0 comments

Drama Fantasy Fiction

This story is set on planet Gaia2 – earth’s twin which is still evolving about eight centuries behind. The state of Colada on the shore of the Serelia sea was normally prosperous, but it was now hit by Nature’s calamity and the king was desperate for money. He had created a lottery with a big sum as reward. Agricultural baron Talifer said he would make a significant contribution provided he was given Island 55.

The king conferred with his chief minister. The CM said “Island 55 is mainly mountainous and, who knows, it could face volcanic action. Talifer is an extremely cautious investor, and if he is interested in Island 55, there may be a reason.”

The king said ”Tell me more about I- 55.”

“It has a fine port where many ships anchor. The rock on the island is said to be soft and is much in demand to make statues and so on.”

“Let us offer this island to Talifer.”

The CM was very corrupt and even Talifer had greased his palms.” He is a rich man. Why not I get some more of his wealth?” thought the CM. He summoned Talifer who came. Talifer was a handsome young man who belonged to a hereditarily rich family.

The CM said “The king needs more information regarding your bid for I- 55. Why are you interested in that island?”

“I’m planning to develop the port as many merchant and pilgrim ships come ashore there. I’ve also plans to construct a big temple on a mountain. I’m sure people will flock there. Of course I’ll think of doing it only later.”

“I’ll report to the king and inform you about his decision in due course.”

A few days later, the CM summoned Talifer and said “The king has still some reservations in allotting the island to you.”

Talifer guessed the reason correctly and said “Please explain to him and give me a favourable decision. I’m proposing to gift you a diamond, quite a big one.”

The CM brightened and said “Tell me the real reason you want I- 55.”

“I will only say that what I have in mind is to develop the place.”

“I hope you won’t forget my service to you when you get richer.”

“Certainly not.”

Talifer felt he would get I- 55. In a few days the king signed the charter allotting I- 55 toTalifer.

Talifer then boarded a boat and reached I-55 the same day. Lygia, a young woman who was holding charge of the island received Talifer.  After a brief talk with her he found her very intelligent with forward thinking.

Lygia was attractive with long hair. Like other islanders she was also clothed only below the waist. She found Talifer was shrewd and receptive to her suggestions. Talifer was camped in a well-furnished house next to Lygia’s.  He had been given a cook and a housekeeper. The following day, accompanied by Lygia, Talifer went round the place in a horse cart. She showed him the lake and the houses and market.

He said “Lygia, I’ve been here before but now the place has developed. I suppose that’s where you come in.”

She said “I’ve worked hard for the people here. I’ve helped them to get clean drinking water. I’ve upgraded their sewage. Agriculture has developed because I’ve provided facilities to farmers. I’ve also ensured that the health of people is good by providing free medical care.”

“I think you’ve done a great job. Coming to the rock here....”

“The rock is soft and much of it is sent out from our quarries above. The king’s sculptor periodically comes here with students to learn about carving soft rock.”

After the tour, Lygia said “Can we break for lunch? It’ll be ready in your house.”

“Please join me.”

As they ate he said “They’ve provided so many dishes! The fruits were very tasty. I’m full. Let us relax.”

They talked a lot about the needs of the populace. She found he was in a good mood and said “May I ask you a question? I’ll understand if you don’t answer.”

He nodded and she said “Ever since we were told about your taking over I-55, there is talk that you have done it to seek Cruso’s treasure. Is it true?”

He said with a laugh “It isn’t. Tell me about the treasure.”

“You know the ship traffic in the Serelia sea is abundant. Several years ago, the pirate Cruso was brutally attacking passing vessels at sea with his select crew. In fact for a time it was said that it was unsafe to take the sea route.”

“Very interesting. Please continue.”

“It was said that Cruso and his men were storing whatever was looted on I-55.” She stopped and asked “We’ve some sherbet with honey. Can I get you some?”

“Please do. Thanks.”

After a break she gave the silver vessel with the sherbet. Sipping it he said “Very good. So is your narration. I’ve also heard some talk about  Cruso but I like to hear fully from a native like you.”

She said “They say that after years of plundering people at sea, Cruso and crew planned to divide the accumulated spoils. However their plans didn’t succeed.”

“Why?”

“It seems a greater pirate tried to get at the accumulated treasure but failed. So they caused Cruso’s vessel to sink. He and some crew were actually eaten up by sharks. Some were drowned. People say Cruso’s treasure is hidden on I-55.”

“I’ve also heard such talk. Let me tell you one thing. I haven’t come searching for the treasure. My idea is to develop this place and add to my wealth.” He stopped and said “Let me have my siesta. We’ll meet again later.”

The following day  Lygia  said to Talifer “Shall we go up the mountain? There’s a trodden path which is convenient. We’ve to carry water for drinking on the way as we would be thirsty due to the heat.”

“Let us do it.”

Having reached a high point she said “May I say what I feel?”

“Please do.”

“If we can build a tall pillar like structure about here and have a flame on it, ships will find it easy to approach in the dark.”

“It’s a very good suggestion. I’ll act on it. I had a temple in mind but I’ll put it off.”

She said “We can then collect money from ships coming to our port.”

Talifer at once called a group of builders to put up a pillar on the mountain. It was done in only a few days with ladder structures around it to enable staff to climb to the top. A group of men were appointed to go to the top after dusk to light and maintain a fire. Users said it was very useful and paid the levy.

One day while collecting felled trees to feed the flame over the pillar, one man noticed something man made on the ground. It was reported to Talifer who rushed up with Lygia. The spot was excavated and they found an underground chamber.  Lygia said “It looks like Cruso’s treasure.” It was and the treasure was transferred to Talifer’s custody.

Later Lygia said “Why don’t you expose the corrupt CM? The king could recognise your service.”

Very soon Talifer sought a meeting with the king which was granted. The CM wanted to be present, but was exempted at Talifer’s request. Talifer informed the king about the finding of Cruso’s treasure and told him about the CM being corrupt.

The king said “You’re entitled to what you’ve found. No need to transfer it to my treasury. You can use it as you like.”

Talifer said “We’ve identified many schemes to benefit I-55 and will use the money that way.”

The king said “You know I’ve no children. I would like you to succeed me.”

Talifer heard that the king after an inquiry exiled the CM. Talifer then got wedded to Lygia with the king presiding. The king announced “Talifer will succeed me.”

END

March 02, 2021 02:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.