6 comments

Romance Sad Teens & Young Adult

“Jamie?” the old woman called out.

“Yes mom”, replied Jamie. He walked from the kitchen to tend to his mother. He sat next to her and took her hand in his.

“Please don’t tell me about the wife thingy again” he leaned back into the couch. Looking away from her to watch the outside world which seemed more interesting.

The old woman grinned from ear to ear knowingly. Her wrinkles became even more evident and her eyes beamed with love for her dear son. She knew that her time was near, she soon won’t be able to hold her son. He would be alone without her. Old Aimee did not wish for her son to live life alone. With that, she made it her daily mission to converse about his nonexistent love life till her last breath.

“Look at me son”, she focused her eyes on her son who seemed to take a liking to the window. Jamie took in a deep breath and positioned himself to face his old lady. He leaned towards her with his eyebrows raised with a wide smile reaching his hazel eyes. The sun rays danced around their complexioned skin and brought out the colour in their eyes.

“I know you’re no too fond of this subject but please, you know that I won’t be around forever. I need you to open your heart to that girl, let her love you like I love you, like you love me. Now go get mommy some flowers”, said old Aimee. She caressed his cheek while he nodded in response. They’ve had one too many talks like this before.

“Oh mother, you never get old do you, a part of me wishes you had dementia”, chuckled Jamie. He gently stood up, took his wallet, his coat and a snack. He made his way to the door and as he pulled it towards himself, he looked back at his old lady who was still smiling. Smiling to himself, he shook his head and walked out.

Walking down the street, he looked around the area near the florist shop hoping to see his beloved.

“Hello Maia”, he greeted the shop owner. A tall and chubby woman with chocolate dreadlocks. 

“Hello Jamie, I have the feeling someone is going to be happy today”, she wiggled her eyebrows and placed her eyes on a short, petite woman she knew. Her golden hair flowed from shoulder to shoulder. She wore a floral summer dress and a sun hat.

Jamie smiled at the sight of her but quickly resumed scanning the flowers in front of him. Amaryllis, carnations and anthuriums caught his eyes as he remembered their meanings. 

“Did the amaryllis hypnotize you?” asked a golden-haired lady behind him. One he knew all too well.

“No Julia, flowers can’t hypnotize you,” he giggled “Where’d you get that from?” Jamie turned around to face her, holding a pink carnation between his fingers. Smiling at the flower, he faced up to see a laughing Julia.

“Nice flower, for your mom?” asked Julia.

“Yes, my dear, want to know why?” he asked.

“Yeah sure”

“You see this flower right here is called a pink carnation. It represents a mother’s love and sometimes gratitude. Today I’m buying this one for her because she’s all I have, and I’d probably go crazy without her. She loves me more than anyone could ever, she’s the best. Anyway, enough with the emotional stuff, I have to head back.”

Jamie picked a few more flowers and made his way to Maia who wiggled her eyebrows once again as if she knew something he didn’t. Maia wrapped the flowers neatly with kraft paper and a loop tie. 

On his way out, he bumped into Julia again and felt his heart skip a beat. He smiled widely as he apologized to her. After taking a few steps, he felt a light tap on his shoulder. Looking back, he saw Julia smiling and staring straight into his soul. 

“Hey uhm I’d like you to come over sometime. I want to cook for you”. She faced down to look at her shoes, letting the sun hat completely cover her face.

Jamie’s eyes widened before he could reply. He placed his hand on her soft fair cheek to lift her face. “Julia… I’d like nothing more, how about tonight?”

His chest began playing the drums decided to remove his sweaty hand from Julia’s face.

“Really?”, Julia let out a long sigh of relief and let her shoulders slouch a little.

“Yes really.”

Julia squealed with excitement. After giving Jamie a peck on the cheek she galloped home.

*****

“Doesn’t someone look cheerful today, did the flowers sing to you?” the old woman chuckled. She stared at her son expectantly with a wide grin across her face. Her hands clasped and fingers interlaced. It had been a while since plain old Jamie smiled. “Well go on sweetheart”.

Jamie stared at his star-struck looking mother before taking off his coat and sitting beside her. Handing her the flowers, he looked into her glowing hazel eyes. He gently embraced her wrinkled and speckled hands. Old Aimee took in a deep breath, deciding that now was the time to let him go. Up to the time of saying her last goodbyes, she pulled in her little boy for a warm yet final embrace. The pair snuggled for eternity until Aimee pulled back and voiced her thoughts.

“My boy, its time. Any day from now the cancer will take me”, she paused briefly to wipe the streams of tears running down her delicate and frail skin. “I-I want you to, to know that mommy loves you and wants the best for you. You must let go now, you’re a man now Jamie, a very good one. You know son, most people spend their whole lives looking for what you have in front of you.” Her low and tense voice faded within the last words, after taking in her last breath she left a humble smile on her thin crimson lips and gave up the ghost.

“It’s alright mom, I love you.” With those words, Jamie planted a kiss on his old lady for the last time and left her side. He rushed to his room and slammed the door behind him, threw himself on his bed and let the tears flow down. He knew this moment would come even if he had prepared for it, one cannot be too prepared for the death of a loved one. All he could do now was to fulfil her last and only wish, confess his love for Julia.

*****

“Thank you, I’ll begin with the preparation tomorrow”

“If you need anything Jamie just let me know alright, you just enjoy your date with Julia tonight, and I’ll take care of the rest”

“Oh Maia, you’re the best, I don’t know how much I could thank you”

“Like I said, we all this was bound to happen. Now go before I come beat your behind for keeping her waiting!” the woman chuckled and hung up.

***** 

“Knock, knock, its Jamie”. The young man looked down to his shoes, hesitating to make eye contact with her. He fidgeted with the hem of his t-shirt, trying to calm himself down, although the swarm of butterflies in his stomach wouldn’t let him. Waiting for the door to open, he thought about how he would express his passion for Julia.

The door opens, revealing a stunning Julia with an angelic smile, her long golden hair tied up in a messy bun that still looked perfect on her. “Hey there chocolate, come on in”, she said. She motioned him to take a seat at a table for two. “Just give a moment and I’ll bring the food okay”, she flashed a broad smile exposing her white, enviable teeth. Her maxi pink dress swayed from side to side as she approached the kitchen. Jamie only had few seconds to himself before Julia returned. 

She came back with a large bowl in her hands. The aroma filled the whole room. Jamie almost found himself drooling. Forgetting all about his troubles, he was eager to taste the food. Julia had her chin up along with a gracious smile displaying her happiness. Julia dished up the delicious cheesy meal. “Pasta, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, chicken fillets, cheese sauce, milk, salt and pepper and secret spices of my own. And of course, some broccoli and cauliflower boiled in seasoned water, drained then I added cheese sauce to that too.”

Julia sat down and stared at Jamie expectantly, with her hands clasped below her chin. Her eyes lit up as Jamie took the first bite. He nodded his head and groaned with approval. Locking eyes with Julia, he saw nothing but pure love and beauty. “Julia my love,” she held her breath when she heard the last word, “this is enchantingly delicious, you made this for me?” Julia nodded intensely and once again fixed her sight on him. 

A comfortable silence fell into the room as the pair ate their dinner, exchanging glances every other moment. Shy giggles seemed to be the only conversation. 

Jamie finished eating his food, neatly wiping his mouth and placing the utensils on the plate. He patiently waited for Julia to finish. He watched her intently as her fair cheeks flushed red at the sight of him.

Now was his chance. He cleared his throat and looked straight into her emerald eyes, “I have something most people spend their whole lives searching for,”

“What’s that?”

“Someone who would give me the whole world if I asked, it terrifies me, but I don’t care. Julia… would you spend the rest o your life with me?”

Julia’s eyes grew as large as two watermelons as she took in the words of Jamie, words she always wanted to hear since he laid eyes on her.

She got up from her seat and leapt to Jamie, hunched over to embraced him and let tears of joy freely escape her eyes. She pulled back to take in all his features and admired his hazel eyes, perfectly trimmed eyebrows, soft and curly hair and pigmented thin lips. “Jamie, yes. I’d spend an eternity with you over and over again!”

With that said, Jamie stood up from his seat, making his height tower over Julia and pulled her in for a long and warm hug. “Thank you”, he whispered under his breath.

June 28, 2021 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

03:55 Jul 08, 2021

I couldn't help but smile when I read this. Perhaps because of your choice of words, which are rather poetic. I like how the story depicts the beginning and end of a chapter in someone's life.

Reply

Melo Hale
10:27 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gerald Daniels
21:23 Jul 07, 2021

Great story, sad, poignant and moving.

Reply

Melo Hale
10:26 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Levone
20:51 Jul 04, 2021

Nice! I fell short trying to write a story for this prompt!! It's interesting how you turned it into a love story- Not just between Jamie and Julia, but also between Jamie and his mother. I absolutely love it! (Lol, I'm getting riled up to try and write something similar!!)

Reply

Melo Hale
08:49 Jul 06, 2021

Yes go for it!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.