Me and .... Me

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

It was a rainy and dark night, Paul couldn't move his legs and arms, his head felt sore and he didn't understand what was happening. He thought it was just a dream, but the sound of the sirens made him realize that something had really happened.

Paul, started screaming with all the little strength he had in his body:

- "Helppppppp, I don't know where I am, it's dark and I can't see anything. Come and free me please". After a while, he began to hear footsteps and a familiar voice:

- "Paul, hold on, we're coming to rescue you, stay calm," Jack, his best friend, told him. After a long time, he saw the light that the rescuers had with them.

Paul was happy to see familiar faces.

It was dark, Paul heard a very familiar sound.... his cell phone; his colleague Elisabeth was calling him. Paul saw the time, it was eight forty-five. Paul immediately ran to get ready to go to the office. As he was leaving he called Elisabeth but she didn't answer. Paul understood that Elisabeth was furious, but he couldn't help thinking about that dream, so real that it didn't seem like a dream. Elisabeth was not only his colleague but also his girlfriend, but he never thought of telling his thoughts about that dream.

-" You are a disgrace to the firm, we had a very important appointment at 8:30 and we had to represent him and what do you do? You're not coming?"

Elisabeth arrives shouting without caring about the opinion of her colleagues. Paul, without opening his mouth, points her to his office. They enter and he closes the door. A few days pass and Paul is increasingly distracted but manages to hide his distraction from the dream by justifying himself with the various causes he is studying. In the evening, he comes home quietly and after eating dinner and watching some TV, he goes to bed. In the middle of the night, he is awakened by a flash of light. He gets out of bed to go see what's going on, he sees a new glow coming from the mirror. He turns on the room light and approaches the mirror. He sees his image and so far so normal, until....

-Hello Paul, how is your head, does it still hurt? asks the mirror image.

Paul is shocked, he looks at the mirror petrified. He takes two steps backwards, but it's only a matter of a few seconds and he is back in the same place he was before.

-Who are you? How do you know my name? What do you know about my head, I have no pain, I'm not hurt.

-Are you sure you didn't do anything to your head? -The image replies and continues:

- My name is also Paul, or rather, I am a part of the Paul that is in front of me. I am your soul.

-Soul? What soul? asks Paul, increasingly frightened and impatient with the reflected image.

- The soul is a hidden part of every man. Everyone has one, whoever doesn't, is no longer part of this world. - the image replies.

- Do you know why I asked you about the head? continues the image.

- No, I don't. Paul answers almost annoyed.

- The dream in which you were injured and your best friend rescued you was reality for me. Says the image.

- What are you saying? Paul breaks in.

- I was hurt, stuck and calling for help, not you. The image answers.

- Why? Paul then asks.

- You don't listen, you don't pay attention to the signals I send you, you don't even know you have a soul. I had to make you understand that I exist. The soul thunders again.

-But what do you want from me? The man asks.

- Your attention. I repeat, you didn't even know you had a soul and that is very serious.

- What do you want me to do then?

- Learn to listen to your feelings, your heart, that's how I talk to you.

In the meantime, the morning light replaces the dark night and Paul is distracted by the alarm clock sound.

- Go to work, I'll be there when you need me.

Meanwhile the image returns to the mirror. Paul gets ready to go to the office, he has no thoughts or words. He feels empty and emotionless. He goes into the office, everyone sees him strangled and no one dares to speak to him. In the meantime he sees Elisabeth approaching his desk, notices a note, takes it and hides it.

Elisabeth approaches him and gives him a kiss on the forehead.

- Do you need anything? He shakes his head without opening his mouth.

- When you need me you know where to find me.

Elisabeth thus leaves Paul's office and closes the door of the room. Paul then takes the note out of his pocket, opens it and reads.

IT WAS NICE TALKING TO YOU. I WILL SEE YOU SOON. Signed PAUL.

During the day Paul does not speak to anyone and is not asked any questions.

When he gets home, he looks at his cell phone and finds a message from Elisabeth: I hope it gets better. If you want you know where to find me.

Paul puts the cell phone down and heads to the bedroom to change before dinner.

-What do you really want? Paul turns around the room to see where this voice is coming from, but then he thinks about what has happened and has no doubts about who it is.

-It's time to act, you've waited too long. The voice continues.

-Act.

Paul gets dressed and leaves the house.

He calls Elisabeth and tells her he will pick her up to go out to dinner, but first he has to run a quick errand.

Months have passed since that evening and Paul is there at the altar waiting for Elisabeth.

In the meantime, he thinks back on his life, his dreams that he has achieved and will achieve.

After the ceremony, the guests prepare to head to the location, while the bride and groom walk away for photos.

Upon arriving at the location, Paul and Elisabeth head to the garden to watch the sunset.

Now, Paul understands that he is no longer just a lawyer, but an accomplished man.

.

July 08, 2021 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.