2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Teens & Young Adult

" I was just a little girl, so tender and innocent", I screamed to the tall man standing in front of me. A baby abandoned at the age of 2 for reasons she never could comprehend. I yearned for my father and protector when I was sad and afraid but he was never there to comfort me. I always thought, somehow, I was an unwanted child that would have been aborted. I already began having traumas at a very young age. My primary schoolmates would be picked up from school by their fathers and would be comforted in their loving arms. I would be so envious of them, because, I knew that I may never feel the love of a father. Everyday I prayed that you'd come back, even if it was just for me. But my prayers were never answered. Sometimes, my class teacher - Miss Ada would be asked to take me home because mom always had to work late to provide for the both of us.

It may not have been so bad at nursery school because I wasn't fully aware of the situation as a little girl, but as I got into primary school, things got worse for me. It would seem as though other children were making fun of me when they'd ask me where my father was and why he never came to pick me up from school. Such questions always gave me watery eyes. I would bury my head on my class desk after most my classmates had gone home as I was waiting for my class teacher to finish up with her days' work. She was a good friend of moms', so she knew our problem and would always try to console me anytime she saw me crying. Some days, we got home while mom was still at work, she told me stories to make me stronger and forget about my pain. She told me stories of brave little girls who grew up as orphans and never shed a tear or looked weak about their situation. She told me to be grateful for my mom who is still with me, alive and well. She told me the story of how she lost her parents and how she overcame the pain and trauma. She told those stories while smiling, so I would always try to be as brave as she was. Before she left for her own home, she would prepare a meal for my mom and I, which she would give me to eat after cooking, leaving the rest for mom whenever she came back from work.

The stories she told me became my primordial stories of inspiration. From those days onward, I tried my best to stay strong, being less of a crybaby. I began to perform better in school with Miss Ada giving me home lessons in her spare time. She prepared me for the secondary school entrance examination, which I passed on my first trial. She is my best friend and role model.

Before leaving for secondary school, Miss Ada and Mom warned and advised me on many issues. Most importantly, the type of people I would keep as friends. Then, there was the matter of boys and their cunning nature, and keeping away from any possible danger or negative influence. Mom talked to me later one evening. She finally told me why you left. She said you were not able to fend for the family and didn't have the courage to face her as an infidel. She begged me not to make the mistake of fooling around with any boy, a mistake she made and gravely regrets. She urged me to always remember who I am and never let distractions overcome me.

And as it would happen, boys came hovering around, they were successful with other girls who lacked discipline but I knew what I had suffered and remembered what I was taught and did not allow anyone take me for granted. But amongst all the teenage lust and testosterone thrust, I was able to find someone, a good friend who has always been there for me. He was able to relate to my problems, and would always keep me company, tell me jokes and advise me on the important things in life. He may have been my classmate but I really respected him as though he was a wise man or my father.

The tall man tried to hold Evelyn but she immediately noticed and dodged, then he said "I know you hate me for abandoning you but I was so afraid at the time. I was so selfish, thinking about what people would think of me, an infidel unable to provide for his family, a disgrace. I was young and did not understand the consequences of my hideous actions. I may not have much to say but I want to beg you from the bottom of my heart to forgive me for making you suffer, all these time. Forgive me for being the worst father, a failure. For years, I have not been able to find peace within myself so I had to find you and ask for your forgiveness. Even if you decide not to forgive me, I pray the good Lord does not hold it against you as it is all my fault. I am happy to see the woman you have become and I pray your children live the best of lives".

Evelyn swiftly interrupts him " Surely, they will. I forgave you a long time ago and I'm already over you. I am not the one you should be asking for forgiveness. You should be begging mom to forgive you. She trusted you with everything she had. She loved you so much. I had people to comfort me in your absence but she didn't have the same. She had to raise me all alone, work twice as hard to make sure we didn't lack the basic amenities. She had to hide her pain to make me feel better. Some nights, I would hear her crying but let her be because she is also human and had to let things out. She is my only parent and it would remain that way. So if you want to hear it, I forgive you, because you are my father. I am your offspring so I would always respect you and would not blame you but you are not my daddy because you play no role in my life. As you have seen, I am perfectly fine so don't have to worry about me. I want you to have your peace. Goodbye Father".

Her father was left with no option than to leave her presence. He made the worst mistake a man could ever make in his lifetime. He may have been forgiven but his sins were not forgotten. He would turn the hands of time if he could, to mend this broken bond between a father and his daughter. As he completely leaves her sight in shame, Evelyn sits on the floor, breaking down in tears. Her father came late, years after she really needed him, but she still loves him.

November 30, 2020 23:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Beth Connor
23:13 Dec 09, 2020

Hi- here for the critique circle! I enjoyed your story and you did a really good job of building the reader's understanding of Evelyn, and her emotions. You could tell she was a strong young woman. I hope she and her father are able to build a different kind of relationship. Some parts of the reading were a little confusing when you switched perspective. It might be more clear if you stayed with Evelyn in 1st person the whole time.

Reply

02:45 Dec 10, 2020

Thank you. I'll try to be better next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.