Contest #181 shortlist ⭐️

The Wizard of Washington Square

Submitted into Contest #181 in response to: Write a story about someone who has to “move mountains” to get what they want.... view prompt

20 comments

Contemporary Horror American

There is a wizard in Washington Square. He wears a billowing cloak, bundled in a pile on his shoulders; he is a tall creature, and with the ebony fabric wrapped up to his ears, he looks even larger. The rest of the cloak drapes down his legs, swaying in fraying threads at his ankles. His jeans—black, too—are too short for him, yielding to gray ankles and ragged shoes. He is pale all over, with skin dead blue pale like a corpse. His hair is like pale wheat in need of a glinting scythe. For all his magic, he must cut it in the dim reflection of an out-of-service train with a pocket knife.

He seeks out the sun on the eastern side in the mornings. After all, it is January, and the wind is a choppy wave that encases him in a smooth shell of stiff numbness. The baron's fingers are slow on his blackberry. The foreigner's lips stumble over lolling syllables. The playwright curls her fingers around her smoldering Dunhill, seeking the warmth at its fading edge. They are all faces the wizard knows. They, too, seek warmth, and the sun knows this well, floats through corridors of streets, gleams wickedly in lonely window panes. Even in the light, January is an inescapable, gnawing cold as the city grinds its teeth against the onslaught of winter.

The wizard has one companion—his black piano. A tarp lies over it, dark and magicked to fight off deterioration. Tucked inside are slippery tubs of vaseline. The wheels whistle when the breeze hits them right, and the legs bear many scuffs and nicks. A carving on the side reads, 'This machine kills fascists'.

The piano sleeps outside with the wizard. It is his only semblance of home.

He plays Chopin on Sunday as the distant bells of St. Patrick's Cathedral strike blow after blow. The pigeons churn around and around him like silver-clad knights. They settle on the gray oaks until his fingers grow too stiff to play any longer, then they soar to find some other form of entertainment, chasing after the cabs that roam the city like yellow ogres.

It is harder for him to escape his boredom. When misery swirls in the cavernous expanse of his limbs— hungry but always without food, tired but always without rest, longing but always without peace— he summons wraiths out of the empty streets. Their chittering sounds like the screeching of train breaks, and they cackle at his cold shell of a body, but they are company. They swirl from grates and scatter in puffs, reaching out with incorporeal tendrils— wrapping gleaming, moist claws around his throat. Only then does he send them away.

Sometimes, he will leave his black piano and walk down to Chelsea. He imagines the maroon lanes on either side of the road come from the blood of the artists who dared to dream in a city so insatiable. Within the cracks of the pavement, he speculates, smiling, are clots from lyricists and musicians and painters and photographers. And, if the wizard looks long and hard, he can imagine his name within the coagulating bubbles.

He plays every day. When asked why he says for freedom. But the truth is he would chain himself to the subway before leaving New York, before leaving behind his black piano and the other souls trapped within the groaning alleyways. It is not easy to be a performer, the devil had said, long ago, with a knowing grin; he was already palming the wispy edges of his soul. You will have to move heaven and earth, and even then, you will not make it. Even then, it will not be enough.

Sometimes, the wizard horrifies himself. Curls up underneath the cold embrace of his black piano and shakes apart with every sound in the dark. His fingers, white and slimy as mackerel, curl around protection charms. They are not enough. He bares his teeth at wandering footsteps and buries his freezing limbs tighter and tighter in his cloak. Spits up bile after seeking out dinner in alleyway bins. The bad moments are dredges of Hell, if Hell is cold and impersonal, if Hell reflects absurdity’s deranged smile. His black piano shudders and shakes against the tempest of the night, and those are the times that remind the wizard of the totality of his isolation. And he, alone, must ward off the wretched hands of the night.

As long as the night lasts, though, the sun always comes around with its sardonic grin. It congratulates the wizard with its temporary warmth, whispering about another night braved, and the wizard is not prideful enough to decline its comfort.

It is not all bad. Children hold their parents' hands with fat, chubby fingers and God in their eyes. They pinch crisp bills, crinkling them with excited apprehension. A girl leaves a sweet wafer that makes his face flush with the heat of a sugar rush, a balm against the cold. A baby waddles up and holds the wizard's ugly hands, rubbing the vaseline for him. A prodigy plays beside him, sheepish and young. Other sorcerers stop for him, too. A woman in a crochet cap and sneakers sets her bags down on an adjourning bench. She begins to dance. The only proof that she is real is the scuffing of the soles of her shoes on the pavement. Magic courses in tendrils through the air. She dances for hours. She dances warmth into the wizard’s thin and bony fingers. She dances life into the empty corpses of the other homeless lounging around. She dances apathy into love. Her loose clothes billow around her like open curtains on a June evening. He sways in his shawl as his bones croak in the cold. She smiles and takes his hands when he can play no longer, tracing stories onto the chapped lines of his palms. She leaves after dropping a tulip and a fifty in the black jar he’s left out. She comes back every few weeks. Each time is like the first, and it is visitors like her that remind him why he chose this life.

He would not give this up. Not for fame, not for money. Not for a love that loves him back. He is the wizard on the eastern side of Washington Square, and after decades, the sun is the one that seeks him out. It is the wraiths that summon him. And it is his name whispered in tire screeches on bloody streets in Chelsea.

This fictional story is based on a real man I saw performing in Washington Square. His name is Colin Huggins and he had become homeless. He pushes his piano around the city to try to make enough money to live. His playing was indeed magical. 

Homelessness is a rampant issue in America, and sometimes that is easy to forget. If you liked this story, spare a moment to donate to the man who made it possible. His venmo is @everythingwillbeok.  

January 17, 2023 18:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Michał Przywara
22:46 Jan 26, 2023

Fascinating. Is the wizard truly free? He's free to pursue his art, and he's free of many of the concerns the rest of people have. But so too is he chained to his piano, and the freedom comes with a huge price. Sounds like the devil was right on this one. This is tagged horror, and I wonder - what is the horror? Is it homelessness? We can make an argument that he's unwell, that the way he sees the world isn't entirely realistic, and that he's sabotaging his own life for some lofty pursuit of art. But maybe it's the other way. Maybe he pursu...

Reply

Lee Disco
13:27 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you so much for all your feedback, I'm glad it could resonate with you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dianne Gardner
18:34 Feb 07, 2023

I loved the prose of your words. I tutor a young girl in reading. Her teacher suggested short stories for vocabulary. I read it to her, so she wouldn’t miss the rhythm and cadence I found in your work! Keep writing. You have a true gift.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:27 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you so much, I'm very flattered you chose my work to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Athena Granados
16:15 Feb 02, 2023

There is some dissonance in the wizardry of the author and the topic he wrote about and yet it is this dissonance that reverberates all throughout the story. So brilliantly written, and yet so poignantly sad. It is evocative of many textured nuances of emotion layered into one's awareness of a bothersome socio-economic issue - homelessness. It is both heartbreaking and thought-provoking. Beautiful prose woven into the harsh realities of life in America.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:28 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
16:29 Jan 29, 2023

Fine work Lee. Congrats.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:28 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
17:56 Feb 18, 2023

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Valerie Shand
03:33 Jan 28, 2023

You have a beautiful way with words. I could picture him, his piano, and the dancer too. I enjoyed this read.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:28 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
18:09 Jan 27, 2023

Congratulations on shortlisting this week, Lee! Awesome work!

Reply

Lee Disco
13:28 Feb 18, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marilyn Filewood
21:10 Jan 25, 2023

The writing is superb, the metaphors, the imagination, wonderful. A brilliant portrayal of the Wizard. Simple sentences like the piano "sleeps outside with the wizard" . Just a hint of "craziness" (for want of a better word). Marvellous.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:29 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:30 Jan 18, 2023

Moving and magical, like music. An exquisite portrait of Colin Huggins.

Reply

Lee Disco
13:29 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
00:23 Jan 18, 2023

This story is impressive. Your storytelling is moving and a joy to read. Your images are so descriptive with fine detail. So wonderfully done. The flow and pacing of this story are excellent. The best I've read on Reedsy to date. I loved how you turned a man who plays piano into a magical wizard related to his talent. Recognizing that he plays to survive because he is homeless is sad. Going through what the wizard faces while mentioning the piano every time shows his dependence on his piano. Then calling others who support him sorcerers,...

Reply

Lee Disco
13:29 Feb 18, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Lily Finch
14:34 Feb 18, 2023

You should have won. Too bad. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.