0 comments

Creative Nonfiction High School Inspirational

It was a normal day for Ella. Well, that’s what she thought. Little did she know that she may be able to have a better future. Under one circumstance.

6:03 a.m. 

She threw one of her white flattened down pillows at the alarm clock when it started buzzing obnoxiously and she couldn’t take it anymore. However, it didn’t turn off the first time, so two minutes later she finally threw the covers off of her and dragged herself out of bed. It was Monday. A day where most people dread. But not Ella. It’s the day she gets to leave her house. Leave her dad. She grabbed a black pair of skinny jeans and a white Adidas shirt and changed. She grabbed her blue, pink, and white flowered backpack and went downstairs. Wrinkling her nose at the smell of her dad's cigarettes, she placed her backpack on the floor right by the steps. Her dad was slouched in the ugly dark green couch. As usual.

“It’s about time you got down here.” he said as he rolled his eyes.

“It’s 6:15, the same time I get down here any other school morning.” Ella replied, walking to the kitchen.

“Whatever.”

Ella knew better not to say anything after that. As much as she hates letting him say things like this to her as much as he does, she was pretty used to what happens if she were to continue to go back and forth with him, so instead she walks away.

Haley, one of Ellas best friends, meets Ella at her house every morning at 7:00 to walk to school together. Haley is one of the very few people who know what it’s like inside Ellas house. Yes, Ella's house is beautiful on the outside. Anyone of her classmates who know where she lives think she is lucky to have a life like hers. But that’s because they have no idea what her life is really like. 

Ellas house smells of cigarette smoke from her dad's horrible obsession. Once in a while, the downstairs would get foggy because of the smoke but not very often. The living room consists of a black TV stand, 79” flat screen TV, a black coffee table placed directly in front of the ugly dark green couch with a small glass end table on either side of the couch. That ugly couch has burn holes on it, along with the carpet. The carpet used to be more fluffed but because of the damage done to it, it’s all matted down. Well at least the tables seem nice? Ha! Nope, her dad has filled ashtrays on both of the end tables, the coffee table and somehow managed to get one on the TV stand. How he managed to do that but not empty any of them out, I don’t know. There are usually a couple ashtrays on the kitchen counter but they aren’t normally full. Her dad is found slouched on the couch, drinking Bud Light and flicking through the TV channels. If he isn’t he is in the kitchen staggering to find a cigarette lighter. Ella got used to having to pick up empty beer bottles or cigarette packs. If she didn’t, it would be like living in a junkyard...but with only beer bottles and cigarette packs. 

Ella had to learn to do laundry, dishes, and taking 100% care of herself when she was 7 years old. That’s because her mom left Ella and her dad for some magazine model life in Hollywood. When she left, Ellas dad completely lost it. He basically trashed his life and went downhill 100 MPH. He quit doing things for himself and taking care of Ella. He would get overly angry at Ella for some of the silliest reasons. Then would blame her for things that aren’t her fault, like the reason her mom left. If times he got furious with Ella, he would occasionally throw things at her or call her names that would hurt. As she grew older, she began not trusting many adults because she thought they would all be like that.

6:30 a.m.

Ella was in the kitchen preparing to make some eggs for breakfast.

“Would you like some eggs, dad?” she asked standing in the living room doorway.

“Yeah, I do.” her dad responded flatley.

“Any particular way?”  this time with a slight smile.

“Scrambled.”

“K.”

Ella went back into the kitchen and whisked 6 eggs in a plastic yellow bowl, adding some skim milk for fluffiness. She had the butter melting and popping in the black skillet that is set on the front left burner. Once it was fully warmed up, she poured in the fully whisked eggs. It got loud when the food hit the hot skillet, but then settled down the longer it sat. 30 seconds later, she stirred the eggs, forming themselves into chunks. About 3 minutes later, she switched off the stove and scooped the eggs on two white glass plates, her only having a little and her dad a lot. That’s mainly because she isn’t a breakfast person. She struggled getting the silverware drawer open but when she did, the shiny metal spoons, forks, and butter knives flew forward making a loud CLANG!

“GEEZ!” she heard her dad yell from the couch.

She quickly fixed the silverware and then carefully placed a fork on both plates, then carried her dad's food out to him. 

“My bad.” 

Ella walked back and ate her food in the kitchen, standing. After about 30 seconds her dad was yelling again.

“Are you freaking kidding me Ella!!” 

“What?!” Ella quickly responded.

“You didn’t cook these eggs all the way!!” He yelled a little louder this time.

“Yes, I did. Mine are the same way and they’re fine.” Ella said, now standing in the living room doorway again.

“I’m glad you can make your own taste good but mine is like trash.” He said clearly getting angrier but the second.

“I made ours together, so it would be faster. They are the same!”

“You know you’re 15, you would think you would finally understand how to do things as easy and making eggs by now. You’ve only been doing it for a whopping 8 years!”

“Listen to yourself! You sound ridiculous. You said it yourself, I’ve been doing things like this for the last 8 years while you just sit on the couch like a slug and never appreciate anything I do for you! And just to put it out there, if it should be this easy for me to do, then it should be just as easy if not easier for YOU to do!”

“What did you just say to me.” He responded in a deep tone, standing up.

“You heard EXACTLY what I said to you, no need to repeat myself when I said it loud and clear enough the first time.” Ella snapped back.

Ellas dad came lunging at her and grabbed her hair and yanked it. She let out a loud cry as he ripped out a small, but noticeable chunk of hair.

“Yuck!” He yelled, throwing the loose hair on the ground.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have yanked it out then.”

Maybe you should learn how to talk and respect me then.” He shot back.

“What?! Other than right now, how am I not respecting you? I was planning on making breakfast, but instead of only thinking of myself, I decided to ask you if you wanted some too. I made you food, got it ready for you, and then brought it to you without you even saying, “thank you”. You NEVER appreciate what I do for you! You don’t like how I make food, then maybe you should just make your own food from now on.”

“I don’t need to appreciate anything you do for me. Your mother used to make me amazing food all the time, and never failed me. The only reason she left is because of YOU! YOU’RE the reason why my life is a reck! So the least you could do for me is make me food, clean my house, and get me what I want.”

Ellas eyes were filled now, fighting back her tears and trying to ignore her dad's words. She doesn’t say anything after that. Silently, she walks over by the staircase and throws on her shoes and backpack. Ella tries walking out of the house to leave for school early but her dad pushes her away from the door. Ella falls back into the corner of the end table with a loud THUD! She goes to touch the back of her head that hit the corner of the table and she closes her eyes tightly to stop herself from crying due to the burning feeling. When she pulls her hand away from her head, she sees a little blood. Her dad saw it too, and walked to the kitchen without saying a word. Ella gets up and leaves the house slamming the door behind her. 

6:52

8 minutes before she meets with Haley. Ella walks over to the sidewalk at the end of her driveway and whips out her phone and texts Haley: R u on ur way

Within seconds, Haley replies: Ya y?

Ella quickly texts back: I’ll explain on the way to school. Keep walking to my house..I’ll meet u on the way

“K.”

Ella starts walking and then sees Haley walking quicker than normal. Ella was now in tears and Haley hugs her tightly. She noticed Ellas head was bleeding when she put her hand on Ellas head for more comfort. 

“What the heck happened?! Your head is bleeding!”

Ella explains the entire morning to Haley.

“That freaking jerk!!” Haley yelled instantly mad.

“ Yeah, I know.” Ella said, feeling guilty.

“Do you think you’re going to need stitches?”

“No. I can put some antibiotic ointment on it when I get home.”

“No. I’m not going to let you go back to that jail cell after what happened.”

“Seriously, it’s fine. I’ll get over it soon, okay?”

“No, not “okay”. You shouldn’t have to “get over it”, this shouldn’t even be happening to you.”

“Yeah, I know but…”

“But what?”

“I don’t even know anymore.”

“Maybe you should talk to someone..”

“You know how I feel about that.”

“Yes, I do, but maybe it’s not so bad? You’re older now, they will listen to you. 

“But neither of us know that..”

“Would you rather keep getting hurt like this? He isn’t going to get better Ella..”

“No, not really.”

“Exactly, so again, maybe you should talk to someone. I’ll even come with you, both for support and to make sure they listen to you.”

“Let me think, ok?”

“Alright.”

Ella and Haley walked the rest of the way silent. Ellas mind was everywhere. She’s never liked the idea of talking to an adult about home. When she was younger, about 8 or so, she tried telling one of the teachers at school, but all they did was called her dad and asked him about it. Obviously he denied everything. When she got home that day, her dad threatened her if she ever told again. He then told her she is never allowed to move out, and that she’d better enjoy her school years because after them, she’s not allowed out of the house. Since then, she's never opened her mouth about home, to anyone but Haley and Maci.

However, Haley and Maci don’t know the threat her dad gave her, because she didn’t want them to worry. As she’s getting older, the way her dad treats her is getting worse. Ella wanted to tell someone but never had the guts to do it. She liked the fact that Haley was willing to go with her if and when she decided to go.

7:30 a.m.

Haley and Ella arrived at school 7:30 sharp. That gave them time to talk and hangout with their friends until 8:15, when school started. They walk over to the red table to meet Maci.

“Hey!” Haley said to Maci. Ella just smiled. Trying to hold back tears.

“Hi, geez El, you look rough.” Maci said, instantly regretted it once she saw Ellas face.

She couldn’t hold it anymore. Ella broke down in tears. Not because she was mad at Maci, but because it was just not a good morning.

“I’m sorry, El, I didn’t mean to make you upset.” Maci said, walking to give Ella a hug.

“It’s ok, it’s not your fault.” Ella responded, accepting the hug.

“Your dad?” Maci whispered in Ellas' ear. Ella nodded.

“I told her she should maybe talk to someone, and that I’d go with ehr, but if it helps, you can come too.” Haley said. Maci nodded in agreement.

“Do you want to see if there is someone here you feel comfortable with to talk to, now? That way, it’s out of the way.” Haley asked Ella.

“Yeah, I guess.” Ella responded quietly.

“Is there someone here you think you can trust?” Haley asked.

“Well, there’s Mrs. Trace.” 

“Okay, lets go.” 

“Maci, can you come too?” Ella asked.

“Of course.”

The three of them walked to Mrs. Traces classroom. Haley knocked on the partially opened door. 

“Come in, hon.” Mrs. Trace said after glancing to see who it was.

Now, the three girls walked in.

“How can I help you young ladies?”

“Actually we were wondering if we could talk to you...about something personal.” Haley said.

“Of course you can, you’ve got me until 8:30, when my first class comes in. If you’re going to need more time, I will be available again from 11:00- 12:30 and, of course, after school.”

“Thank you.” Maci said.

“Now, what’s going on?”

Haley and Maci started things off simply that Ella has been having issues at home.

“I see, Ella would everything, beginning to end?” Mrs. Trace asked with a worried look. She quickly reached in her top drawer and grabbed out a pad of large sticky notes and a pen to take notes.

Ella first started off by saying what happened this morning. Mrs. Trace used to be a nurse so she was able to help Ella with the cut on her head.

Ella explained everything to her two minutes before 8:30. 

“How about you come to my room about 11:00 and we’ll think of some sort of plan together. I do need to email the principal about this. He will call someone to help get you out of that home.” Mrs. Trace said.

“Okay, thank you so much.” Ella responded.

“I’m really sorry to hear all this, Ella. It breaks my heart just thinking about how you must feel. You’re a really brave person, and for you to come talk to me says a lot more than I could explain.”

“Thank you, but without my friends' help, I don’t think I would have been able to do this.” 

“Well, you have two of the greatest friends in the world for that.”

“Yes, thank you, see you at 11:00?”

“Yes!”

Ella nodded and then Haley and Maci took Ella by the hand and they walked to first hour class.

11:00 a.m.

It came sooner that she thought. Ella was now in Mrs. Traces room, both thinking what to do. The principal was going to meet with Ella and Mrs. Trace at 11:15. 

“Do you have any other family members you could stay with?” Mrs. Trace asked.

“ Not really, I have a very small family. My little brother is in foster care but the nearest one they could get him in was 12 hours from here. That was a while ago though. I really don’t want to leave Haley and Maci. They are the closest people I’ve got to family.”

“Well, if we get it approved, why don’t you stay with me? I’ve got an extra bedroom and two cats. But if you don’t feel comfortable with it, then you don’t have to.”

“You don’t have to do that.” 

“You’re right, I don’t. But I want you to have a wonderful future. I want to find a way to give you back the years you missed. Plus, I could use someone to look forward to seeing and talking to after a long day of teaching. And it would be fun to have movie nights together, cook dinner together, and you would be able to have your friends over when you’d like without having to worry about anything.”

“I would absolutely love that.” Ella said, smiling.

After talking with the principal and the CPS it was approved by the end of the day for Ella to live with Mrs. Trace. An officer and Mrs. Trace took Ella to her dads to get all her stuff and say her goodbyes. Her dad was now facing his own problems, which were now, none that Ella would have to deal with.

July 02, 2021 19:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.