0 comments

Adventure

 TIDAL WAVES

The wind from the North Sea could chill a man to the bone but it didn’t deter Jimmy Latimore and Tom Hadaway as they both looked out onto an almost orange red sky. Tom pulled up the collar of his heavy reefer jacket and took hold of the peak on his cap pulling it over his brow to stop it from blowing away. They took each step more slowly these days as they headed down onto the quayside something that they had done for over sixty years as friends. Nothing had really changed on the River as they stood on the old library stairs looking out onto a brilliant sunrise. It lit up the River Tyne on the North East coast of England it was a sight that always delighted Tom even though he now lived in Preston, some two hours drive away. Jimmy sniffed the air and remembered the smell that permeated from the Guyana works where he drove the popper lorry up the bank laden with offal to be turned into fertiliser. The one hundred and four steps at the top of Clive Street were worn with age. The grass on either side was overgrown now and the place where he sat of a lunch time covered in Ivy.

“You’d think that they would come and tidy the place up wouldn’t you said Jimmy pointing at the old building on the right that was now in disarray with graffiti and bits of plaster flaking off it.

“Aye,’ that was a lovely place to sit and write, I used to bring my two egg sandwiches and a bottle of pop at lunch time when I was just a boy. I would watch the Leda and the Neptune going out to sea pulled by the old tug boats past the bar at Tynemouth.’

“They are small now compared with the big container ships that sail up the Tyne now Tom.’

“They’ve got no character though have they? I mean, when I worked at Smiths Dock as a corker burner there were some beautiful ships built there.’

“The river is dead now, look at it, there isn’t a boat in sight.’

“Aye,’ and no fish stores either. To think that once this was the biggest herring port in the world. We exported fish all over the country you know? The fish quay was always a busy place with young herring girls who came from Scotland to gut the herring and put them into barrels.’

Jimmy stopped half way down the stairs and took out a baccy tin from his pocket that had been neatly decorated with Bryant matchsticks then sanded down. There was a painting of a trawl boat on the lid. The whole thing had been given several coats of clear varnish and it was quite beautiful. He took out the Rizzler cigarette papers from inside the tin and took one from the packet then grabbed a pinch of tobacco from the Golden Virginia pouch and began to spread it along the paper in his right hand. Then quickly he brought it to his lips and using the tip of his tongue licked the end of the paper then neatly rolled it between finger and thumb.

“Those things will kill you one of these days you know Jimmy.’

“Bugger off Tom,’ replied Jimmy in a thick Geordie accent. I’ve been smoking since I was nine years old. I’m seventy eight now and still going strong.’ Judith used to say that an aal’, She never smoked or ate any fatty foods when we were married and died when she was only sixty four.

“She might have lived longer if she hadn’t been running after you all day long.’

“What you tying to say like? said Jimmy giving Tom a look of contempt.

Further down the stairs was the side of Gilbergs an old fish store which sold prawns It was closed and boarded up at the front now and it looked like some ancient ruin. Jimmy instinctively took out a match from his pocket and stuck it against the wall and it ignited. He held it to the end of the roll up that was hanging from the corner of his mouth and puffed away until the end glowed then held it between finger and thumb of his right hand. He shook the match out with the other and then placed it back into his jacket pocket.

Once at the bottom of the stairs Tom looked up. “To think I used to run up these buggers years ago.’

“You couldn’t run for a bus now.’

“Listen who’s talking, Look at you, your out of breath.’

“I used to beat you in the hundred yards dash in Ralph Gardner School sports day though Tom.

“Aye,’ well I wasn’t built for speed, I was more a distance man I was?

“Come on we’ll have a race to the Waterfront cafe. The loser buys the fish and chips.’

“That’s not fair, I mean… it’s alright for you. You’ve got a private pension.’

“What’s that got to do with the price of fish?

“A bloody lot these days, it costs £3.80 pence for a pensioner’s special. I remember when it cost one shilling and nine pence old money.’

“Aye,’ the robbing bastards took one hundred and forty pence off us when we went decimal didn’t they.

“Biggest con trick ever that were.’

“Anyway, I thought you got left a fair bit when Judith died. I mean you did all right there didn’t you?

“What? you’re joking, I don’t get free housing benefit and council tax like you you know Tom. The bloody government took what Judith left me with to pay the debts and told me to live on the rest. I only get seventy seven quid a week pension.

“You don’t have any rent to pay though do you?

Walking past the closed down stores they could both smell the beef dripping that fried the fish and chips from the Waterfront Cafe. Jimmy began to quicken his pace.

“Hold on will you, I never said it was a race.’

“Its your bloody turn to buy them anyway. I bought them last week?

“Are you sure, I’m sure I paid for them.’

“No,’ I paid because if you remember rightly I ordered extra bread and butter for you and it cost me forty pence more.’

“God, your not quibbling over forty pence surely.’

“No but I’m just saying that I paid last week so its your turn.’

Turning the corner they reached the Waterfront cafe and went inside. Jimmy headed straight for a seat in the corner of the room where he liked to sit.

“You order the fish and chips I’ve got to go to the back I’m bursting.’

“I’m not paying mind you.’

“Alright don’t go on about it.’ Tom disappeared through a door leading to the toilet as Jimmy tries to get the attention of the waitress.’ She is in deep conversation with a couple sitting at another table and Jimmy is getting impatient. His stomach begins to growl like a dog. He looks over waving his arms. She just ignores him. He cannot help himself any longer he shouts over to the waitress.

“Here pet, when you’ve got a minute like I’d like to place an order.’

The young woman gives Jimmy a tight lipped smile then carries on talking.’

“What have you got to do to get served in this place? exclaims Jimmy loud enough for others to hear.

Jimmy picks up a menu and begins to peruse it in the hope that the young woman can see that he’s ready to order. Moments later Tom returns to the table.

“Have you ordered yet?

“No,’ Jimmy points over to where the woman is talking.

Tom gets out of his seat and casually walks over to the woman.

“Excuse me I don’t mean to be rude but we’d like some lunch.’

The young woman looks up from the table and takes out her note pad.’

“Yes,’ what can I get you?

“Two pensioners specials please with extra bread and butter and a pot of tea for two.’

“Your meal will be with you shortly sir.’

“Thank you, you are so kind.’

Tom returns to his seat and sits down. “There you see, that wasn’t hard was it?

“She’s still talking though isn’t she.’

“Well give her a bit of time she looks new.’

“I’m hungry now though we don’t usually wait this long.’

“Didn’t you eat breakfast?

“No,’ I didn’t get to the shops to buy a box of cornflakes from the cheap shop yesterday.

“You could have gone and got them from the corner shop.’

“Are you kidding, they charge you two pounds forty for just a small box where I can get a one kilo box from Heron’s for just one pound eighty. That’s a saving of sixty pence and you get more for your money.

“God I never had you down as a tight arse but you are aren’t you.’

“Hey bonny lad, I have to make my pennies count. I haven’t got a private pension.

“Will you stop going on about my private pension. Its not that much.’

“It affords you two holidays to Spain every year.’ I never hear you ask me if I’d like to go with you?

“Jimmy! I see you nearly every week what would I want to go to Spain with you for?

“Well because you are on your own and so am I. It would be good company for you and any way its cheaper going with another person.’

“I like to go on my own, I get to meet some nice people.’

“The only people you meet are old widows looking for a mug like you to wine and dine them.’

“I met a lovely young woman last year in Benidorm, she was only fifty nine and very attractive.

“What the hell was she doing with you then?

“She liked my stimulating conversation. She thought I was rather charming for a Brit.’

“Where was she from like?

“She was from Thailand.’

“Are you sure it was a woman? It could have been one of them; what do they call them again?

“What?

“You know those lady boys.’

“Don’t be daft I would know?

“You wouldn’t you know, unless they had a 5 o’clock shadow the next morning.’

The waitress came and placed two plates of food on the table and then left. Jimmy picked up the salt cellar and put some on his fish and chips then proceeded to make a chip butty with his hands. He filled the slice of bread with chips without cutting it then picked up the red sauce and smothered it before folding the sandwich and flattening it with his hands before taking a huge bite.

“Do you have to do that? Can you not eat like a civilized person.’

“What’s wrong with the way I eat? replied Jimmy with the remnants of the bread coming from his mouth.

“God, it shows your breeding doesn’t it.’

“Oh pardon me little Lord Fauntleroy.’

The waitress brought the pot of tea and Tom thanked her.

“This is the Waterfront in North Shields Tom not bloody Buckingham Palace.’

“I’ll pour the tea shall I.’

“Don’t forget your pinky then Jimmy laughed.’

Tom picked up the metal teapot and poured out two cups then added milk.

“You don’t take sugar do you Tom?

“No, I’m type 2 diabetic.’

“Shame that, I’ll have to eat an ice cream on my own then.’ Jimmy picked up the sugar bowl and spooned four heaped teaspoons into his cup and noisily stirred.

“Four sugars, don’t you get worms?

“No, I’ve always drank it that way.’

Tom proceeded to take the skin off the fish whilst Jimmy cut a large piece from his and rams it into his mouth and he chews it noisily.

“That’s a nice piece of cod is it not Jimmy?’

“Cod you’ll be lucky, that’s more than likely to be Pollock.’

“Pollock but it says cod fillet on the menu.’

“Well I would go and complain because if that is cod I’ll stand tapping mate.’ I served my time as a filleter and I tell you that’s not cod.’

Tom got up from his seat and went over to the waitress and made a complaint. The young woman was remonstrating with Tom but he was adamant and pointed out what was on the menu. The waitress came and took the plates away and apologised profusely.

The men were kept another twenty minutes before the waitress returned. The fish was decidedly bigger even though Jimmy had eaten half of his Pollock from the other plate.

“Well,’ said Tom holding his hands outward.

“Well what asked Jimmy?

“Is it cod or not?

Jimmy cut into the fish and the white flakes told him straight away that this was indeed cod. He nodded then began to eat the fish with gusto. The waitress brought a fresh pot of tea and then said that there would be no charge for the meal as way of an apology. Jimmy waited until the woman had left before speaking.

“Well,’ since I got us a free meal you can pay next week.’

“Me, your joking aren’t you?

“No, I’m bloody serious.’

“You’ve got a nerve.’

“Are you going to eat that last slice of bread or what?’

Tom just shook his head and shoved the plate in Jimmy’s direction.

Jimmy poured out the fresh tea then added milk then spooned in another four sugars. He took a large slurp from the cup and made an aah sound before slapping the cup down.

“You haven’t finished already have you?

“Nearly, I was hungry.’

“You never stopped for breath.’ I don’t know how your so thin.’

“Built for speed I told you.’ look whilst you are finishing off your meal I’m going to the van for a sugar cone ice cream. I might even get myself a flake as well.’

Tom just shook his head in disbelief.

Jimmy leaves the cafe and Tom is left inside. The waitress came back to the table sometime later.

“Are you enjoying your meal?

“Yes,’ its very nice Susan’ said Tom taking note of the name on her overall. I love the pictures on the wall here.

“Yes, they are all locally painted.

“I love that one over there with the moonlight that is reflecting upon the lake.’

“That is a painting by Ivan Lindsey, it’s the boating lake in Tynemouth.’

“It’s really beautiful.’

“Yes, it is isn’t it.’

The End

November 13, 2020 22:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.