4 comments

Fiction Funny Historical Fiction

   “Miss,” 

   Nancy looked up to see a tall woman in a blue jacket with the words, North Station embroidered on it in white. On her left side she wore a gold rectangle that said, ‘Ruth’.

   “Yes?” Nancy saw how Ruth looked at her.

   “Could I get you something to eat? A bag of chips? Some pretzels?” Ruth looked at Nancy very kindly.

   “Uhm… I’ll have some chips, thanks,” Nancy kept her stare on the green emerald eyes.

   “Alrighty!” Ruth hands her a bag of chips and smiles. “Have an amazing trip!”

   Nancy looks at the bag of chips and sees that there is a note taped on the back of the chip bag. The note read, “Meet me in the food cart. Something I must tell you.”

   Nancy looks around her. ‘I guess I gotta go to the food cart…” Nancy thought about this and then remembered how hungry she was.

   As she made her way to the food cart she heard people chatting and laughing. She walks into the food cart and instantly a pleasant aroma fills her nose. ‘Bacon,’ She thought. She sits down and picks up the plasticy feeling menu and looks at the meats.

   After a while, she started to wonder if this was a prank. No one had showed up, and she had finished her food five minutes ago. Then she sees Ruth walking up to her.

   “Sorry it took so long, people really like pretzels I guess,” Ruth looked at Nancy. Ruth leans over and whispers in Nancy's ear, “Did I hear those two men correctly? Were they speaking German?” Nancy nods and looks at Ruth’s deep green eyes. Ruth smelt of an old, damp smell.

   “Yes, they were. They said, “Tonight, eight cars,” that’s all I could translate.” Ruth looked horrified.

   “Those were their exact words?”

   “Yup,” Ruth sounded so scared, while Nancy acted so calm. “What’s wrong?” Nancy asks.

   “What did the men look like?” Ruth asks, avoiding the question.

   “They wore all black and had a brown suitcase,” Nancy started to get worried just because how scared Ruth was.

   “Alright, that’s enough information. Thank you,” Her voice trailed off.

   “Nancy. Nancy Dale.” 

   “Thank you Nancy,” Ruth said. “Now I want you to warn everyone on the train that there are two maniacs on the train and that everyone should stay alert.”

   “WHAT?! MANIACS?!”

   “Keep your voice down,” Ruth said in a soft whisper. “Just do what I ask, please, everyone on this train is in great danger.”

   Nancy stands up, pushes in her chair, and starts off. 

   …………………………………………………………….

   A while later, Nancy didn’t feel safe anymore. She had warned everyone like Ruth had asked, but something didn’t feel right. How did Ruth know that they were maniacs? Why did she ask me? Suddenly, Nancy felt uncomfortable. The soft, Cotton filled seats now felt like knives stabbing her back. She shifted her body to the other side and frowned.

   Nancy looks at her, half open bag of chips. She was no longer hungry. She listened to what the men were saying. Nothing. She could not hear anything. She looks at the seat in front of her. She then remembers her family. Oh how she missed her family. She wanted to give them huge hugs and tell them that she was ok. But she couldn’t. She was on a train with two maniacs. Sigh. 

   A sudden BOOM and movement of the train startles her. She stands up. The Germans were gone! She runs to the front of the train and sees that there is someone that got shot in the arm. She runs over to them and opens her bag. The man was yelling in pain. She gets her wound cleaner out.

     “It’s gonna sting!” She pours the cleaner onto the man’s arm. He screams loudly. Alcohol fills her nose and she makes a gross face. It smelt horrible. Her hands get sticky while her ears ring because of the screaming. She takes a bandage and wraps it around his arm.

      “There,”

      The man looks up at Nancy.

      “Thank you so much!” He smiles.

       “Of course, now, is anyone else hurt?”

       People shake their heads. Nancy then asks, “what cart is this?”

       “Cart eight.” A woman in a blue dress says.

       Nancy’s eyes widened.

       “Did you see who did it?”

       “Two men in black with a brown case.” The man responds. Nancy’s eyes widen into two round, terrified circles. 

   “Thank you,” Nancy runs off to the seventh cart and sees the conductor laying on the ground, with a gun in his hand. It smelt of blood. Nancy saw the blood pouring from his head. Suaside? No. It was the Germans. Has to be. They made it look like it was suaside. She snarls and walks further up the train. She sees Ruth helping an elderly man get into a seat. She brushed past Ruth and runs to the front car.

    The two men were driving the train! She looks at them and they look at each other and speak German. She could only make out, “Who she? Kill? No.” They look at each other and keep driving the train. She takes a gun off the floor. She cocks it and says,

   “Put your hands up Germans!” 

   They turn and see her with the gun. They put their hands up and drop their guns. She looks at them. “You stay right here!” She yells, “SOMEONE! PLEASE COME UP HERE!” Ruth runs in the room. She gasps.

    “Bothers! Why would you do this!?”

Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof OoofOoof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof Ooof

February 04, 2021 19:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

TJ Squared
19:28 Mar 03, 2021

woah. the ending caught me a little off guard, and questions kept popping in my head like "What? They are on a train? Why was Nancy alone? They serve you food on the train? Is that allowed? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???" You are so good a writing suspense and great cliffhangers YES I WANNA SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Reply

12:51 Mar 04, 2021

Yay! I’m so happy to hear that! I’ll write more soon!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:19 Mar 04, 2021

:)))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:29 Feb 05, 2021

Please comment and like if you want to see what happens next

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.