The Dragon's Carnival

Written in response to: Set your story at a global fashion event — or a carnival ball.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure

Karro Sephtis is a photographer for the king and queen of Wrosrisite, many of the civilians love it when the Dragon carnival comes around. Karro has to record the event for the kingdom. The most popular dragon people celebrate is the Kirin Dragon, however, it hasn’t been seen in generations after the Great War of Frostbite. The war took many lives including the Kirin dragon, Karro believes the dragon is out there somewhere. Karro went to the throne room to gather the supplies needed to record the event.

Karro’s POV

“Your majesty, you don’t want me to record the event? My family has for many generations.” I exclaimed.

“You deserve to enjoy the event, we have someone taking your family’s place from now on. Your family has served for a long time, they now shall be well-rested. I want you to watch our daughter while at the carnival instead.” The king explained. As his daughter walked down the stairs she was wearing a short gown. She was stunning, many would try to take her away. I felt something off inside but pushed down. Once I got home I grabbed some change that I had raised with a side job I do. The princess was watching with curiosity.

“Are you good there princess?” I ask her. ‘SHIT, I didn’t watch my sass She nodded and looked out the window. ‘The princess seems emotionless. I shouldn’t worry about that, not my job’ As me and the princess start the travel to the carnival, some storm clouds start to move in. I see lightning starting to create light in the sky. I grab the princess without thinking and pull her into the woods. 

“What are we doing? The sky was lighting up” The princess says. I ask what her name is so I can stop calling her princess. “My name is Ember”. ‘A name meaning fire, we live in a snow kingdom’ We head to the carnival once again. Ember is walking next to me, she hears a twig snap and she jumps onto me with fear, I grabbed her so she didn’t get hurt. We get to the carnival and she still wanted me to carry her so I did.

Ember’s POV

The nice girl carries me, even though she doesn’t want to. I see a booth that has dragon masks and candy dragon shapes. I point to the booth. I hear the nice girl chuckle and we start to head over to the booth. I look at all the masks, I pick a red mask and grab a blue one for the girl, when I hand it to her she looks at me with surprise. She gives the man a few gold coins and we head off to the rest of the booths. Someone starts to yell, I don’t process what they were saying until I see a green dragon running toward us. The girl grabs something out of her bag and it stops the dragon. She then grabs the dragon by the horn. A vender that has a rope comes running. “Thank you Karro, Some kids were playing with sparklers and it burned the rope.” He said to the girl, She turns and looks at me.

Karro’s POV

I stopped the dragon that got loose. I should ask the king about doing that from now on. I look back at Ember she looks stunned. I remember that the kingdom hasn’t seen her without her vail before. I grab her hand and give her a weak squeeze. I notice the King standing on the balcony he watched the whole event happen, he nods and I know that was the cue to bring her home. As we walk into the palace, I pull my mask off, I must wear it when in the palace. My family is known to have blue triangle patterns on our cheeks. I hear a small gasp from the princess. The mask is enchanted, it also changes our eye colour. I have vibrant pink eyes, and my mask turns my eyes green. Many people believe my family are the killers of the Kirin dragons, our family history of Blue triangles and vibrant eye colours goes as old as the first Kirin dragon recorded. There was a sudden commotion outside at the carnival. I ran out and saw that all the dragons had been let loose. I knew if I exposed my family secret it wouldn’t end well. I pulled the scale of mine out of my bag, I pulled it out and the scent reached every dragon very quickly, I used the control to bring them all down. I ran out of the village to my home, I told my family what happened and we had to get everything hidden. Suddenly, a storm was caused by a dragon that had escaped. ‘I have to save the village no matter if the secret gets out’ I ran into the woods and shifted, I have a rare colour of fur. I have a muted blue-grey, the scales that poke out threw my fur are a sky blue, My pink eyes can be seen very easily. 

Ember’s POV

There is a horrible storm that is heading its way to my palace. I suddenly see a large dragon silhouette go up into the darkest clouds. I see a very faint pink glow from the head. ‘It’s Karro’ Many were exclaiming down in the village. Many were cheering for the Kirin dragon. ‘She is a Kirin Dragon? Her family has hidden its self from the world, Their safety relies on them staying human.’ I run to my father saying we have to get everyone sheltered. 

“No need child, the Kirin will save us,” He tells me. I yell at him for not protecting his people the way he should. He yells after me but I run out of the palace to find her home.

Karro’s POV

I’m fighting the dragon responsible for the storm. ‘It is bigger than me, I can’t fight it like this I hear a voice calling my name I see the Princess running in the forest under me. ‘She shouldn’t be out here I drop down and pick her up in my left talon. She looks at me and I feel weak for not being able to protect her. The dragon then sees the princess's eyes. 

“She is a Red Ember decent. Those fiery eyes prove that” The dragon exclaims. The dragon lands and stops the storm. He bows to us. A Kirin Dragon and Red Ember Dragon together is extraordinary.

May 13, 2022 14:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.