Forever in the sea.

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

The waves lapped the sand. It was a beautiful night. The moon shone on the ocean surface giving it an illuminating glow. It enchanted her. She sat there lost in her own thoughts when something caught her eye. It must’ve been a fish. But after several minutes, it came closer to her. It wasn’t a fish at all. It was the most magnificent creature she’d ever seen. He was built like a supermodel with bulging biceps and rock-hard abs. She must’ve been dreaming. His skin was nearly translucent and blueish but that added to the mystique. His hair was jet black, and the water seemed to caress his muscles. Something oddly enough, she herself thought about doing. He didn’t say anything just placed his hand on hers. She expected it to be cold and clammy like a fish but it was warm and inviting. He made a motion with his other hand, and the sea literally parted like that tale from the bible.

She was shocked at the betrayal her own body displayed as she held onto his hand and followed him through the sea. She had expected him to have a tail like in the mermaid stories she’d always heard, but he had legs just like her. He never said anything as he led her deeper into the pit of the ocean. She should be afraid but she wasn’t. She marveled at the creatures they passed as they made their way to the center. A sea turtle was floating by, a shark swam passed quickly as if it had an urgent appointment, and a jelly fish bounced upward as if it were on a pogo stick. She thought she should be tired but she wasn’t. She wasn’t exactly sure how far they’d gone either. With the towering walls of water on either side of them, it was hard to gather her bearings. Finally, they made it to where they were going.

He took her in his arms and proceeded to dance with her. This had to be a dream, she thought. She knew deep down she should run away screaming but there was something irresistible about this creature. He bent down and placed his mouth on hers. This kiss was so incredibly passionate that her legs went numb and refused to hold her weight. She found herself being held by this sea creature. Her mind hadn’t quite wrapped itself around the fact that she was in the middle of the ocean with this sexy god of the sea. He smiled and the waves swayed as if they understood his choice. She was lost in his sapphire eyes. They were the most beautiful things she’d ever seen. She reached up and kissed him again. Once more, euphoria raged over her body. She wanted so bad for him to kiss her like that for eternity. Could this god make her like him? She wasn’t sure but she wanted to find out. She managed to make a small squeak. Her mouth just wouldn’t form words. She felt incredibly weak as well, as if she’d been fighting for her life the whole time.

After a few minutes of starring into his eyes, she began to notice that the water walls seemed to be closer than they had been before. She swallowed and managed to form a small ‘uhh’. He just continued to smile as the water moved closer. It wouldn’t be long before it would engulf them. She didn’t know about him, but she couldn’t breathe under water, and she was on the ocean floor. Panic flowed through her veins although she couldn’t move. He sat her down on the ground, but she noticed that his eyes weren’t blue anymore. They were a violent red. Oh no, she thought. This dream was turning into a nightmare. Her panic turned to sheer fear. He was going to let her die. That was the thought that broke the paralysis. She was able to get her legs underneath her but they were wobbly and weak. The water flooded over her feet. She turned to see him turn into the ghastliest creature imaginable. The calm blue tone of his skin was now deep red, and her fear seemed to fuel him more. It was his mouth that caused her to shake to her knees. His mouth was full of shark like teeth. He hadn’t moved but yet seemed closer than ever. She realized the water was pushing her back to him. She found herself in his arms, but unlike before his touch was not pleasant. It was as if she were being branded. The scream was caught in her throat. The water was now wrapped tightly around them as if to protect them. The last thing she heard, aside from her own screams as he devoured her flesh, was the crashing of the water around her.

He had a meeting with one of the other sea gods. He breathed in the salty air and waited. “Jace, when will you stop eating the nice girls?” He smiled a wicked smile. “When they aren’t so stupid.” The other god swam up to him. “This one at least tried to fight?” He asked amused. “Well, she did manage to get on her feet after the kiss, but it didn’t last long. She was easy to drain.” The other god shook his head. He lifted his hands in the classic ‘what’ gesture. “You think this kind of eternal life is easy. The rules state that we have to devour a human every fifty years or we will die as well. I just prefer other methods than causing a horrible hurricane to sink a ship.” The other god just smiled in a knowing way. “One day, you’re going to meet a girl who will fight you and will change your beliefs.” He shrugged. Maybe and maybe not but until that day, he would continue to enjoy the flesh of the innocent. It was the thrill of seeing the horror on their face when he changes like Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. It made the kill more satisfying. 

March 03, 2021 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.