0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

The sky wept a mournful curtain of grey across the autumn sky. The air was heavy, thick with the scent of damp earth and decaying leaves. It was a day that clung to the soul, a day that echoed the fear that had settled upon Salem like a shroud. 

The usual bustle of the town had vanished, replaced by an eerie silence broken only by the patter of rain on the slate roofs and the howl of the wind through the skeletal branches of the trees. Whispers snaked through the shadows, fueled by paranoia and suspicion. The unseen specter of witchcraft hung heavy in the air, leaving the village trapped in a web of doubt and terror.

The wind bit at Ikabelle’s face as she walked home. She’d been visiting her friend, Martha, who’d been sick with a cough. Martha, with her pale skin and thin frame, always seemed on the verge of disappearing, like the wisps of smoke that drifted from her chimney. Ikabelle had brewed an herbal tonic to help clear her lungs, something she’d done countless times before. There was nothing sinister in her actions, only a deep love for her friend and knowledge passed down through generations. Yet, in Salem, even the most innocent actions could be twisted and misinterpreted. 

Ikabelle paused by the side of the road, a soft sigh escaping her lips.The whispers of witches and the devil had been growing louder lately. Ikabelle, with her love of the natural world and knowledge of ancient remedies, was already a target, but this unease felt different. It was darker, more menacing.

The streets, once thriving with life, were eerily deserted. Doors were bolted, windows shuttered, and curtains drawn. Inside the darkened houses, families huddled close, their faces pale, their breaths shallow. A low moan echoed across the road, a sound that sent chills down Ikabelle’s spine. It was the wind, whistling through the bare branches of the ancient maple tree that stood in the churchyard. 

Ikabelle looked at her hands, calloused and rough from years of tending to the sick and the suffering. Hands that had birthed life, hands that had eased pain, hands that now seemed to carry the mark of the devil.

Fear, a cold tendril, twisted in her gut. She thought of the trials, the accusations, the flames. The horrors, fueled by the whispers, the stares, the fear etched on the faces of her neighbors, once friends, now strangers.

The accusations had started subtly - a misplaced butter churn, a cow that suddenly went dry, a child with a cough that refused to break. Each misfortune was attributed to an evil force, a witch's hand, reaching out from the shadows. And then, the whispers began. At first they were low and veiled, carried on the breeze like the scent of smoke, but they grew louder, bolder, fueled by fear and suspicion. 

Ikabelle’s hand moved to her neck, clutching at the necklace her grandmother had gifted her, a pendant of polished silver etched with the symbol of a tree, its branches reaching towards the heavens. It was a symbol of strength and resilience. Yet, here she stood, trembling, paralyzed by fear that her community would betray her.

Suddenly, a twig snapped behind her. Ikabelle spun around, her heart pounding like a drum against her chest. She saw a figure emerge from behind the church, shrouded in mist, the rain washing away any semblance of detail. For a fleeting moment, terror seized her, her mind conjuring images of demons, their eyes glowing with evil intent.

Then, the figure stepped into the light, and Ikabelle recognized the face. It was Mary, her neighbor. Relief washed over her. Mary was a kind soul, a woman who had always shown Ikabelle kindness and respect. What was she doing here in the storm?

Mary's face was pale, her eyes wide with fear. 'Ikabelle,' she whispered, her voice hoarse. 'I need your help. They're coming for me.'

Ikabelle felt a surge of protectiveness. “'They? Who, Mary? Tell me who’s after you.'

But Mary only pointed a shaking finger towards the church, her eyes wide with terror. 'They're coming,' she gasped. 'They're coming to take me away.'

Ikabelle’s heart clenched. She glanced down the street. There, emerging from the shadows of the old church, came a mob of people, their faces twisted with anger and fear. They were shouting, their voices rising above the storm, “Witch! Witch!”

“What’s going on?” Ikabelle demanded, her voice tight with fear. “What have they done to you?”

Mary’s eyes darted nervously from side to side. “They blame me, Ikabelle. They say I’m a witch.”

“A witch?” Ikabelle scoffed. “You? You’re the kindest soul in Salem!”

“My chickens,” Mary whimpered. “All the other farms have been ravaged by foxes, but my… my chickens are safe.”

Ikabelle’s mind raced. It was true. Mary’s chickens were the only ones in Salem that had been untouched. It was a puzzling anomaly due to the ever-present fear of witchcraft, and the townsfolk were assigning blame.

“They think I’m protecting the chickens with magic,” Mary said, her voice trembling. “They think I’m a witch.”

Ikabelle’s heart pounded. She had to make a choice.

“Ikabelle, what are we going to do?” Mary pleaded.

Ikabelle took a deep breath, her eyes flickering to the approaching mob. She closed her eyes, focusing on the storm, on the erratic rhythm of the wind and the chaotic drumming of the rain. She felt a strange calm wash over her, a familiar sense of detachment. It was a feeling she had learned to control, a power she had hidden for so long. 

She opened her eyes, her gaze meeting Mary’s. “Mary,” she said, her voice calm and steady, “I need you to trust me.”

Mary looked at her, confusion clouding her face. “Ikabelle, what are you doing?”

“I’m going to make them stop,” Ikabelle said, her voice firm. She took a deep breath, focusing all her energy. And then, with a sudden surge of power, she stopped time.

The world went silent. The wind ceased its howling, the rain stopped its relentless drumming. The mob of townspeople froze mid-stride, their shouts echoing in the stillness.

“What is happening?” Mary whispered, her eyes wide with disbelief. “Ikabelle, how did you do that?”

Ikabelle took a step forward, and then another, walking towards Mary. “I’m a witch, Mary,” her voice low and steady. “I’ve always been a witch.”

Mary’s eyes widened. “But you’re not like them. You’re kind, Ikabelle. You’re good.”

“Most witches are good.” A faint smile touched Ikabelle’s lips. “Men fear what they cannot understand and hate what they cannot control.”

Ikabelle glared back at the mob, frozen in their attempt to persecute her dear friend. 

“Give me your coat.” Ikabelle removed her shawl and handed it to Mary. She pulled Mary’s jacket over her shoulders, fastening it precisely how she had it.

“What… what are you doing?” Mary stuttered.

“They have always thought we were sisters” Ikabelle shrugged.

With a snap, Ikabelle brought the mob back to life and stepped forward, a sly smile playing on her lips. The mob only saw the familiar silhouette of Mary, the accused witch, and their collective rage turned toward her. Ikabelle was now the target of their blind fury. She turned and fled, leaving Mary safe in the shadows.

Just yesterday, Ikabelle had been tending her garden, her fingers tracing the new lavender blooms. Now she was a hunted creature.

Reaching the churchyard, she stumbled towards the giant tree. The air around it hummed with energy. As she touched the rough bark, a wave of power surged through her body, whispers swirling around her like a chilling wind.

Ikabelle was not alone. She was surrounded by them – the ghosts of witches who had been burned, hanged, and stoned, their eyes burning with righteous anger. They were her family, her brothers and sisters, and they were ready for vengeance.

The mob arrived, their faces contorted with hate. 'There she is!' roared a man, his voice hoarse with rage. 'The witch! Burn her!'

Ikabelle looked at the faces before her. These were not the people she knew, the people she had shared harvests and laughter with. This was a monster, a collective entity fueled by ignorance and fear. 

She raised her hands, the power of the witches flowing through her veins. It was a power honed by sorrow and injustice.

'Listen to me!' she cried, her voice echoing with power. 'I am one of you!' 

Her words were swallowed by the roar of the mob, she saw the blind rage that fueled their actions. 

Suddenly, whispers erupted from the hoard, accusations flying like sparks, each pointing fingers at their neighbors. The anger, once focused on Ikabelle, now turned inwards. The mob, driven by the whispers of the witches they once persecuted, began to turn on each other.

A man who accused his own wife of being a witch was now being accused by his son. A man who had condemned his neighbor for witchcraft was now being dragged by the mob, his own accusations echoing back at him. The chaos spiraled, the mob consumed by their own fear they had used to attack the innocent.

The wind, now strong and frigid, swept through the churchyard. Ikabelle watched. This was a power she couldn't control, a force unleashed that was not entirely hers.

The night was filled with the screams of the mob, a chorus of their own making. In the end, it was not Ikabelle's magic that brought them down, but their own darkness, amplified by the whispers of the witches who refused to be silenced.

The roar began to dull and was finally taken over by a soft patter of rain on the church roof. The wind became a soothing breeze, mirroring the calmness that washed over the churchyard.

Ikabelle placed both hands on the maple tree, warmth radiating through her. “Thank you,” she paused and gazed up into the ancient branches, “you won’t be forgotten.”

June 08, 2024 02:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.