3 comments

Fiction Thriller Teens & Young Adult

Truth or dare James’ they chanted ...dare he was able whisper, already being tipsy from the shots he took minutes ago.

Dude are you sure about this, his buddy Luke asked but was quickly cut short by Derek ‘the lion king’ as he was most often called. I call the shots here, it’s my house and my game he shouted getting the attention of everyone. Since James here thinks he’s ready for the dare let him have it.

James’ eyes widened and he suddenly became not so drunk anymore as his ears were fed with the crazy thing Derek called a dare. That’s crazy he said, he just couldn’t imagine doing such all for a dumb game. He knew these people were wild but didn’t know how far they’d possibly go for a game.

 Drifted away by thoughts, his mind went back to the last time he played this game. It was four years ago at his best friend Luke’s party at a house eastside Golfers Park some blocks away from his school.

It was the first party of his freshman year at college and he was pumped about it. James being homeschooled throughout his middle and high school years finally had a taste of freedom and was not going to waste any chances of exploring the new world which had just welcomed him. Even his choice of clothes for the party screamed new freedom. He wore a black leather jacket on a white tee-shirt which showed off his abs, with the blue ripped jeans he bought last summer but couldn’t wear because his mum thought he looked like a rebel in them. The look was complete when he had his Jordan sneakers on and he was finally ready to take on the night.

Chug, chug, chug was all he could hear as he took down multiple liquids that were once prohibited to him. The night had just begun

s he pulled off his jacket after drinking the contents of the last beer bottle offered to him by his new found friends. He followed them to a room filled with people drinking, smoking, and taking drugs... watch where you’re going loser, a girl with her nose covered by cocaine said to him but he was too stunned to give her a reply. They walked over to a table where a group of guys and a blonde girl where injecting themselves and sniffing drugs, this is crazy he said to himself but had still not uttered a word.

Over here James a scarred but familiar face said to him, he ran out because the little the boy standing at the tipping point of his sanity screamed no.

The drinking continued for him in some other room where his group of friends were seated. Let’s turn things up one guy said and they all agreed the party needed some more spice. Truth or dare they all agreed to play. James already tired from all the activities of the night wasn’t quite interested but fought the urge to say no; he wished he did.

 Drinks were downed, some clothes were off, secrets revealed, hearts broken, and then it was his turn, James the once innocent and fragile homeschooled boy who knew next to nothing about violence was asked to smash his Math Professor’s car.

James knew how much that old rickety car meant to the Professor, as a matter of fact they all knew. The man wouldn’t give any lecture without bringing it up. He called the car ‘his baby Olivia’. That was his daughters name; she had sadly passed on in a car crash. The car was damaged but he still drove it to school every day no matter how many stops he had to make or tire's he had to fix because it reminded him of his beautiful daughter.

He didn’t realize how emotional he got till a tear rolled down his cheek, he wiped it away and said ‘where’s his house’?

The party location had changed as they were standing outside the fence of Professor Van Dickens home. Now or never James the guy who gave the dare said. He slowly made his way over the professor’s fence with a baseball bat in his shaky uncorrupted hands.

He began the damage to Olivia with tears rolling down his eyes, he felt like he was hitting the man’s daughter. Metal bending, glass shattering and confidence rising; he suddenly felt good. What a change of emotions! He was determined to prove to them that he wasn’t a dork; he was one of the cool guys now.

...What could that be? Dickens asked his wife who was asleep beside him, when he didn’t get a reply he woke her up. Anna get up I think were being robbed he shouted but not loud enough to draw the dare driven boy’s attention. His last word was enough to wipe the sleep from her eyes. He quickly dialed 911 and explained the situation. Downstairs proud James still causing damage to the car is taken aback by the sirens, the rest of the group fled the scene leaving him there alone with Olivia damaged and a bat in his hands.

He was caught and taken to police headquarters and he faced the risk of going to jail or paying a fine for vandalism.

With much begging, Professor Dickens decided not to press charges against him but said he’d still have to face the school’s disciplinary committee.

 James was suspended for a semester as decided by the school. It was tough for him but it was still better than expulsion. He returned to school a changed boy and vowed never to engage in the game of truth or dare ever again...or not?

.....James, James what’s up dude will you do it or not? Luke asked, stammering ‘yes I’ll do it’ he said. A girl at the table said I admire your guts dude; he could barely force a smile and got up ready to jump off the tallest apartment complex in the city, and which unfortunately was where the party was held; Derek’s penthouse.

He debated within himself whether or not he would do it and came to terms with the fact that so many things could go wrong. The lame excuse of a landing mat which was placed in order to break his jump could cause severe injuries to him, and worst of all he could die. All for a stupid dare, just to prove he’s cool and can also be wild to the group.

Some people were talking while others placing bets on whether James would actually do it; would he make the jump or die. He had to be stopped, but by whom? This guy was bent on killing himself all for a dare, how stubborn and strong-minded could someone possibly be?

The tension had risen quite rapidly and he was already drenched by his own sweat. He felt the walls caving in on him, was he about to make the biggest mistake of his life? One he probably wouldn’t even live to regret. His breathing pattern changed and he fell flat on concrete ground.

Another crazy night of the truth or dare game, and yet another reason to invite the police; but this time alongside the paramedics. Already being rushed to the hospital James laid at the back of the ambulance on oxygen supply, and then his eyes suddenly opened and he had a mischievous grin on his face, he said to himself ‘that’s how to escape a dare’

-        By Diwerne Subi

May 18, 2021 08:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Akshara P
18:53 May 22, 2021

Great story! And welcome to Reedsy :)

Reply

Diwerne Subi
21:13 May 22, 2021

Thanks a lot🥰

Reply

Akshara P
22:18 May 22, 2021

Of-course! 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.