The Beasts in the Garage

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Start your story with an unusual sound being heard.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny

I’m blissfully taking my afternoon nap when I hear a noise I did not recognize. It was a high-pitched shriek. Or squeal. I couldn’t really tell. I lift my head, listening. I try to focus on the area I heard it from. What was that noise? I look around at my surroundings. The couch across from me seems normal. The pillow I like to chew on, still in the spot I last left it. My favorite stuffed animal, tucked in next to me. Was it a car? Are they home? I decide it’s worth it to investigate. Stretching my lengthy legs as I rise from my nice, warm bed. There. There it was again. Coming from… outside? Out the front door? I let out a warning grunt as I swagger over to survey the front room. All is still and quiet. Except- wait, that was just a bird outside the window. I start to circle around the room, sniffing the air. Nothing unusual. The savory smell of bacon taunts me as I start to stroll over to the kitchen. 

Following the scent, I arrive at the white trash can. Nudging the swinging door open with my nose, I let out an excited yip. Jackpot. I nibble at the treasure I found, my tail happily wagging. Except it was not treasure, it was a paper towel covered in bacon grease. I pull it out anyway and start to chew on it. The flavor was still wonderful, and I wonder why they threw it in the trash. Silly. They are so silly sometimes. There the noise was again. I gaze around the room; my ears perked with curiosity. What was that noise? Nothing like I had ever heard before. This time I march over to the garage door. There. It was definitely coming from there. I let out a threatening snarl this time. Not in my house. A stray light crosses the ceiling behind me, stealing my attention from the threat in the garage. I run towards the window, bellowing out a warning for all to hear. My fur started rising on edge as I sat there, studying the front yard. Nothing. All looks normal, from the hard pavement of the sidewalk to the bushes by the door. It must’ve been a car passing by. I stare at the bushes a little longer, just in case. My tail relaxes to its normal, gentle swaying. But this time the noise from the garage was amplified. I decide I’m tired of this thing mocking me. Mocking me in my own house that I am supposed to protect. I rush over to the garage door, letting out thunderous barks to establish my dominance. The piercing noise echoed, as if there was more than one origin. How many beasts were roaming my garage? I start to scratch at the door. I know you are in there, and you better back off. I try to relay my thoughts through my barks. 

I could hear the familiar hum of his car from outside. They are home, they are home!  I forgot all about the noise, letting my body shake with glee. I run to the window again, tail thwacking anything in reach. I spin in place a few times before jumping back up against the window. My claws accidentally scraped against the window, leaving small marks. I heard the loud creaks of the heavy garage door slowly open. That’s when I remembered. The noise. The beasts. In the garage, where my humans were now pulling into. I clamor back over to the garage door, trying to warn them. I let out cautionary howls while bounding and crashing against the door. Over the sound of the car doors opening and closing, I heard the noise again. It resonated this time as well, like a chorus of the sound. I heard my humans exclaim as the sound intensified. I dart back and forth, unable to protect them from my current position behind the door. I start whining in-between my barks. I hear the rustle of my two humans moving objects around the garage. The noise, still echoing throughout the room. I hear my humans calling out for the beasts. Before I can wonder why they were calling for the beasts, the high-pitched shrieking silences. The doorknob rattles as I bounce backwards, landing in a crouching stance. Tail straight, I was ready to take on whatever was coming through that door. The door swings open hard, and I pounce. 

“Duke! Oh, Duke! Hello there, my crazy boy.” My human cries out as my pounce of aggression melts into me giving his face loving kisses. My tail is wagging at the speed of light as I pant in relief. I start to greet my other human when I halt in my tracks. I notice she is carrying a box, but there’s a strange smell coming from it. One I did not recognize. A moment later, the noise squeals out of the box in her hands. I bounce back and growl in alarm. The noise, the beast, is right there in her arms! I start to bare my teeth, before a pair of fuzzy orange ears peeked over the box. Not long floppy ears like my own, but rather pointed ears. With tufts of delicate fur poking out in disarray. What in the name of biscuits?! I move further away, a confused whimper trailing from my snout. A second pair of ears comes into view, this one grey with slender black stripes. Then a third pair, with pure white fur. The chorus of the noise starts up again as I trot a few anxious circles with my tail tucked. “Don’t be afraid, Duke. They won’t hurt you.” My human says, reaching out to gently pet my head. I whine some more in response. The first pair of ears rose higher and higher, until two small blue eyes were looking at me. What was this creature? Below its eyes were not a snout, but a delicate pink nose. Long, white strands poked out of its cheeks. Two tiny white paws grasped the box as it pulled itself higher. It’s scruffy fur, I realize, is streaked with beige and various shades of orange as well. The other two beasts followed, showing their little foreign faces. 

Overwhelmed with curiosity, I look around the room while shuffling my feet. My humans seemed calm. They are not showing any signs of distress or fear. My human slowly bends over to set down the box. I hesitantly stand there, still on guard despite their peaceful demeanors. Without warning, the box tumbles over and three pint-sized shrieking beasts sprinted at me. I freeze in my panic, unsure of what to do. Run? Defend? Pee? All my instincts were barking at me and yet, I stood there frozen. The beasts, admittedly, had a funny little gallop. It’s almost as if they didn’t quite know how to run, but they were still trying. Chaos broke out when they reached me. The bold orange one started trying to climb up my hind leg. The white one started trying to play with the line of fur that hung underneath my belly. I tried to step to the side, causing me to step on the grey one’s paws by mistake. Instead of reacting in fear, it flipped onto its side and grasped my leg with its paws. The back legs started kicking me in quick strikes. Though the actions it made looked brutal, I felt only a slight nudge with each kick. I looked up at my humans more confused than ever. They smiled back at me and laughed.

The beasts continued their frenzied attack for a while. I even ended up laying down while they rampaged around me. And on me. And somehow, under me. Not just me, but also with each other. I allowed it all, solely because I wanted to watch them out of curiosity. Not, of course, because I liked it. One minute they were still in combat, and the next they curled up together along my side. As small as they are, their warmth was a nice comfort against me. Their normal squeaks and squeals were replaced by a faint rumbling noise. I could feel a subtle vibration coming from the three of them. I finally put my head down, a long breath escaping from me. I gave them one last look before closing my eyes. Maybe, just maybe, I could get used to these miniature beasts.

November 12, 2021 00:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.