0 comments

General

He drank his way across the Narrow sea. Which he had thought would make the rough churning waters more hospitable, he was incorrect in that assessment. He had lost count as to how many times he had to wretch in the small bucket that lay in the corner of his small cabin. He tried thinking happy thoughts to make himself feel better, "Maybe going up on deck and getting some from fresh sea air would help". He slowly got up and put on a pair of woolen breeches and light linen shirt.  

 By the time he reached the top of the first landing he was exhausted and covered with beads of sweat. "I'm either out of shape or this sea life does not agree with me".  When he finally got outside the brisk air felt like a slap in the face, waking him up and making him forget about his nausea.  How many days had they been at sea, it was hard to keep count in his dark cabin. It took him some time to adjust his eyes to the bright sunlight, quite different from the day they had departed on a cloudy and dreary day with warships in pursuit, luckily this was one of the fastest ships in this part of the world and the wind had been on their side.  

The thought of all the treasures in the hold below, they were the answers to all of family's troubles. That also helped ease his stomach, The thought of seeing his wife and children's faces after all this time when he returned home brought a broad smile to his scarred face. Yes indeed the disorder that had once faced them was soon to be in the past. As he walked toward the port side of the vessel to get a view of the passing islands, the familiar voice of the captain came from behind.. "Feeling better my little friend?"  "I am at that good sir" he replied.  

I cannot thank you enough for the transport for of myself and the cargo below, as I said you will be rewarded when we reach home beyond your wildest dreams". 

 The captain gave a him a smile and handed him a bowl of fresh fruit, 

" you need to eat my little friend, your looking right pekid, wine isn't always the best to thing gain your sea legs you know"

 "I'll have to agree with you on that good sir". 

 "We still have a rough patch of storms coming our way"

"Wonderful" thought the little man sarcastically to himself.

 " I have some nice calming poppy tea in my quarters you could try" it should make the rest of our journey a little easier for you to stomach.

 The thought of spending the next few days being sick in his tiny cabin again did not sound appealing at all.

 "Alright, I'll have some of your tea then"

Good decision sir, I'll fetch it for you.

 As the captain went below. The little man continued to watch the calm waters as the passed the Islands with no name. He was day dreaming of that he and his family would do with his newly acquired wealth, perhaps they could buy a small manse in the mountains near home. He let the passing waves beneath the bow hypnotise him. When the captain returned with a large cup of hot tea.

 I would suggest you find a comfortable spot below, the sea is beginning to churn again and you will want to be in a spot your ready to sleep in after you finish that cup.  

 As he made his way below, he thanked the captain again for his kindness.  

Back in his cabin Laying back on his straw mat his eyes became heavy after only half of the tea was gone.  He wondered why he not started drinking the poppy at the very beginning of his journey. That surely would have been more pleasant. He could feel the boat begin to rock again. However the tea made him not really care. He drifted off thinking of seeing his wife's lovely face again and that of his children..  When he woke up the next morning, he was blind.

November 01, 2019 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.