2 comments

Adventure Fiction Romance

Most of the time Aaron hated the rain, but this time listening to the sound of rain falling on the tent was as soothing as the whisper of his mother when a child and sleep would overtake him. It was late in the evening on this camping trip and the night rain would likely pass by morning promising a glorious day of hiking.

That his current love, Elaine, was laying next to him also listening to the gentle patter of the falling drops added to the contentment that flowed over him, “Listen to the falling rain, what a peaceful sound when we are snug as bugs in this tent”

Elaine reminisced, “Yes, this brings back my childhood when my sister and I would camp in the back yard. Our mother would call us to get out of the rain, but we were just fine, laying under the tarp being serenaded by the sound of falling rain.” She rolled onto her side and slid her arms around Aaron to snuggle close as they were sharing two sleeping bags zippered together.

Feeling the soft pressure of Elaine’s breast against his chest caused a stir in Aaron. Normally, this would have been a signal to engage in sex, except Aaron was so soothed by the rain that, while that thought was first and foremost in his mind, he just reached around Elaine; slowly caressed her back while she rested her head on his shoulder. In this position they both drifted into sleep.

They were on the third night of the five day jaunt along the Appalachian Trail in the Green Mountains of Vermont. The weather had been spectacular with very few hikers on the trail. As the sun was lowering over the western hills, Aaron selected a campsite a distance off the trail that would give them privacy. Near a babbling brook, the flat clearing surrounded by huge trees was perfect. For Elaine, this trip was like a test for their five month relationship. Spending time alone together doing something they both enjoyed was a way to really get to know each other. Aaron set up the tent and unpacked while Elaine prepared a dinner from the backpacks. The brook right there made it easy to clean up and by the time darkness was falling the rain clouds rolled in. They made it into the tent just as the rain started.

The bright flash followed quickly by a crack of thunder, seemingly right on top of them, startled both of them awake. The gentle rain was now a thundering downpour that carried a certain menace coupled with a howling wind that rattled the tent as if to tear it off the stakes. “Aaron! What’s going on?” There was the sudden crack of wood breaking and the sound of a tree falling against others and the ground vibrated as the tree hit the ground. A branch of the tree shook the tent indicating how close it was. Aaron was still foggy from the rude awakening but quickly sat up to assess the situation. He recalled choosing this campsite for its proximity to the brook that seemed like a nice amenity to have nearby. Now, he wasn’t so sure as there was some water seeping into one corner of the tent. There was little choice but to stick his head into the deluge to see what was going on outside. The pastoral thoughts of an hour ago were long gone. The full force of nature seemed to be upon them.

Wearing only his boxers and a t-shirt, Aaron grabbed his hat and a flashlight as he unzipped the tent. When he stuck his head out, the rain was pounding, falling almost sideways driven by the gusting wind. One look to the left revealed the former brook was now a torrent of water that had progressed right up to the edge of the tent. As Aaron had carefully selected this small, level plot to pitch the tent, there was little time left. “Pack things up right away! We have to move this tent before we get flooded out!” he shouted to Elaine while pulling back into the tent. They threw their stuff into the backpacks while Aaron rolled up the sleeping bags and pads. But this wasn’t happening fast enough. More water was seeping in so Aaron was forced to change strategy, “Elaine! Forget the packing. Go outside and gather the cooking things we left by the fire. I am going to drag the tent with our stuff in it.”

“But I’m not dressed,” she was also just in a long t-shirt and panties.

“No time for modesty. Get some shoes on and get that stuff!”

A few minutes later, Aaron had waded through the rising water, pulled the tent stakes and was dragging the now sopping tent to higher ground. Elaine went looking for the cooking gear only to find most of it had already been washed away. The rain had not let up and the flashes of lightning lit up the forest brilliantly for a second only to be quickly followed by the crashing thunder. One lightning bolt hit simultaneously with the thunder and exploded in a nearby tree. The slash of lightning traveled right down the tree and the concussive thunder almost knocked them over. The air smelled sweet from ozone as the now flaming tree leaned and fell directly on the now flooded plot the tent had occupied. They both stood, drenched and amazed, looking at the burning branches of the fallen tree. The branches in the water sizzled while the flaming branches crackled. Elaine gasped, “Oh My God! We would have been killed!”

Aaron could only shake his head at the prospect of what almost happened to them, “We aren’t out of the woods yet.” A flash of lightning illuminated the scene. They could see each other barely dressed and soaking wet. Aaron couldn’t help himself from admiring how beautiful she was, “Elaine, you look like you just won a wet t-shirt contest!” She gave a half laugh as he approached and he saw her face transform to a vision of fear as he moved closer. She was quivering and close to tears as he took her in his arms, stroked her back, murmuring in her ear, “It was a close call, but we will be OK.” He hoped the calmness of his words belied the fear that things could get much worse. Their cooking tools were gone and everything was soaking wet.

A few hours later, the rain had stopped and first light showed signs of appearing over the eastern hills. Aaron and Elaine were both cold and exhausted. They worked to get the tent re-erected, their clothes and gear spread out in hope it would eventually dry. Aaron had strung rope between the trees and the area looked like a tenement neighborhood with everything they owned hanging, looking for a wisp of a breeze to help with the drying. Finally, they both collapsed in the resurrected tent wrapped in the driest clothes, dozing in fitful sleep. Each dreaming of the next tree to collapse on top of them.

Elaine was having the toughest time, alternating between bursts of tears and quiet shivering. The prospect of them dying like that in the middle of the woods with no one knowing where they were was paralyzing her. It mattered little that Aaron seemed calm and explained, “Elaine, I filed our path with the park rangers as well as I told Joe where we were going.”

“Sure, good old responsible Joe. He would be off looking for us some time next week!” she said with a laugh that came out as a sob. “We’d be just as dead anyway,” and began quivering again.

Aaron held her close and tried consoling her, “Laney,” that was what he called her in the most tender moments, “We are going to be all right. You’ll see...”

“But Aaron, you don’t understand. It’s much more important now...” and let slip the one thing she hadn’t intended to say at all, or at least until they were back from the trip, “I’m pregnant.”

***********************

Aaron lay on his side and inhaled deeply. The sweet smell of baby powder and soap infused the bed filling him with a sense of peace. It was a Saturday morning and Aaron had lain down on his daughter’s bed to watch her sleep. It was time to wake her, but the soft rise and fall of her sleeping chest was intoxicating. The open window let in the sounds of chirping birds singing for their mates and the slight breeze from the whooshing ceiling fan teased the hairs on his arm. Five year old Charlotte stirred and woke with a bright smile as she realized her dad was nearby. After stretching and throwing her arms around Aaron, she started with the most frequent request, “Daddy, tell me about the day you and Mommy decided to get married.”

“Good morning sweetheart,” Aaron said then sighed, “So, you want to hear that story again?” Their adventure in the Green Mountains had become family lore. Once again, Aaron recounted the perilous events eventually getting to the part where Aaron found on the map a small town not far from the flooded camp site. They packed up and hiked to the town to restock, along the way deciding that having survived the wrath of nature together, they should make the arrangement permanent. “Soon after that trip, Mommy and I got married and now here you are, just as perfect as can be.”

Just then the bedroom door opened and in wafted the pungent smells of coffee and cooking bacon. Aaron’s stomach growled a bit at the aroma, “Charlotte, it’s time to get up.”

Aaron looked at Elaine, standing in the doorway as beautiful as ever, pregnant with Charlotte’s brother, “Breakfast is almost ready.”

---

October 05, 2023 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Vivacity Rex
20:23 Oct 12, 2023

Impressive! You created an emotionally rich story and beautifully painted the setting.

Reply

Stan Konwiser
02:17 Oct 13, 2023

Thank you. I purposefully left out physical descriptions of the main characters so the reader could immerse themself into the scenes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.