1 comment

General

Exquisite, was the only way to describe such a beautiful view. The dark sky was blanketed in many billions of stars. Each glistening to remind you of how insignificant you are in the grand scheme of the universe.

Her toes dug into the sand as she adjusted with a blanket wrapped around her. This spot on the beach was the furthest away from the restaurants, hotels and bars. If you looked to the right, you could see the lights in the distance, but you couldn’t hear the music. To the left there was nothing but darkness and the little bit of light you got from the moon. Summer was drawing to a close and these nightly walks to see the stars were going to become a memory until the warm weather returns.

Since she was a child the stars were what calmed her stress. The more anxious, the more she longed to have these quiet moments to herself to comfort her, which was becoming a nightly routine. She had become in somewhat of a trance like state staring at them. So much so that she never heard him walking up behind her.

“Are you looking for your astrological sign? That’s what most people do when they stare at the stars so intently. That or the big dipper.”

She jumped at the unexpected sound of a man’s deep voice. “Um…oh no…I’m just looking.”

Right after the words left her mouth, she realized that she sounded like she was talking to a sales rep in a store. Talking to a man has never been her strong suit. Hence the reason why her mother continues to try and set her up on blind dates.

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to disturb you.” He said as he went to stand by the water.

She tried to recover from that state she was in, “You…you didn’t I’m just enjoying the view.”

Just then she realized that she was talking to a man who didn’t appear to be much older than she was. Of course, even with the stars shining brightly, and the light from the half moon tonight, it was difficult to see exactly what he looked like.

“That’s good, I didn’t want to scare you off. It’s rare that I come to this side of the beach. But with the stars shining so beautifully tonight I just kept walking.”

Now she felt obligated to stay even though she considered leaving a second ago. So, she just sat there as he spoke, with his back still turned towards her.

“I’m an astrologist. So, the stars are my life, but it’s been awhile since I’ve stared at them this long without a telescope. Something just compelled me to keep looking.”

At this point she felt as though it would be rude not to reply.

“Yeah they sure are gorgeous tonight. An astrologist huh? I’m an artist, well in particular my medium is paint. I haven’t had much inspiration lately though, so I’ve been here every night hoping to find some.”

He turned around then and took a step towards where she was sitting. “My name is Luke, and you are?”

She hesitated but only for a second, something about the way she could feel his eyes on her made her blush. With him standing away from her it was even harder to make out any features.

“My name is Vega.”

As soon as she said it, she knew how easy it would be to determine if he was being truthful about his profession. When she was young her parents told her the significance of her name. It is named after the ‘Harp Star’, or in other words the fifth on the list of the brightest stars. If he were truthful, he would know this.

“Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. What a name to be honored with. To be named after a star must feel wonderful.”

“Most of the time it doesn’t feel much different then I’m sure your name feels to you.”

“That brings sadness to my heart to hear.”

This man spoke so smoothly and intelligently. Each word came out sounding like satin. She felt confused on how to respond to this remark. As Luke walked closer to her, it appeared as though he was going to leave but instead, he just stood there.

“Do you mind if I sit with you?”

She wanted to say that she minded but the words wouldn’t come out instead she just stared. The features that she could make out with him standing in a closer proximity, proved that he was as handsome as his voice.

“I’ll take that it’s OK?”

Trying to snap out of the trance she was in, staring at someone who was able to draw her attention away from the night sky, Vega nodded.

He sat a full arm length away, as to not invade her personal space. “Inspiration is what you’re looking for you said?”

The lump in her throat finally cleared as she blushed and looked away. “Yes.”

“And this view isn’t helping?”

“I could never blame the lack of inspiration on anything but myself.” Vega said more honestly than she expected.

“You sound very negative towards yourself.” Luke said it more like a statement than a question.

“Oh, uh I don’t try to be.”

“For such a beautiful woman, sitting here by herself basking in the moonlight. I didn’t expect you to be so mysterious when I walked up.”

It took a second for her to realize that he was just being sarcastic about the mysterious part and trying to lighten the mood. Once he laughed, she joined in. The sound of his laughter sent goose bumps up her arms. She didn’t know why she was acting this way but even his cologne smelled intoxicating. Vega realized that she was acting a little crazy, so she contemplated just leaving.

 “Thank you for calling me beautiful but based on the lack of a full moon you don’t know how I really look. I could look far less beautiful than you think.”

“I don’t believe that.”

“Well I probably should…” Vega started to say but Luke interrupted her.

“So out of curiosity, how would you describe yourself?”

She stood up almost stumbling. “That’s a little personal don’t you think?”

He reached out trying to help but then pulled his hand back as she regained her composure. “I’m sorry, I’m just a straightforward person, I apologize if I’m being too forward.”

“I have to go now.”

He took a step towards her where they were almost touching. The closeness sent her body into overdrive. Why was she so attracted to a man she didn’t know? Who came out of nowhere? Being in front of him, she noticed that he had dark hair, is a few inches taller than her and well built. From what she could tell, he was hot. And she was…just a woman named Vega and nothing special, in her eyes. He intimidated her because of how attractive he was and how unattractive she felt with her black hair, brown eyes, and fair complexion.

“I understand, it was nice meeting you Vega.”

When Luke stuck out his hand to shake hers, she was afraid she would do something crazy. Just the thought of their skin touching was sending her senses into a frenzy. Just then her body moved before her mind did and she kissed him instead. Vega realized that it had been awhile since she kissed anyone but to be this anxious to kiss an almost stranger was shocking to her.

The kiss got heavy quick. Luke seemed hesitant at first, but he soon was overtaken by the sheer pleasure of her lips on his that he couldn’t help himself. It had been awhile for him as well, years even. No relationships, nothing, but he was attracted to her in just their short moment together. Her voice made his heart race the second he heard it and when she said her name, he felt like fate had brought him down to this dark side of the beach.

During the most amazing kiss she has ever had she had dropped the blanket and his warm arms wrapped around her slightly exposed waist, as her arms wrapped around his neck. Their tongues mingled together in a way that sent a shock through her body. Whatever cologne he wore filled her nose and aroused her to a point where she thought she might not recover. As their breathing picked up, she let go only long enough to take her shirt off and him to remove his.

Out of nature for her was an understatement, she never considered doing something like this but there was just something about him. As he ran his tongue down her neck and started sucking gently in such an amazing spot, she reached for the button on his what she felt were jeans.

Luke pulled away only slightly, “Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe we should stop and go get a drink or something. I’m not normally this kind of guy.”

“Neither am I, uh this kind of…woman, I mean.” They were both out of breath.

“Do you want to stop?” He asked.

    “No.” She said honestly.

    “Me either.” he said right before he grabbed her and kissed her again.

     The passion was fierce and intense. They removed the rest of each other’s clothes and felt every curve that was exposed. When she felt the most sensitive area on his body, she almost moaned at the pleasure it gave her. As he enjoyed the feelings of arousal that came from her concentration, he made sure to compliment his moans with the sounds of hers from finding the curves of her chest.

     They practically fell to the ground, still wrapped in each other’s arms. The blanket was quickly placed, and he climbed on top of her adjusting into the best position. Her legs came up around him and he moved faster and faster to the cries that came out of the mystery woman’s mouth. When they both let out, what can only be described as an intense, yet incredible sound of release, they collapsed next to each other.

She laid on his arm and they fell asleep wrapped in a blanket under the stars.

A couple weeks later they decided to go back as what you might call a new couple, but they felt more like lost souls that found each other. The moon was full, the stars shining bright again and it was a night to be remembered as summer was gone, fall has begun, and fate had brought them together.

May 02, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ruth Porritt
07:05 May 08, 2020

Hello Tiffany, I enjoyed this story. I love reading romances, (my husband complains that I buy a bunch of them on holidays, even when I have a Kindle) and I am not naturally good at writing sex scenes. So, anyway, I admire authors that do them well. (LOL, I have read many poorly written sex scenes, and I am relieved that you write these well.) Thanks, and more later, Ruth

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.