1 comment

Holiday

A TURN OF EVENTS

For New Year’s Eve, my friends and I had planned to spend it together. We had planned to do a little party at Martha’s house and there was no doubt in my mind that it would be a mind blowing one because this time the boys were invited. The plan however was that the girls would pretend to do a sleepover at Martha’s house and the boys would also pretend to be having a sleepover in John’s house but instead they would come over, since Martha’s parents were away on business. You might wonder why we needed such excessive planning and pretence but that is because you have never met our parents.

I have a group of five friends, their names are Martha, Mary, Joshua, James, John and my name is Elizabeth. We are really close not only because we live on the same block but we all sometimes attend the same church. Our parents have also been friends for a long time, no wonder they all had the same idea when giving us our names and you might have noticed if you paid any attention. A ruse was needed for the party to happen, and today was the day.

Nothing happens on New Year’s Eve in my family because to my parents it’s just the day before the big day so I was sure that they would allow me go for the sleepover. However, I had no idea the surprise I was in for. My parents were back from work and they were in their room. It was 7.00pm and at first, I decided to ask them during dinner but I later changed my mind and decided to tell them immediately when for some reason they refused to come downstairs from their room.

I went upstairs and headed to their room, impatient to tell them to come down for dinner so that I could tell them about my plans for the night. I was a few steps away when I started to hear voices coming from their room, impatient and angry ones. I don’t like to eavesdrop on people, because I believed in karma but on this occasion I couldn’t help myself. I crept quietly to the door and listened. Thinking about it now there was no reason for me to have crept quietly to the door, I could hear their voices clearly from where I was standing. I guess I was nervous and an unprofessional eavesdropper. Therefore, it wasn’t completely unexpected when my dad suddenly opened the door of the room on his way out only to find me standing directly behind it. I tried my best to pretend as if I had just arrived at the door but I was sure that my shaking and startled self gave me away. He didn’t seem to care though, he just walked past me and headed downstairs. The door was open and through it, I could see my mum staring at me. Without wasting anytime I told her, dinner was ready and then I disappeared. However, for me dinner could wait. From the little I heard from their conversation, they had plans that involved me, the kind I would never have for myself on New Year’s Eve.

I rushed to my room, picked up my phone and dialled Mary’s number. I had to find out if I was the only one whom this misfortune had befallen. Immediately she picked up, I told her what I had heard. Apparently, my mum got the idea from someone that it was a good idea for the whole family to go to a chapel a few miles away on New Year’s Eve. I felt awful when Mary told me that her parents had informed her of no such plans. I asked her if she had told her parents about the sleepover, we had planned. She said she hadn’t, she planned to inform them over dinner. She asked me if I was still coming for the sleepover, I told her I wasn’t sure that I would call her then I hung up.

Taking my phone with me, I went downstairs for dinner. I was an only child, and from the look on their faces, I could tell that they had been waiting a while for me. I quietly sat down and soberly apologized for keeping them. My mum blessed the food. I figured that it was best to ask right way and not risk being rebuked for talking while eating. I was about to talk, when my mum spoke up, obviously we both had the same idea.

 ‘’ I heard that there is a new chapel a few miles away and your father agrees that we should all go there for their crossover service into the new year,’’

I said nothing; I looked up from my food, raised my eyebrows and slightly opened my mouth in surprise. I needed to give the appearance that what she just said was new information. However, my dad just continued eating, refusing to take his eyes off his food for even a second, he didn’t look like he willingly agreed though.

‘’This would be a good spiritual experience for the family,’’ my mum continued.

Angry that with this new development, all my friends would have a secret party without me and I would be left out; I dropped my spoon and looked at her and said in a mournful voice ‘’ but I don’t want to go, I want to spend New year’s eve with my friends,’’

“you will have to spend it with us Elizabeth, we are all going to this chapel, for goodness sake this is all for the good of the family,’’ she said with determination, with no intention of changing her mind.

‘’Go upstairs and change, its 8.00pm, the service would be starting soon,’’ 

‘’this early?” I said surprised and already calculating how many hours I would have to spend there.

“Does this mean we would be there till next year?” I said obviously displeased

“That’s the whole point of a crossover service Elizabeth,” she said in an exasperated manner. Looking at my mother it was obvious that she couldn’t wait to go there. One look at my father told me he would rather go to sleep. 

I went upstairs changed, picked my phone and decided to text my friends especially Martha that I wouldn’t be able to come to the party, once we got to the chapel. It took less than fifteen minutes to get to the chapel. It was a big one and I was surprised to see many people. My parents entered the chapel first while I dragged my feet a few steps behind them. I had every intention of sitting by myself as I mourned the death of the happy time I could have spent with my friends. But, that was until my name was called by a familiar voice. I turned in the direction of the voice only to find Martha vigorously waving at me; I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw my other friends sitting together on a row beaming at me. I raced to where they were sitting; overwhelmed with joy that even if it wasn’t the party we planned for, at least I wouldn’t be alone. During the service, I asked Martha why they were all here. Unexpectedly, she said everyone’s parents had the same chapel idea and since she didn’t want to spend New Year’s Eve alone she decided to come here too.

 I think the Preacher was a few minutes into his message when I dozed off only to be woken up by someone strange a few minutes before 12.

“What, what?” confused at why my sleep was being disturbed

“Wake up Esther, we are about to start the count down for the New Year, you can’t afford to miss it” the person shouted loudly.

“Mmmh,” I said still sleepy

“5…4…3… wake up Esther,” said the unknown person nudging me awake.

“I’m awake, I’m awake,” I said hurriedly jumping to my feet before I decided to go back to sleep again.

 “Is it New Year already, I missed the countdown?” I said worried that I slept through it all.

“Relax Elizabeth, you were sleeping, the countdown is just about to start,” Martha said, hugging and tightly holding my hand.

It was no surprise when Joshua took Martha’s other hand, Mary took James’ and John’s own until we were all holding hands. I couldn’t help but look at my friends with pride, knowing with certainty that there was nothing better than spending the last minutes of the past year and the beginning of the new year with your friends. 

Holding hands and grinning like idiots we joined the countdown for the New Year “7...6…5…4…3…2…1” 





January 03, 2020 12:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nancy Laflamme
00:35 Jan 09, 2020

I enjoyed this story and how it brought me back to my senior high school years when my friends and I would try to plan parties or activities. I particularly loved this sentence: “I guess I was nervous and an unprofessional eavesdropper.“ Precious 👍🏼

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.