18 comments

General

Mary Jane was undergraduate senior student with dreams of paying off student loans and securing a full-time after graduation.

Mary Jane liked to eat a classic hamburger with 100% Angus meat, lettuce, cheddar cheese, and tomatoes with a side of tater tots.

Mary Jane’s favorite colors were pales.

Mary read newspapers, watched Fox/CNN, and stayed away from politics and fashion channels.

Mary Jane loved drinking hibiscus tea, sitting on her 4th floor apartment balcony, watching the clouds.

Clearly, Mary Jane was very ordinary and very boring to be around with as she rarely gone to get-togethers with friends. She wasn’t weird or anti-social; Mary enjoyed being at peace with her thoughts.

A loud pounding on the door interrupted her thoughts about tonight’s dinner options, which was either cold veggie pizza or microwaveable dinner.

The pounding continued until Mary opened the door, which revealed two burly, gray-suited men, wearing sunglasses.

“How may I help you?” Mary said, trying to lessen the awkward quietness among them.

“Are you Mary Jane?”

“Yes, I am.”

“You must come with us.”

“For what?”

“Confidential.”

“No,” Mary stated firmly as she grabbed the inner door knob. “I do not know who you are and didn’t do anything wrong or unlawful.”

“Then you left us no choice. Grab her,” one of the burly men grabbed Mary’s arm, while the other handcuffed her.

“No, stop it,” Mary yelled, which was immediately muffled by a cloth, then, all of the sudden, she felt dizzy.

“You know what you did.” Mary heard one of the men said as she entered into the darkness.

“Mary, it is time to wake up.”

Mary lazily opened her eyes, staring at a chandelier. “Where am I?” The room had a long sofa, coffee table, and chair that she was sitting on.

“A room,” the blue-eyed liner girl smirked. “We are going to start the procedure now.” She went over to the table covered in black cases.

“I do not want or need any procedure done on me!” Mary struggled in the handcuffs and tight rope around her. “I am an excellent U.S citizen that pay on my taxes on time, participate in humanitarian causes, and donate my spare charge to the homeless!”

“You know what you did.”

“I don’t.”

“It does not matter,” the girl unfolded a case. “Let’s start.” Now, the girl was holding a foundation bottle and a brush. “Dior Forever Matte Foundation Color #1 will match well with your tone.”

“No!! Get that thing away from me!” People were scared of heights, insects, snakes, drowning, Mary was absolutely terrified of brushes, lipsticks, and the eyeshadow palette.

“I won’t hurt you, dear.” Mary felt the liquid and brush on her cheeks. “Hold still.”

Struggling was useless, so Mary did one thing: closed her eyes and prayed to God.

“I am going to make you very pretty, Mary.”

“Do you prefer this?” the lady held up the silver and gold sequin mini dress. “Or this?” A black bodycon dress.

“Neither,” Mary sulking in the handcuffs, once more, in a chair. “I hate shiny and black.”

“Black, it is,” the lady ignored her, intentionally, hanging up the black mini on a hanger. “Black matches with anything and we could have wiggle room for the accessories and shoe.”

“I am not going to wear that.”

“Ashley did a great job on your face, so you will need something that does justice to that.,” the lady untie the rope and unlocked the handcuff. “Give it a try.”

“The dress is so small and tight. Ouch!”

“So dear,” the lady zipped up the back of the dress. “Beauty comes with a price. It fits on nicely.”

“I feel like I am suffocating,” Mary dryly stated. It wasn’t that bad, probably a bit tight.

In a speck of twelve minutes, Mary was standing in front of a mirror and, to her surprise, she liked what she was seeing: a strapless patterned five inch heels and neckline, ears, and right hand covered with crystals.

“Do you like what you are seeing?” Rosa asked, arms crossed with pride. “You could thank me later.”

Mary was standing in a closet, no, it wasn’t a closet. More like a bedroom-sized closet.

Picture Kylie Jenner’s closet of purses. Got it? Bang.

Hermes, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Balenciaga along with other French and Italian names that Mary can’t remember or pronounce.

“I present you Saint Laurent Monogramme Large Grain de Poudre Wallet on Chain,” Debbie displayed on her hand. “Authentic Italy leather and we have it in black!”

“Thanks,” Mary took the purse.

“I will accompany you to your destination,” the ladies walked out and onto a tiled hallway.

“Question, where will I be going?” Mary nervously asked and had a bunch of scenarios playing out in her head.

“A lot of gentlemen will have their eyes on you.”

Goodness gracious. “What?!”

“You are going to have eyes on you the entire night.”

Mary’s worst fear was coming true. Her life was over--her life was going to be consisted of old perverts and socially awkward virgins.

They stopped at a black door and club music was pounding on the other side. “Put this on.” A silky bandanna.

With the bandanna on, Mary and Debbie marched into the cool club room.

“Sit here.”

“Ok..” Mary sat on a firm sofa.

“Ready?” The bandanna was taken off.

“SURPRISE!!!” Everybody jumped out.

What the hell? “Amy, Dianna,” Mary recognized the faces. “What are you doing here?”

“Celebrating, Amy’s birthday, duh,” Dianna said. “Have you forgotten?”

“I was not planning to come,” Mary said. “Did you two dragged me here?”

Amy and Dianna exchanged looks. “Yeah.”

“You two hired people to kidnapped, violated me with makeup, heels, and dresses,” Mary’s voice increasingly gotten higher. “Against my own will.”

“And you looked stunning,”Amy said. “You should thank us. It wasn’t cheap!”

“Come on Mary. We have added pizzazz into your boring life. Somewhere it was fun and good experience?” Dianna said.

“Aside from going against my own will, it was nice. I feel sexy wearing these heels.”

“The fun does not stop there,” Amy said. “Hugo and Randolph!”

The two burly man in suits were, now, wearing, lets say, some important articles of clothing and dancing to the music.

All of the girls, especially Mary, were screaming in excitement.

July 28, 2020 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Pragya Rathore
11:33 Aug 14, 2020

How interesting! The makeup part is quite relatable. The grammatical errors have already been addressed by others, so I'll make sure to say this: Creatively expressed and thoroughly enjoyable! I wished that she'd turn out to be a rich heiress, but unfortunately, it was just her friends :) AWESOME!

Reply

Emma Lin
19:33 Aug 14, 2020

Hello, Pragya again! Yeah, the grammar is a work in progress and a pain in the you-know-what. Thank you for the feedback. I think it would be more awesome if she'd turn out to be a rich heiress. Maybe for the next story? :D

Reply

Pragya Rathore
19:58 Aug 14, 2020

Sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Kearney
12:52 Aug 11, 2020

Hi Emma, You have some great lines, very funny, "of old perverts and socially awkward virgins.". You and I have a similar issue when writing, we leave words out of a sentence. I do it every time I write and I have to proofread whatever I write 2 or 3 times. I may even do it in this message. " Mary Jane was (an) undergraduate senior student with dreams of paying off student loans and securing a full-time (?) after graduation." Use Grammarly when you write, it will catch those missing words, typos, and grammatical mistakes. You may also w...

Reply

Emma Lin
14:14 Aug 11, 2020

Hey John! Thanks for the helpful and honest feedback. I greatly appreciate it. Yeah, I am still working on the tenses and detail aspects of my writing . I will check out your story when I have the time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
08:12 Aug 11, 2020

Nice story. You miss up the tenses at some points, which you would find out if you proofread. Otherwise, wonderful. Keep writing... Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Emma Lin
14:10 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it :) sure. I’ll check out yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aditya Pillai
16:28 Aug 08, 2020

Wow, such an enjoyable read! Loved your take on the prompt, so much fun. Wonderful job! Would love to get your thoughts on my latest! :)

Reply

Emma Lin
16:44 Aug 08, 2020

Thanks for dropping by to read it! I will check out yours:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:23 Aug 06, 2020

Great story, the burger part at the opening somehow attracted me to keep reading! Would you mind reading my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Emma Lin
12:45 Aug 06, 2020

Thanks for reading it! I will when I have the time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roland Aucoin
11:41 Aug 03, 2020

I started laughing at the makeup application and did not stop til the end. Super play on the prompt. Fun story; great ending. It was a pleasure to read. Well written. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roshna Rusiniya
09:42 Jul 29, 2020

I loved this! Wonderful take on the prompt! Well done!

Reply

Emma Lin
17:35 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks Roshna <3

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
19:47 Jul 29, 2020

You are welcome Emma! Would you also check out mine when you get time? Thanks! :)

Reply

Emma Lin
00:18 Jul 30, 2020

Sure will :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
13:23 Aug 05, 2020

Great story , interesting take on the prompt:)

Reply

Emma Lin
14:28 Aug 05, 2020

Thanks Anja! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.