0 comments

Fantasy Romance Thriller

"Umhm!"

"Umhm!" I repeat louder this time. It's the first day of school and this class won't shut up. It's going to be a long year.

"Everyone please quiet down!" I yell. Finally, they listen. Thank God. "Welcome back to Scarlet Moon Academy. My name is Mrs. E, and I am your World's Creatures teacher. I'm sure you all think as supernaturals, that you already know all there is to know about yourself and your mythical friends. Especially since this is your last year at the Academy. Right?" I scan the classroom, waiting for the stupid kids to nod. Five do.

"Yeah, we do!" one yells. Is that Jacob Flinch? Yup. Dumb ass.

"Is that so Mr. Flinch?" I challenge. I walk over to his desk, stopping right over him raising my eyebrow. I am eight feet tall, one of the smallest of my kind but much taller than this vampire. He doesn't speak, hell I don't think he's breathing. Not like he needs to.

"W-Well Mrs. E, like you said this is our last year. Most of us have been here for 10 years, don't we already know everything," he asks.

"Let's think about that class. To go into society you are required to take 10 years of supernatural schooling. Believe it or not, the 10th year is the most important. The previous nine years you got to learn all the fun things about your powers and how to use them. This year you get to learn about the horrors of our world. What happens when you use your powers incorrectly. And what happens when rules are broken. But, most importantly you'll learn just how many creatures want to kill you," I pause to see many stunned faces.

 "And of course how to deal with them,” I'm so glad I've been teaching this class for 400 years and still manage to shock kids. “Still think this class isn't necessary Mr. Flinch?" I ask.

"N-No Mrs. E," Jacob says.

"So glad we're on the same page. I don't want to hear any more nonsense from any of you. Now take out your notebooks, let's get on to our first topic."

-------

"Manticores. They are now extremely rare. Only one is born every 100 years. Who can tell me about them?" I ask the class. Harry Phillip raises his hand. This should be good. "Yes, Mr. Phillip, tell us about Manticores."

"The ugly lion creature with a human head. Right?" he asks. I laugh way too loud and have to take a moment to compose myself.

"Wrong. Manticores are human-looking creatures that are insanely strong and beautiful," I correct. Pore Harry shrinks down in his set.

"Fun fact about Manticores," I continue. "When two Manticores fall in love they have the power to see through each other's eyes. Literally. They can hear each other's thoughts and feel what each other feels. But, only if the other allows them to. And if they have enough strength to keep their eyes connected. It's very draining to keep both sets of eyes connected for a long time," I say looking at the class.

These idiots are all confused. "For example, say you are looking at the ocean and want to share the beautiful view with your partner. But, they're not with you. You can telepathy connect your eyes together. Causing them to be looking through your eyes seeing whatever you're seeing at the moment. It's like they're there with you."

"Sounds romantic, right? Usually. But, it is also a tool that can be life-saving," I conclude.

"Life-saving? How?" Miss. Carpenter asks.

"I’m so glad you asked Miss. Carpenter. Let me tell you guys a little story. This happened about… oh, 350 years ago."

------

"Dead! What do you mean he's dead?" I ask Mrs. L crying. I just saw him yesterday. Today is the last day of school. We both would have graduated from Scarlet Moon Academy. We were going to finally start our lives together. Now I'll never see him again.

"Althea, please calm down, we are still looking for him. He's just been presumed dead," Mrs. L tells me.

"That's practically the same thing, "I say, crying my eyes out.

"Althea relax. I know this sounds bad but we are still looking for him. There have been 31 other Manticores that have disappeared in the last two months. I'm sure he’s with them. Just try and get some rest," she says. As she leaves my dorm.

------

"Ugh," I sigh in my bed. How am I supposed to sleep when Eryx could be dead? I'll just take a sleeping pill. I think to myself as I get out of bed and make my way to the kitchen.

I grab a glass and start to pour some water into it when I see images flash in front of my eyes. "Ugh!" I gasp as I drop the glass of water. The images take over my vision completely. I see what looks like a dark cave with many cells in it. I'm in one trying to get out. I can't. I feel so weak. 

"Althea! Althea!"

It's Eryx's voice.

If he connected to me that means he’s alive! I can see, and feel what's happening. He is also speaking to me with telepathy. He is so weak already. How long can he keep this up? 

"Eryx!" I scream. "I can see. Where are you?" 

No response. 

"Eryx!!!" 

No response! 

We aren't connected anymore. He doesn't have enough strength to keep the connection.

"Dame it!" I say when I see that I'm back in my dorm. I can't connect to him because I haven't been where he is.

Or have I?

He was only able to connect to me because he's been in my dorm before. But, that place did look familiar.

"Think Althea! Think!" I tell myself. One of the powers I have is to run through all my memories. I can remember any conversation, feeling, person, book, or anywhere I've been. I look through all the places I've ever seen.

"No..." I say. Taking a step back, accidentally stepping on the broken glass. But I don't care. This can't be right. I went through all my memories and found the room he's in. But, it can't be right. If it is then I'm standing right over it. My memories told me that he is in the old “Cave Classroom” . We stopped using it because "It wasn't safe". It's forbidden to go in there.

We'll see about that.

------

No one should be up right now it's past midnight. The Cave is in the basement of the school so no one should hear me.

"Shit!" I say when I see that there's a spell covering the door. Let's see if I remember my 9th grade reverse spell.

"Aloohamora, Incendio, Atrivano, Natos Evrana!" I chant these words and the spell disappears.

"Yes!" I say as I go in.

It looks so different from the old classroom. There are cells everywhere. Unchonish creatures lie in almost all of them.

"Althea..."

I hear a faint voice say my name. "Eryx?" I call going closer to the voice.

"Eryx!" I shout when I come to his cell and see him lying on the ground. "Oh My God! What happened?" I ask, trying to find a way to get him out of here. "Are you ok? Who did this to you?'' Before he can answer I hear someone come up behind me.

"I did," they say.

I turn around to see Mrs. L and five others smiling at me. "What?" I ask. "You said you were looking for him! You said he was dead! What did you do to him?" I shout at her.

"I'm so glad you asked Althea," Mrs. L says. "As you know Eryx is a Manticore. So are all of these other creatures in here. We are making them extinct," she says.

When she sees I'm not understanding she continues. "Mr. Z the Dark Ones teacher saw a vision of the future. Showing that Manticores will become the most powerful supernatural beings. Taking the place of us Witches in the year 3057. We won't let that happen," she says.

"You can't do this! Your committing Jencide!" I scream at her.

"Oh, I can and I am. In this cave you're looking at the last of the Manticore species. Including you," she says, inching closer. I take a step back matching everyone she takes forward. "That's right, I know about your history. With a mother as a Witch and a father as a Manticore. Not to mention your grandparents that are a mix of Mermaids, Vampires, Fairies, and Werewolves. With your power you'll be the one to lead the Manticores to the top. You're the most powerful. We can't risk you coming between our plans. That's why we caught you boyfriend Eryx. We knew you'd come for him," she says now in my face.

She waiting for me to shrink down and accept my defeat. But if she thinks that’s going to happen she knows me even less than I thought.

"It's funny how the villain always pours out their plan before they die," I say stepping closer. I now tower over her. "Thank you for telling me, so I can justify your death."

"Get her!" she screams to her minions.

But I've been practising a new spell. Where I combine all my powers from my family.

 They are no match for me.

"Expaleamious, Avadaddram, Cadabtra, Xezanthos!" I shout as I levate throwing my arms at all of them blasting them with all the power I have.

Before I can see what I've done. 

They turn to dust.

"Althea?"

"Eryx!" I say running over to him. I blast the cell open with my new found power. "Are you ok?"

"You are such a bad ass. We should get Married," he says.

"Really?" I ask excitedly.

"Of course I love you."

"I love you too," I say before raping my arms around him and kiss him with all that's in me.

------

"After that Althea and Eryx got married. They became the new headmasters of this school. Mr. and Mrs. Emerald improved this school to make it the best place to learn about our world. And that's why this class is a requirement," I tell my class. Some are shaking. Some are crying. Most are shocked and frozen.

Ruby Addams raises her hand. "Yes, Miss. Addams?¨"

"Your Althea aren't you Mrs. E or should I say Mrs. Emerald?" she asks.

Hugh, so I have one smart student.

"That is for me to know and for you to dot, dot, dot," I say smiling as I wink at her.

"Class dismissed!"

August 04, 2021 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.