0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Friendship

There was this guy and this girl that lived in apartments that were in the same building. The problem at that time was, that they hardly knew each other. He was a simpleton and apparently she was too.


One day, as she was coming home from Grocery shopping, she had two big brown Grocery bags in her arms. Suddenly, she bumped into a very handsome man.


It coincidentally was the same young man. It was a pretty hard thump, she was moving at a fast speed and so was he.


Her grocery bags were now all over the street, and he rushed to pick up an orange that rolled all the way to the middle of the road. Once they had picked up all the items that had fallen out of her bag, they were smiling at each other sheepishly.


He looked at her... She looked at him. He saw that she had baby blue eyes. She saw that his lips were indeed pink. They parted ways.


One day the young woman, who was called Simone was in her room. She was busy doing things around the house. She decided to call a friend.


The friend was called Jennifer and they had a long and hearty conversation. The conversation was mostly about the cute guy that she bumped into on the way home from the Grocery store.


"His eyes were so blue." Simone told her friend.

"Wow!" Jennifer said.


They talked about the cute guy, and then discussed topics related to the weather, about their favourite baseball game, and about how the two of them loved their jobs.


Then Simone put the phone down, and got on with the rest of her day. Simone was busy doing things like washing dishes, mopping the floor, and finally cleaning the window panes. Suddenly she looked out the window and saw the cute guy. He was walking right into her building!


Simone picked up her phone and quickly called Jennifer on speed dial.


"You wont believe this but the cute guy is walking into the building"

she said with a hint of excitement in her voice.


"Oh great! Maybe he is trying to find you..." Jennifer said.


Simone was a very excited young lady! She decided to use some make up and got out of her sweatpants. Then she sat on the couch waiting for the bell to ring.


She was all prepped and primed to meet the cutie who bumped into her the other day on the way home from the grocery store. She waited, and waited, and waited!


The door bell did not seem to ring at all.


It seemed to take more than 20 minutes, but the door bell just did not ring! Simone decided to call up her friend Jennifer again.


"The cutie has not arrived yet" Simone said

"Maybe he lives in the same building" Jennifer said.


Simone was thrilled, and so happy to hear that the cute guy lived in the same building as she did. Suddenly she had an idea.


"Perhaps his apartment is the one on the floor below mine. There happens to be a guy that just moved in. Oh Jennifer, I am so happy, I got a guy to meet! If that is his apartment of course.


"Do you know that I have been sitting on the couch, staring at the wall clock for the past 30 minutes? I actually thought he would ring the bell."


The conversation ended there with them both laughing, since Jennifer was a little busy with something else. Simone wondered if knocking on his door was a good idea. She was not sure if it was him.


She went downstairs and knocked on the door hoping it really was the cute guy that lived there.


The door opened suddenly and there he was, looking as cute as ever and staring at her with his baby blue eyes. Suddenly he spoke.


"Hey you are the same cute girl I bumped into on the way to work!"

Simone pretended not to know. "I thought I would greet the new neighbour" she said.


"Come in" he said.


Simone was more than overjoyed when she entered the cute guys apartment. It was nicely decorated and he showed her the view of the city from his window.


Suddenly she did not quite realise that he was behind her. When she turned around he was standing really close to her and she could feel his breath. Weren't those the cutest pair of blue eyes he ever saw. He remembered them from their last encounter

with the grocery bags.


His name was Chuck and suddenly he had this nervous look on his face. He said suddenly "You have the nicest eyes I ever saw".


He had taken a step back, but now he turned around to face her. "Your lips are so sweet and pink" she replied.


Soon they were kissing, and doing a lot more than that. She felt like she had never felt a nicer cologne. They were now making out.


They were at it for an hour. He kissed her at the doorstep and she went back to her apartment. She decided to fix herself a snack and the noodles tasted really good, for some strange reason.


She decided to call up Jennifer.


"Hey, I just went to the cute guy's apartment."


"It really is his apartment...wow" Jennifer replied.


"yes, and we made out too!"


Jennifer did not respond the way she usually did. She seemed distant. Simone felt this in her voice and decided to keep the conversation short.


Simone went to Chuck's apartment the next day and they were talking on his comfy couch. When they were kissing, Simone admitted to Chuck that she thought her best friend was possibly jealous that she had finally found a boyfriend.


They were kissing a long time, Chuck was the most romantic lover. Simone went back to her apartment and saw a text from Jennifer.


"I AM JEALOUS." the message read.


Simone was wondering if Jennifer was being cute or was serious about what she had said. She decided to call her up.


"Hey Jennifer, how you doing? You jealous that I have a boyfriend?" she asked jokingly.


Jennifer then replied "Maybe." She clearly seemed to be in a strange mood, that Simone really couldn't get.


Simone kept the conversation short because she didn't want to lose her best friend. But she also didn't want to lose Chuck.


The next day Simone went to Chuck's apartment again and knocked on the door. When he opened it after about 10 minutes, Simone saw a girl sitting on his couch.


Simone wasn't exactly thrilled. Simone started to say things like "She is beautiful, enjoy your relationship guys, I tend to think its nice to have just one person at a time."


Simone went back home with a sense of calm, because she knew it was the modern world. Who was she to think she could have a committed relationship in a place like NYC?


She called up Jennifer again. Surprisingly she picked up the phone. "I am over Chuck" she said. "He has someone else..."


Jennifer was apparently thrilled that Simone was finally just like she was, a young single woman in the big city. Jennifer offered to come over to her place, and brought snacks as well. Simone and Jennifer talked into the wee hours of the next morning.


"I am so happy I did not fall head over heels in Love" Simone said.


"I think so too" Jennifer replied.


Simone was the grateful sort that liked to see the sense in everything. It somehow didn't seem to matter that Jennifer's text was like a warning sign.


"Jennifer did you know that before I knocked on Chucks door, I had a premonition about things not being the way they ought to be?"


"That is why It was easier to forgive him in my head at least..."


Girls after all are a bit of a warning. Are you saying that you are happy I was jealous of you coz I knew you had a boyfriend?"


"Maybe"


They both dug into the bucket of popcorn on the table and laughed and joked the whole night. She was so happy about Jealousy having a positive side for once. They were friends forever by the way!



















August 02, 2022 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.