0 comments

Drama Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

The crisp, chilled October air grew increasingly colder as 4 pairs of black, stiletto boots tapped their way across the leaf-filled pavement. It was the 31st night, Halloween; a night in which the Sacred Moons Coven could gather discreetly away from the wandering and judgmental minds of those not like them. Only the members of the Coven may be present to witness such a ceremony: the initiation of a new witch. Each of these witches possessed the essential traits, wisdom, and attitude in order to enhance their collective magic. Together as Three but stronger as One, they were binded; but tonight their clan would add the Fourth, rising their Coven to an even greater cosmic power.

The 4 witches dressed in their rich, velvet burgundy robes approached the altar held in an undisclosed abandoned church. The High Priestess, Cassia, stood in the center facing the altar. Cassia stepped forward, placing a rusty silver metal chalice on the altar. Next to the chalice, she presented the ceremonial blade, a gold-handled athame that was tucked in a pocket of her robe. Cassia turned her body around to face her fellow Coven. Each of the 3 ladies held dissimilar expressions on their faces. 

Cassia wore a smile as she greeted them. 

“Welcome, my sisters. Tonight we induct a fresh face among our circle. We invite Lilly to join us, the Sacred Moons Coven as we reach our Fourth power to ignite us with the strength to achieve our destiny as the sisters before us. Tonight, we become One.”

To Cassia’s right were Leyna and Mara. Leyna, Cassia’s right-hand witch and Priestess in training, wore a hopeful, yet stern look on her soft, brown face. Leyna held all the attributes a Priestess should have: humility, respect, and balance. Cassia was proud to have such a natural-born witch in her Coven and even more honored to know that if Cassia’s position as Priestess were ever compromised, Leyna would be ready to lead. 

Mara, on the other hand, expressed a sheer look of disinterest and almost disgust that their Coven was about to introduce a stranger into their circle. Mara was displeased when Cassia first announced they were adding a new witch, a witch ‘far above her years’ as Cassia described. Mara felt there was no need to be welcoming as their circle was powerful enough without a newbie in their midst. To Mara, she should have been Cassia’s right-hand, having more leadership knowledge than Leyna and more willing to execute any means of magic, especially dark. 

The new addition, Lilly, stood timidly to the left. As the youngest and least experienced with natural magic, Lilly was dazed when first learning about the power she held. It was on a spring afternoon in the country where Lilly cast her first spell. Having sensed this particular sensation of power, Cassia tracked Lilly’s whereabouts and informed her about her powers and the Coven. Lilly was intrigued, yet overly anxious that she was not qualified to join such a prestigious circle. Cassia refused to let Lilly diminish her natural craft and began to meet with her regularly, teaching Lilly how to harness and control her spells. 

“We call on the divine energies of the Goddesses before us to fortify our strengths and dominion as we journey on this path of initiation. We call on the divine energies to sanctify Lilly into the Coven of Sacred Moons to complete our circle.” Cassia chanted as she lifted her hands above her head, held open as she welcomed spirits. 

“Sister Lilly,” Cassia set her gaze on the frayed witch, giving her a reassuring nod, “please tell your fellow sisters how you came to knowledge of your power.”

Lilly bit her lip as her eyes veered towards Leyna and Mara. Her voice shaky, “W-w-well I was roaming around in my mother’s garden when I found a dead rabbit. W-well he wasn’t dead yet, but dying and something just came over me and I wished for him to stay alive and then he just did.” 

A loud, devious snort came from Mara’s direction. Cassia shot her a warning glare. 

“I think that’s a wonderful power, Lilly,” Leyna turned to Lilly with an approving bow, “you used your craft for the greater good and you have a appreciation, a bond with nature. You could be of great use to us. We welcome you.” 

Lilly’s small mouth widened to a grin, encouraged that she will fit in with the fellow witches. 

“We commence the initiation ceremony. Sisters, please come forth and secrete your blood into the holy chalice as we bind our bloods to rectify our circle.” 

Cassia turned to face the altar once again, picking up the athame and slicing a thin slit into the palm of her hand. Squeezing out her plasma into the chalice, her blood is to be first as the foundation as she is the High Priestess. Second to follow after Cassia was Leyna, then Mara, and lastly was Lilly, who shed a slight tear at the pain of the blade. 

Once each member had completed the filling of the cup, Cassia took hold of it and carefully placed it in the center of the floor. Marked on the floor was the symbol of the pentacle. A five-pointed star lay across the floor with a circle around it, signifying the union of these witches before it. The 4 witches gathered around the circle with their arms spread open, palms facing upwards. Lilly, being the inducted witch, stood in the center of the star with the chalice in her delicate hands. 

All together, Cassia, Leyna, and Mara recited the incantation, eyes closed and their heads slightly bowed towards the pentacle on the ground. 

“Divina deae covina, benedicat tuum Colurnis.”

“Divine Goddesses of the Coven, bless thy Lilly.”

As the three incanted, Lilly raised the chalice to her lips and drank the contents inside. Every last drop of the blood of her sisters must be taken in in order to fully bind her. Once the chalice was empty, a fluorescent beam shot out from the cup, blinding Lilly before she remembered to shut her eyes. A second beam shot through Lilly’s petite body, giving her an immense glow around her frame. 

Cassia raised her head and opened her eyes to witness the spirits accepting Lilly. The Coven was complete as Four and on their way to achieving their true destiny. 

As the ceremony concluded, Cassia and Leyna embraced Lilly as their fellow sister and member of the circle. Mara stood back, standing warily of Lilly. Cassia sensed something off about Mara. A sensation that was more off-putting than usual. 

Leyna grasped Lilly’s hand as she led them towards the doors of the church. Cassia began to follow suit until she heard a familiar incantation being said under Mara’ breath. 

Cassia spun around and found Mara to be standing in the middle of the pentacle, her eyes flashing towards Lilly’s direction. Mara was attempting to kill Lilly. 

Deep in her gut Cassia knew what she had to do. She had to kill Mara first.

“Mortiferis!”

Leyna swerved her body around, shielding Lilly behind her as they watched with their mouths agape at the scene in front of them. Mara’ body stiffened as a thick line of smoke engulfed around her body. She screamed a piercing yell as her once porcelain-skinned face turned to ash and the remains of her body crumbled to dust on the ground. 

Leyna and Lilly were horrified. What was supposed to be a sacred and joyful night, turned into catastrophe by a witch that wanted to betray her clan. 

“C-C-Cassia, w-why?” Lilly stuttered, her eyes staring at the dust pile that once stood Mara. 

Cassia gave a solemn look, “Mara had betrayed us. She wanted to kill you and let the coven remain as three. I heard her thoughts. I had to banish her, for the sanctity of our circle. I’m sorry you had to witness this.”

Leyna trusted Cassia’s judgment. Mara, dabbling in dark magic and spells on occasion, was headed on a disastrous path of becoming an outcasted witch. It was only a matter of time until she attempted to overthrow Cassia as High Priestess, or even attack Leyna to reign as right-hand. 

“What now? We need our Fourth and final.” Leyna asked, looking at Cassia for a sense of guidance. 

Cassia thought for a moment and adjusted her robe. Cloaking her head under her dark hood, she stepped forward to her remaining sisters and said, “We have 365 days until next Halloween. Let the search of the Fourth begin.” 

October 29, 2020 05:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.