0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

“I think it went well,” Suzie remarked to her friend, as the last guest left. She kicked off her heels and tucked her shoulder length hair into a messy bun.

“It went great!” Kerry assured her, heading for the kitchen with an armful of leftover hors d'oeurves.

“Except for the cake,” Suzie pointed out, always a perfectionist.

“It was kind of funny, really,” Kerry snickered. “Congratulations Rachel and Richy instead of Rishi. I don’t think anyone minded.”

“Yeah, Rishi seems like a laid-back guy, but I was embarrassed, because I hadn’t noticed until it was too late,” Suzie sighed.

“They seem so happy, don’t they?” Kerry said, wistfully.

“Rishi seemed exceptionally attentive to Rachel. I don’t remember Jake ever being that sweet to me,” Suzie admitted. “It’s like he’s devoted to her,” she said, while grabbing a garbage bag. “But we’ll see in a few years when life has worn them down some,” she added with pessimism.

“But they’ve been together for 4 years,” Kerry reminded her. “I would think some of the romance would have worn off by now.”

“I know, right? He did dote on her all evening. He seemed to be always touching her or fetching her a drink or a plate.”

“It was sweet to watch,” Kerry said. “I want someone like that.”

“You’ll find him,” Suzie assured her, while grabbing up the discarded paper plates. “They’re in their 40’s. It’s Rach’s second marriage. There’s hope for you right there.”

While Kerry wrapped up the leftovers, Suzie moved the furniture back into place, wondering what time Jake would be home. It was almost 10:00pm.

“Jake was so relieved when I didn’t expect him to hang around for the party,” Suzie confessed. “I’m almost insulted. I mean it was a co-ed bridal shower – it wouldn’t have killed him to stick around long enough to say hello,” Suzie complained.

“Jake is a man’s man though,” Kerry laughed. “In his mind, bridal showers are for women only. I mean Stephanie was the only one who brought her significant other anyway. Jake probably would have been bored only having two guys to talk to.”

“I guess you’re right,” Suzie acquiesced. “But I’ve never met a man as smitten with a woman as Rishi. Jake never hovered over me like that. If we’re at a party he’s usually off talking sports with one of the guys, totally unaware of me.”

Suzie wished Jake were more romantic. He barely grazed her cheek when he left in the mornings. Whatever happened to their date nights? That seemed to be a thing of the past.

“Can I take some of your vegetable dip?” Kerry wanted to know. “I think I need your recipe.”

“Sure. Help yourself.”

Suzie tied up the garbage and hauled it out the sliding glass doors to the garbage. The whoosh of cold air greeted her. She didn’t want Jake to complain about taking it out whenever he got home.

“Well, thank you for making my Friday night interesting,” Kerry said, while rinsing the utensils. “What did you think of Marci’s outfit?”

“If it were anymore low-cut, she would have spilled the girls for all to see. Even loyal Rishi had a hard time keeping eye contact with her. What was she thinking?”

The two women laughed. “I wonder if “the girls” were chilly,” Kerry joked. “Maybe you should have offered her a sweater.”

“You’re bad,” Suzie laughed. “I’m tired,” she said, plopping on the couch. “Want a glass of wine?”

“No, thanks,” Kerry said, joining her. “I should go soon. I have an early morning. Besides Jake will be home and you can have a romantic nightcap with the kids out.”

“Shoot,” Suzie waved her hand dismissively. “Jake will probably turn on the game as soon as he gets home. After 20 years of marriage, he’s hardly the romantic type anymore.”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t be,” Kerry challenged.

“True,” Suzie agreed. “I guess I could make more of an effort too, especially with the kids at sleepovers tonight.”

“On that note, I think I’ll leave you to it,” Kerry said, getting up. “Maybe Jake will surprise you.”

Suzie knew Jake would be tired when he came home, so she didn’t hold out any hope for romance. Kerry didn’t know what it was like to live with the same person for years, but she wouldn’t burst her bubble.

“Thanks for all your help,” Suzie said, watching Kerry walk to her car. The cold air whipped around her bare feet.

“I had fun. Talk to you tomorrow,” Kerry said, cheerfully.

Suzie sighed at all the decorations still to come down. Putting on her comfy clothes and warm, fuzzy socks, she set about her task. So much time and effort went into decorating. Would she ever use any of them again?

By the time, the house was back to normal, Jake still wasn’t home. Suzie left a piece of cake she had saved for him on the counter. She was more disappointed than she wanted to admit that he still wasn’t home. Leaving the overhead stove light on, she headed upstairs. The house was so quiet. When was the last time she’d been home alone at night? Instead of enjoying the time by herself, she missed Jake. Had they let their relationship get too comfortable? Did Jake look forward to coming home?

               Suzie was ensconced in her novel when she finally heard the front door. It was almost 11:00pm. She stuffed down the anger she felt when truly she was just hurt. Keeping the peace would be the better road to take, she decided.

               “Hey,” Jake said, coming upstairs with his lopsided grin. That smile had charmed her from the beginning. He needed a haircut, but she liked the way it fell in his eyes. With the more recent silver streaks, he looked sexy as hell.

“Hey,” she answered, putting down her book. Realizing how frumpy she must look in her sweats.

“How did the party go,” he asked, changing into his shorts.

Jake had gained a few pounds over the years, but he still looked good. As a contractor he was constantly lifting heavy things, which helped stave off the dad body.

“I think it was a success. Rachel and Rishi seemed to appreciate it. Marci wore a flamboyant outfit that was too small, so that provided some entertainment. You should have seen the scarlet look on Rishi’s face,” Suzie joked.

“Sorry I’m so late,” he said, sitting on the bed next to her.

“Yeah, I had hoped you’d be home earlier,” Suzie admitted, keeping the hurt from her voice.

“Come downstairs with me,” he urged. “Let’s watch Netflix,” he smiled, in a good mood.

By now Suzie was tired, and just wanted to go to sleep, but she followed him down anyway. “I saved you a piece of cake,” she told him, flicking on the kitchen light.

Jake had a huge grin on his face as he stood by the refrigerator.

“What’s the grin for?” she said, smiling back at him. He was up to something.

He opened the freezer with a flourish. “I got your favorite ice cream,” he said, proudly. “I had to go to 3 stores to find your flavor. I thought we could binge watch the new thriller.”

Suddenly Suzie’s heart melted. There might not be very many firsts left in their marriage these days, but the intimacy of really knowing each other outweighed all that.

               “Aah, Jake,” she smiled. “Netflix sounds great!”

               They huddled on the couch – he with his cake, and Suzie with her ice cream, her head on his shoulder. It didn’t get better than this, she thought. She wouldn’t trade their history for anything. He was her person, who truly got her. That took years to build.

May 13, 2021 13:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.