BRO!!!

Submitted into Contest #29 in response to: Write a story about two best friends. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

"BROOOOOO!" James shouted. "That was so lit!"

Sean shook water out of his eyes, face gleaming. "It was?"

"You're like- a total natural bro!"

Sean blushed. "Aw, bro, it's really all your doing. You taught me how to surf."

"Yeah," said James, "but it's real skill you've got, bro, that's why you're so good."

"You're making me blush, bro."

James laughed and splashed Sean with a hand full of sea water. Sean spit out a mouthful of water and laughed.

"Look!" Sean said suddenly, pointing over James' shoulder. "What's that?"

James spun around. The sun glittered peacefully off the water. "I don't see--" he began. Then he was hit side-on by the water Sean pushed at him.

"Bro!" James yelled reproachfully, trying to snort water out of his nose. "Not cool!"

Sean was laughing. James shoved a wave at him. Sean stopped laughing and dove at James with a gleam in his eye. For a good minute the water around them churned as if by some great propeller. The surfboards drifted lazily toward shore.

"Bro," James gasped. "I need to catch my breath."

"Me too bro."

They stood in the shallows panting.

"Hey," said Sean. "Where'd the boards go?"

James scanned the horizon. He didn't see them. The sun glinting off the water made it hard to see.

"Oh! Bro, there!"

Sean gestured out to the left with his other hand shading his eye. "A seagull's sitting on them."

James peered where Sean was pointing. "It is, huh? Let's go get our boards back, bro. That bird doesn't get to keep them."

James and Sean started splashing their way over to the bird and the boards. "BRO!!" Sean suddenly yelled. "There's something on my leg!"

"Oh no!" James gasped. "Pull it up, quick!"

Sean pulled his leg out of the water, only he was a little too vigorous and fell over backward. He began to flail, splashing James with water and making it difficult for James to help him up.

"Bro stay calm, I got-" then James got water in his eye. "MY EYYYYEEEEE!" James yelled, and fell over too. Sean's hand smacked him upside the head. James's foot connected with Sean's thigh. Sean accidentally touched James's butt. James' hit Sean in the crotch. That, finally, stopped their thrashing.

"OooOOOOhHH!" Sean moaned.

"Bro, I'm so sorry!"

Sean smiled weakly. "It's okay bro."

"What was on your leg."

Gingerly Sean reached down and pulled out a bunch of seaweed. "It's only seaweed, bro!"

James nodded sagely. "It sure caused a lot of trouble though.

"Give it the toss?"

"Give it the toss."

Sean gripped the seaweed and threw it as far from him as he could. It landed a few meters away with an unhappy splash.

"Now," said Sean, wiping his hands in a professional manner. "Let's go get those boards."

They crept towards the bird as silently as possible. The seagull stared around haughtily, like a king surveying its kingdom. It hadn't yet noticed Sean and James. James stealthily grabbed the end of one board. Sean grabbed the other.

"Give it the toss?" whispered Sean.

"Give it the toss!" whispered James.

"Three, two, one."

Both boys yanked on their board, whooping wildly. The bird jerked violently into the air and flew away like it's life depended on it. Sean and James watched it happily.

"Oh bro," Sean said. "What would my world be without you?"

"Bro, I could not even fathom that," James said.

The sun danced some more.

"Should we have another go at it bro?" asked James, pulling his board under his armpit.

"Bro! Yes!" Sean armpitted his board too. "Lead the way."

Happily, without another care in the world, the boys wandered deeper into the surf.

February 21, 2020 04:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.