s favorite method is to arrest. Then, I saw the phone held tightly under my fingers. I threw it on the bed and ran to bathroom as soon as possible. Frantically, I turned the valve on and washed my hands applying the proper method of hand washing we all learn but nobody follows. That day was going to be different.

I wore some rubber gloves and cleaned the device. I covered an aluminum foil over it, then a piece of cloth. I kept the dull side of the foil out to simulate a poor imitation of a silver bar. I kept it inside a cloth bag. When digital payments were banned, society began to shift for the more traditional methods of investment. People buy a gold brick, a real gold brick. Wait for its prize to increase, and then sell it. Everyone’s favorite method is hoarding, myself included. Everyone knows that everyone does. Even the man who wrote our new rulebook. Mr. Hari Tejasvi. He was arrested for the same years later. I still laugh whenever I think about it. This will never go old to this old man.

I walked to a landfill and chose a shy corner to put the bag. People were unceremoniously walking by. The landfill was in an empty land in the deeper end of my colony. Nobody bothers. Before, we used those big vehicles to treat these places. Now, I do not remember their name. I crinkled my nose and took wide steps lest my slippers get anymore dirty. The locals here are probably used to this smell. I certainly was not. Just as many fragrances greet you inside a restaurant making you salivate and think of all the possibilities you could have; Many odors greeted me, all mixed up into a final product that forced my stomach to contract and my mouth to gag. In the peak of that afternoon, the sun rays were slapping me, making my skin burn. Still it gave me a favor as it partially masked the effect of the stench upon me. I would have vomited otherwise. I put the bag and gladly strode out.

Mr. Henry Johnson came to me. He lives in this colony but we only know each other. We haven’t talked in the past. When I saw him, I felt my doubt confirming. “The police are at your doorstep!” He said. Feigning my best worried face I asked him, “why?” He denied any more knowledge in this matter. I thanked him and we went our way.

I was glad. I began to stroll and thought of the potential questions and their answers. When my house grew nearer, I began to stride.

Five policemen were standing on the outside talking to my daughter, Meena. When I came to her field of view, she gave me a worried look but said nothing. “What is happening?” I asked in general direction. Now, all of them were looking at me.

“Mr. Bhanot, we have anonymous tip against you for possession of an illegal technological artifact.” One man with more badges than the rest spoke. He showed me a search warrant. I wrinkled my head and crossed my arms, “What artifact?” I asked.

“A Ray Emitting Device.”

“Like phones and infrared lights?”

“That’s correct, sir.”

“And who are you?”

He introduced me as the inspector of the police station near to my house. Then, he allowed himself and his men to search my house.

“Dad?” Meena delicately spoke.

“Yes?”

“What is happening?”

“I know as much as you do. Don’t worry, we will be okay.” I flashed a small smile.

“I hope so.” Her eyes were looking at the ground.

 “You don’t trust me?” I smirked.

“No no, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I was just joking, honey.”

She relaxed.

Try to keep your head clear, okay? Victor will come soon. You took your medications?

She nodded.

“All of them?”

“Not the iron ones…..”

I smiled.

"Dad I want to tell you something." She hesitated.

"What is it?"

"Later. For now, we should keep an eye on them."

“You can, if you want. I am sleeping.”

She objected.

“They will search everything, anyway.”

I tried to enter my room, but they stopped me, saying that I can’t enter my room before their investigation is over. My letter was still on my bed. This realization had only come to me now. All options suddenly felt shut. I dropped on the sofa in living room staring at the police officers at work and convincing myself otherwise. There has to be an option. The audible beatings happening inside my chest, smoldering sweat dropping down my forehead made it harder for me to think. The letter mentioned mini-digital safe. Mini-digital safe is an elite box of elite people for elite reasons. No, I was overthinking. If they saw a letter from GBON, they will just stop questioning me, even become cautious around me. That won’t be a problem.

I was made to unlock my room. The bed was made and the letter was gone. I was both relieved and anxious. And my face and body language took no stone unturned in showing it.

“You look pale, sir.”

I came out of my trance.

“Yes, sometimes I get pale after walking. This body is not what it used to be.”

He nodded and brought my chair closer.

“Sit here while we search your room. It won’t take long.”

Sitting there, I watched them using metal detectors to search for my phone. In this era of technological degeneration, metal detectors certainly gained more credit and viability. They also had a finger print scanner but, they never got the chance to use it. When the inspector was satisfied, he said, “Congratulations. We found no RED in your premises. I commend for being patient with our search and your honesty as a citizen. We appreciate and care for citizens like you.” This is all standard protocol. I waited for him to finish and leave, but he paused and asked me to talk in private.

I took him.

He handed me a letter.

“My superiors asked me give you this letter.”

“Which superiors?”

“I can’t tell.”

I didn’t want to push forward either.

The letter was sealed tight, so, I guessed that this inspector hadn’t read this letter.

Fair enough. Then, I thanked him.

After seeing him and his men off, Meena, who was sitting inside her room the whole time, came out.

“Better?” I asked.

“Yes.” She smiled.

 “Dad.” Her tone took a 180 degree turn from afraid to resolute.

She held a piece of paper in front of me. I jumped. I thanked her a million times. I was about to ask her why but….

“What are you doing?”

My mouth got shut. The answer? I had planned to twist it all a bit to make it easier for her. But, the milk had spilled a long time ago. I had to tell her everything.

“I do not like this, dad.”

“Me too.”

“Can’t we hide?”

“Hide?”

“They will take you away if you do not go.” She cried.

I quietened her.

“We do not want our neighbours to know.”

“Right.” She was sobbing.

GBON is absolute. There is no option, even for this man in his 80s. I let her speak her mind. She was unhappy. But, she understood. We sat together in the living room and I opened the letter inspector gave. A code 2404 was written. The code for opening the silver bar lying in the landfill more valuable the land it is upon. Despite the evening curfew, I managed to get the phone and unlocked.

There was a memo with an address for a dock somewhere. The phone was empty otherwise.

In 2 days, I packed my belongings.

Meenu tried to help but, I could see her contempt directed against GBON and this fabled organization RAUB. Whenever I was not packing, I was walking around my colony or the streets or my house. I wanted to take it all in. But then, in this horse-cart driven world, my mind still feels more afresh for the cars and bikes that blew everyone’s ears as they horned in a traffic congested road. They weren’t pleasant, but nostalgia makes them.

On the dock, we said our final good bye. Despite having no dates in the letter, I promised her to comeback someday.




April 23, 2021 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.