Sinking Like A Sunet

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Drama

David was standing out in his backyard, and if it wasn’t for the cigar smoke rising up into the air she would have sworn he was a statue by how still he was. As Shelley approached her husband, she could tell there was something bothering him. He was sighing a lot, and the fact that he was just staring out onto the lake was another red flag for her. The cigar itself was also another hint, as he rarely smoked because of the wrath it might incur from the lady of the house, namely her. She was only a few feet away when David noticed she was there, and he nodded to her with a small, nonchalant grin.

“Hey there,” David called out, “I know, I shouldn’t be doing this. I just wanted to get a bit of air and take in the sunset. I don’t take advantage of this incredible view as much as I should.”

“That’s pretty deep,” Shelley said, “I didn’t take you for being a sunset kinda guy.”

“I know, right?” David agreed. “I just needed to do a little thinking, and this seemed like the right time to appreciate the view while I mulled over things.”

“What things?” Shelley asked, “Are you alright?”

“I’m afraid not,” David answered, “It’s just been a difficult day.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Shelly said, “Did something happen?”

“A few things happened,” David replied, “But I’ll live. Can’t say the same for my father.”

“Your dad?” Shelley repeated, as that was the last thing she expected to hear. “Did you talk to him?”

“No,” David said, taking another puff. “I got the news second hand from my brother. That’s the only way I hear about what’s going on with him since the fight.”

“And the news is bad?” Shelley asked.

“I’m afraid so,” David replied, “Dad has cancer.”

“Oh, David,” Shelley said as she hugged him from behind. “I’m so sorry.”

“Me too,” David said, “I might not be getting along with the guy, but I’m not the kind of guy to wish anyone to die.”

“Why didn’t he tell you?” Shelly asked, “You had to hear it from Robert?”

“Hey, eyes on the ball.” David said, “Let’s go easy on the guy with cancer.”

“Why should we?” Shelly insisted, “You’d think this massive reminder that your time on this planet is finite would spur the old man to reach out and mend bridges. Personally, I’m a little disgusted he didn’t have the balls to tell you this and make your brother pass it along!”

“I’m not surprised,” David admitted, “This is the way it’s been for a few years now.”

“After all that’s happened over the last few years,” Shelley said, “The pandemic, the bullshit that came with it, even the birth of our daughter that he hasn’t even met yet! You’d think he’d reach out now while he still fucking can!”

“He won’t,” David added, “He’d rather die first.”

“Sounds like the odds of that happening just got a bit better,” Shelley added, “If he doesn’t make amends even in the face of death… that’s on him, not you.”

“I know,” David said, “But I’ve tried to reach out through Robert. No dice so far.”

“That man is just so pig headed!” Shelley snapped, even madder about than her husband.

“Welcome to my world,” David said, even chuckling a bit.

“How do you take this?” She asked him, “How are you not furious that your own father can’t even tell you himself that he might be dying?”

“Well, that last part kinda wants me to cut him some slack,” David reminded her, “He’s the man with the cancer, so I might be willing to give him a pass on that one.”

“Where is it?” Shelley inquired.

“In his liver,” David answered, “But it appears to be just in there, and no where else. So there’s a chance if they remove part or all of his liver, that might be all he has to do to get over it. That and maybe a little radiation.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Shelley said, “What happens if he loses the whole thing?”

“He might need a donor, and cause it’s the liver only a small part will be needed.” David said, “And Robert asked me to join him to get tested.”

“Excuse me?” Shelley said, as she couldn’t believe it. “You’re going to get tested to see if you’re a potential donor? For that man after all he said and did?”

“Regardless of what happened,” David said, “He’s still my dad. Besides, if it’s my liver that saves the man, he’s going to have to let things go after that.”

“He might refuse and prefer to die if it’s your liver.” Shelley retorted.

“I doubt it,” David countered, “I think he fears death far more than he does his past. If I test positive, I’ll give him a chance to prove it.”

“You’re a better person than I am,” Shelley confessed, “If my parents did the same thing, I’m not sure I could do that for them.”

“Yes, you could.” David said, hugging her with one arm. “You’re a good person too, even if you don’t want to admit it.”

“Hold on,” Shelley said, as she remembered something. “You said things happened, as in plural. What else happened today?”

“Not much,” David replied, “I was attacked by a dog.”

“What?!” Shelley said, rather shocked. “Where the hell did that happen?”

“Earlier today,” David informed her, “In the parking lot outside the grocery store. I was just walking up to the door and this mutt came out of nowhere and attacked. It’s owner had it on a leash, but she was too small and weak to control it, and the bastard took two chomps outta me.”

“That’s awful!” Shelley exclaimed, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” David said, amused by his wife’s concern. “I still picked up what we needed and even hit urgent care to get it checked out. It’s just a scratch and I won’t even need any shots for it. The only thing that appears to be really damaged is my ego.”

“How so?” Shelley asked.

“There are days when I feel disconnected,” David explained, “But today when that dog attacked me, it felt like even nature was rejecting me. I’m usually good with animals, but that creature just didn’t want anything to do with me and let went out of its way to let me know.”

“It’s just a dumb dog with a bad owner,” Shelley said, “Don’t let it get to you.” 

“I’ve been trying my best to do just that,” David admitted, “No dice so far.”

“You really can’t let this get to you,” Shelley declared, but this it dawned on her, “That’s why you haven’t been writing lately! You’ve been shaken up by all of this drama.”

“It’s more than just drama,” David told her, “The last day or so has left me dwelling about a lot of stuff such as my place here, how much time I have left.”

“I suppose that’s a normal reaction,” Shelley said, “But shouldn’t you put this to good use and just spill it onto the page?”

“I suppose,” David said, mulling it over. “I’ll get back to it soon. I just needed a breather.”

“Well, I’m going to start supper.” Shelley said, “Finish that thing and get back in so we can talk about it over a chilled bottle of chardonnay.”

“Sounds good,” David confessed, “I’ll be in soon.”

David watched as his wife walked back into the house and then returned his attention to the soft orange like the emanated from the sunset that was kissing the last their summer home was on the coast of. The events of the day left David thinking about a lot, but also taking the time to appreciate the little things in life that he took for granted lately. Like enjoying a good cigar while watching a beautiful sunset, or spending more time with his own kids and not being the asshat his old man was. David took a few more puffs and then extinguished his cigar. The sun was almost down, but he knew based on its position that the bright ball was already gone; the sight that stood before him was just a mirage. A beautiful one, but it wasn’t real. Another sign that it was time for him to get back into the house and get his ass to work… after he had a few glasses of chardonnay with his wife, who knew him all too well.

June 25, 2021 10:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.