Lights Out!

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story about a family game night.... view prompt

1 comment

General

I have been waiting for this day all week. Every year we have a family night where we invite our close ones and have a fun family game night. We had already bought some new games to play: some were adult-friendly and some were for kids. It was about 4 when my parents came home from work on a Friday. I had done my part by doing my chores so that the house looks clean. My parents had stopped and bought some balloons and other things. Now it was time to decorate!

Our house is pretty big: it has 6 bedrooms, two living rooms, the kitchen, and our dining area. If we didn't plan this out, it would take us a long time to clean and decorate the house. We all had divided our tasks: my parents will put up the decorations, I and my brother will blow up the balloons, and my older siblings will write welcome notes for the people coming. We were done at about 6. My dad had ordered takeout so we didn't have to worry about dinner. We were excited until...

"The governor has issued an executive order of no more than 10 people at a social gathering," said the news anchor.

No! Our family game night was all ruined. All this time getting the house clean and getting it ready for the guests was a waste. We had invited about 15 people and we have 6 people living in our house. There was no way we could have our annual family game night. I went to my room, disappointed. 

A while later, my mother came to my room. She looked me in the eyes and I knew she knew that I was sad. I waited for this time for a long time. She and my dad know that I love gatherings and I am the only one in my house who does not complaint about them. 

" Amy, there is no point in you being sad," said my dad. 

" We can't do anything. We are sorry," said my mother in a low voice. 

I knew me crying is not going to help. But, then I got an idea. We can't have the game night with our close ones but we can have with our own family. 

"How about we have the family game night just with us?", I asked.

My parents thought it was a great idea. But my other siblings were too happy with the fact that we are not having a gathering. The tough part was: convincing my other siblings. I started with my younger brother. Since I and my younger brother don't have a huge age gap, we usually get along pretty well. He was too busy, already talking to us friends through his video games. I went and sat next to him on the sofa. The sofa was a tan color. I considered it one of the fanciest sofas we have in our house. It had recliners where you could relax and spread out your legs.

" Hey James, what are you doing?", I asked in a very polite voice.

I usually am never polite to my younger brother. That has even resulted in me getting grounded. 

" What do you want!", she yelled at me.

I was shocked. What was wrong with him? I left the gaming room, hurt. Why does everyone just care about video games and having their phones? We rarely get this time together. We should appreciate our parents working hard so we can have this time together. I went to the living room and sat on the sofas.

" Sorry Amy, no one wants to do the family game night", said my mom.

I had to do something to convince my siblings. Then I got an idea.

I went to our breaker box which was located in the garage. There was a switch which would result in all the electricity to turn off. I moved the switch in the other direction.  

Darkness. The house was all pitch black. I ran back inside to see everyone with their flashlights. Well, at least it got my siblings off their phones. My dad was trying to figure out what was wrong. My mom lit candles so there could be light in the house. My dad started dialing the electrician to see if he can come to fix it. I kind of regret what I am doing. But, I am doing it for a reason and it is not about me. 

"The electrician said it is going to take him about an hour or more to make it here", said my dad.

Everyone was mad. They needed Wi-Fi to be on their phones but they did not have it. 

"Guys, we don't have Wi-Fi but we can do something fun", I said in a cheerful voice.

I bought some games and I got my siblings to play those games with them. They were having fun which was what I wanted. When my mom saw, I knew she was happy. The electrician came and realized that the main switch was off. The electricity came back but my siblings didn't go back on their phones...

Instead, they were still willing to play the games. I felt bad for my dad having to pay money because of something I did. Then I decided to tell them.

" I need to tell you guys something", I said in a low voice. 

Everyone was staring at me. It was giving me anxiety. But, I don't want to keep on lying.

" I was the one who changed the switch", I said.

My parents were mad. I explained to them how I was doing this to have this time but they still grounded me. I got my phone taken away but I didn't mind it. I wanted to do something good but I did it in the wrong way. 

My mother came to my room. She was mad at me for making my dad pay for my things. 

" I am sorry mother", I said in a low voice. 

She looked at me. She hesitated but looked at me and said...

" It's okay", she said. 

" You used the wrong way, but it was for a valid reason", she said.

I learned one lesson from this night...

If you want to do good, use the right way to do it.

March 20, 2020 23:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jasmine Sidhu
23:29 Mar 20, 2020

Amy has waited for this. Every year, the Andersons have an annual family game night where they invite all family and friends. What could possibly go wrong?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.