1 comment

General

Jenn just graduated in journalism in January 2020. She was fortunate that the local news casters needed reporters due to the pandemic conditions that began in February. The news reporters were given very little help and told to find interviews and post them on the local opinion of the health impacts. Jenn was so nervous and confused at the same time. She felt like her new career was starting in an uncontrollable worldwide of human confusion.


She finally got her interview with the local mayor. This mayor was from a very prestigious family and opposite in political orientation from the senators and President. Jenn felt he was her best interview because he knew his people locally and saw the impacts that rapidly occured. The loss of jobs, suffering and deaths to mention a few. She gathered her technology and voice recorder and headed to meet the Mayor as agreed.


The Mayor was pleasant but told Jenn, "5 minutes is all." She had no choice but to move quickly and throw away the 100 questions she prepared. She never used the recorder technology before and was concerned about heading the Mayor clearly. She first asked, "What do you want to share with us about the health conditions locally?" . The Mayor said, "I will tell all". Then a crowd of cameramen came up and dogs and children and the Mayor was taken away.


Jenn was left with little or nothing of substance to write and one hour to get it to the News room. She decided to tell the story how it happened so local people would understand how busy the Mayor is now. She heard her recorder say "I will tell all" and posted that as the virtual title then continued to describe what happen with the smells, sounds and upset by the dogs and crowd. Her first draft was completed but no time for an edit review.


Jenn was so nervous but but send to the News room. They were rushed and with her being new out of the university in journalism, we're confident it was acceptable. The highlighted her article and released it viral news and to the networks. The headline was "Mayor Smells All".


When she got back to the News Room her boss was waiting. He asked her, "Jenn, our new star reporter, can you tell us what your title was?" . Everyone looked at her. She thought what to say and responded who cares did they like the interview article? Her boss laughed and said "Yes, using the word smell to symbolize how other politicians were misleading our Mayor was very clever". Jenn was so horrified and had no idea what he was talking about. She thought tomorrow I am sure the News will be different.


On her way home she say the News coming on a TV from a closed electronics store. She decided to stop and watch it to see how bad the viral title misprint was. In big letters it said "Mayor Smells All" instead of Mayor tells all. She just fainted and some up a few minutes later thinking her life was over. It was time for her to join the piles of local bodies. She knew the Mayor would see it and with his local influences have her fired. She would be banned from journalism forever because broke a golden rule. She misrepresented what the Mayor really said. Only two people knew this the Mayor and her.


Jenn thought maybe I can make a second release and send it to the Mayor? Maybe she could write a correction release? Then she realized the public and her boss liked the story. Jenn had no idea what to do. Maybe the Mayor would not see it and he would never realize what happened.


Then a news flash came on the TV. The Mayor was sent to the hospital after fainting. He was in intensive care at St Mary's Hospital with limited visitation. Jenn was so scared. She thought he was her story and fainted. Not only did she call to post the correct interview she might of killed the Mayor. She thought leaving the city before he is released is the only way.


Jenn rushed home packed her bag and got in bed car. Then the radio announced all roads out of the city were closed. Jenn thought the police would coming to get her soon. One word mistake using Smell instead of Tell. She thought is this fair to the Mayor of her? She took her bag back to her apartment and decided to take another approach.


She decided to send the Mayor and his family flowers and a card praying he gets well soon. It would cost her every penny she earned from the article publication but it was the right thing and only thing she could think of to do. She ordered the flowers and went to bed.


The next morning, she received a call from the Mayor's office. They asked if she wanted to interview the Mayor in the hosptal. The Mayor never got to see the virtual interview they had tried before and he knew the 5 minutes he promised was cut due to the crowd. She felt like screaming "No". She was unsure what to say to him now. She agreed despite her hesitation.


After she hung up the phone she really questioned if this was the right career for her. In one day, Jenn lived through more anxiety and possible harm to others then ever before in her life. To make it worse she liked the Mayor and his family and was upset about them printing the wrong word in the story. Jenn meet with the Mayor at the hospital and finished a second interview undisturbed. It was very different and never did he mention smelling anything. Jenn decided not to mention the first article and to use the experience as beginners luck.

I

After the second article was released, her boss at the newsroom asked to talk with her. He mentioned something about how the journalism candle can burn out so fast. She had no idea what he was talking about and decided it was not in her best interest to mention the virtual submission mistake.



















April 23, 2020 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jackson Brown
00:25 Apr 30, 2020

I liked the story! The pressure put on Jenn really drew me in. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.