77 comments

Drama American Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Mention of sexual abuse, incest

***


“With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage…”


I scan the cross-stitched words in the examination room of my clinic, framed in gold and screaming at me in scarlet thread, as I feel the prickle of what feels like a thousand knives at my throat. Five years ago, as I walked across the stage of a packed auditorium to receive a diploma from the medical school and a shiny new prefix to attach to my name. I pronounced these very words, The Hippocratic Oath. To this very day, I am bound to this promise I made, swear to never use the scalpel I wield to cut the patients under my care unless absolutely necessary for their health.


However, how exactly do you define what is crucial for someone’s well-being? What if what is needed to prevent hurt means violating one part of the oath I swore by? What if….


“Doctor Blackwell?”


I glance at my assistant Amanda peering at me from the door. From my seat, I see her hazel eyes streaked with red veins. She’s gripping her scrubs so tightly that I see her knuckles turn white.


“Yes, Amanda?”


“Well, you asked me to see if there are any available tickets for flights to LA…”


“Oh, but of course,” I reply. I try to make my voice sound as sure as possible, as if I’m making the first incision during surgery. However, it cracks, betraying the fact that my throat feels like a knife had scraped it, that I had shed tears about this very decision the night before.


“Well, there are two seats available on the 8:30 am flight tomorrow,” Amanda states. She stares into my steel grey eyes before continuing.


“So, shall I book them, Dr. Blackwell?”


I gulp. It’s a question as simple as “What is the colour of blood when it oozes out?” Yet, at this moment, my heart races and my head feels like it’s being stabbed multiple times. I know that my response would cleave two different paths for me, that this is the sharp knifepoint that has the potential to be plunged in my back if it goes wrong.


If I could distil all of my work as an obstetrician and gynaecologist in a single statement, it would be this: I am not only the medical professional that oversees my patients’ procedures; I’m also a witness to their tears.


 Countless of times already, I’ve cut through skin, muscle, and organs to bring a baby to life and hear their first cry. Of course, it usually isn’t just the new-born sobbing in moments like this; as soon as their child is placed into their arms, couples usually couldn’t help but be taken to tears, their sniffling cutting through the still, sterile operating theatre. I hear them whisper wishes through the flood coming from their eyes as their newly arrived child coos at their mother’s chest.


However, those aren’t the only type of tears I’ve been witness to. It’s also up to me to hold couples’ hands if ever life cuts them and they lose their baby prematurely; as the most bitter of sobs escapes from their lungs, I’m there to comfort them, to try to remove the pain from the invisible dagger in their heart as best as I could. It always feels as if I’m being bludgeoned every single time I have to break the news that a woman has miscarried. Oftentimes, I too end up crying after one of these appointments, but I know I have to hold back my own weeping and be a source of strength to the person whose medical care I’ve been entrusted.


Then, of course, there are the sobs of relief. I’ve celebrated with countless patients when they’ve rung the bell after a round of cancer treatment, their tears soaking into my scrubs. When a test comes back negative for the Big C, I’m there to hug them as their bodies quake and their eyes open the floodgates. If only they know that their physician sheds tears of joy along with them, that their victory from disease feels as if it were mine.


In my five years of treating women, these moments of crying have become familiar to me. So, when a panel of men who do not have medical degrees, who have never had to ensure a tearful patient continues to live, made a decision in 2022 to cut off what could be a lifeline for thousands, I could not help feeling as if my limbs were being hacked apart from my body with a saw. Of course, they wouldn’t understand. Of course, it isn’t them that had to be there, all ears, as the worst wails of desperation pierced the air.


Seventeen year-old Gwen entered my clinic one night, an emaciated thing trembling like a leaf in her t-shirt and bloodstained shorts. Her large ocean blue eyes and blonde curls were apparently a gift from her late mother, and, unfortunately for her, that was all her father thought about every time he dragged her to his room, locked the door, and released his alcohol-fuelled longing for his dead partner out on his daughter. She had already endured four years of molestation by the time her best friend Kelly found out, helped Gwen escape the house through an open window, and sat next to her in the waiting room of my practice. I sighed when I saw how deep the lacerations on her intimate area were, marks of her father’s abuse towards the girl he was supposed to protect. Sadly, that night, we discovered that those weren’t the only souvenirs of these forced encounters.


I know what the law states. If authorities were to find out that I helped a weeping, terrified teenager get rid of an embryo conceived in tears, I would lose my medical license, be severed from my right to help hundreds of women who trust me to aid them in getting better. I may even end up in jail, deprived of liberty because, according to them, I’m robbing someone of a life.


But am I, really ? Is the life of a minor thrust into an unfortunate situation worth less simply because her ovaries decided to release an egg at the wrong time? Should Gwen be forced to birth a reminder of her trauma, no longer have a shot at the normal, worry-free life she was supposed to have?


I stare at the words of the promise I made five years ago, and the answer is clear. I am a doctor. It is my duty to prevent hurt. It is my duty not to prolong harm.


“Amanda, yes, go ahead and book them under Gwen and Kelly’s names please. I'll be the one to call Dr. Salvador in Cedars-Sinai. She's my friend from medical school, after all.”


I feel a peace cut through my heart as a flow of warm, happy tears fall from my eyes. No matter what happens, I'm content knowing I stayed true to the very same oath I cried in a packed auditorium five years ago, the very same one I promise to always uphold.

March 11, 2024 05:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

77 comments

Corey Melin
21:09 Mar 13, 2024

Very well done. The story flowed so well that it was easy to just float along and enjoy the tale. There are smiles but also sadness. Then the ugliness of life when it comes to being a doctor. The difficulties of life we must strive to extinguish as much as possible in a fallen world. Good read

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:07 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Corey ! Glad it flowed well for you. Indeed, it's a rough job because, essentially, you're treating people with their own stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angelica Sophia
17:27 Mar 13, 2024

Great story, wonderfully written. There's an 1800s, Jane Austenesque quality to your writing voice that I greatly enjoy. Also, thanks for having the courage to write a story about an important women's health issue.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:15 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Angelica. I happen to live in the only country in the world that still hadn't legalised abortion yet. So when I heard the overturn, I asked "Why?". I love how you put it. Jane Austen-esque. I love her novels. I remember how I wanted to be Marianne Dashwood (from Sense and Sensibility) when I was a teen, so it's an honour. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Murray Burns
15:24 Mar 13, 2024

Gripping. A nice portrayal of the emotions of the doctor felt in the regular course of their practice... and when confronting the issue faced by Gwen. Your description of the tears...both of sadness and joy... were really well done. I immediately thought of an old neighbor of mine. He was a family doctor who took some hours at the Emergency Room... which sometimes involved delivering babies. One night he had a really difficult delivery- the baby came very close to dying but did survive. Even with a happy ending, he said it was so emotionall...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:42 Mar 13, 2024

Wow ! Thank you so much, Murray ! Some of my good friends are doctors (and one of them is also an obstetrician-gynaecologist). So, I drew a bit on that. I have tremendous respect for them. Plus, well, their scalpels have literally saved my life twice already, so I also am very grateful to them. I can just imagine how emotionally taxing their work is. Very happy you appreciated this. Your comments about the descriptions mean so much. Thank you !

Reply

Murray Burns
16:03 Mar 13, 2024

Saved your life? Yikes! I'm glad you're still around!!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:10 Mar 13, 2024

Yes, let's just say tumours and intestinal adhesions are terrible. Hahaha ! Thanks, Murray.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:42 Mar 13, 2024

Wow ! Thank you so much, Murray ! Some of my good friends are doctors (and one of them is also an obstetrician-gynaecologist). So, I drew a bit on that. I have tremendous respect for them. Plus, well, their scalpels have literally saved my life twice already, so I also am very grateful to them. I can just imagine how emotionally taxing their work is. Very happy you appreciated this. Your comments about the descriptions mean so much. Thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Lexxi Blu
15:17 Mar 13, 2024

This was phenomenal. Thank you for sharing a view on such an important topic.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:43 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Lexxi ! Like I said, I had a hard time deciding what to write about, but once I started on this, I knew I had to do it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:19 Mar 13, 2024

A heartbreaking and meaningful read, Stella. So hard when decisions are made by those who do not understand the true situation, who do not have to deal with the reality. I love the fact you share the complexity of these awful experiences so well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:23 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen. I think that's the most heartbreaking part; a lot of times, these decisions are made by people who will never have to experience this or refuse to recognise all angles of an issue. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:38 Mar 13, 2024

The problem is they are not at the sharp end. I wonder if that has always been the case?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:42 Mar 13, 2024

Very good question. What I do know is that I live in the only country where abortion is illegal in all cases (including when pregnancy is a risk to the mother's health, incest, or sexual abuse). Guess what ? It still happens; they're just not safe ones.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
20:46 Mar 12, 2024

You’re a wonder with prompts, Stella. Coming from the UK I struggle with the politics here, women’s rights are a topic close to so many of our hearts. You approached this with humility and understanding, with a calmness yet am emotionally stirring voice. Thank you for choosing a tough subject, it’s so brave to speak out ♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:12 Mar 12, 2024

Wow ! Thank you so much, Claire ! Like I said in other comments, I actually had no clue what to write about when I saw the prompts this week. Then, the idea of someone making a controversial decision in order to help another came to me. I think with what has happened in the US and (conversely) France enshrining this right to choice in the constitution, this really was the first topic that came to mind once I decided on the two paths prompt. Oh, and my country still remains the only country where abortion is completely illegal... including t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karla S. Bryant
01:52 Mar 12, 2024

Such a powerful story and deep, excellent use of the prompt. You wrote about a highly sensitive topic with compassion coupled with the reality many are facing today. Wonderfully written!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:20 Mar 12, 2024

Thank you so much, Karla ! I must admit that I had difficulty choosing what to write, but I'm glad it worked out. Indeed, this is a very real topic for many women. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:30 Mar 11, 2024

Great story. I love anything that can be considered controversial. Good writing should ask hard questions.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:21 Mar 11, 2024

I love that. Good writing should answer the hard questions. I'm just very happy it turned out well, especially considering, I had a hard time deciding what to write. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading, Natasha. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:11 Mar 11, 2024

Way to go! EVERYBODY should have a CHOICE. Whether they opt for adoption or abortion. Everybody should have that choice. It's not up to anyone else! Thank you so much for tackling the difficult topic. Wish I could give you more than one thumbs up!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:19 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy ! Like I told Hannah, I actually didn't know what to write this week. I'm not that into the betrayal plot point in my stories. Haha ! Then, the idea came to me about writing about a character that wants to help someone even if it's might cost them something. And it is true. Everyone should have a choice, especially someone like Gwen who was robbed of them from an early age. Thanks for reading, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:35 Mar 11, 2024

I know what you mean about this week's prompts - they're murder! (Absolutely no pun intended!) :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:26 Mar 11, 2024

Adoption is life saving, also.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:07 Mar 11, 2024

It is. But as Dr. Blackwell said, why should a minor, not even out of her teens, who had to endure four years of trauma, again have to relive it when she gives birth ?

Reply

LeeAnn Hively
21:14 Mar 19, 2024

She shouldn't. It's really that simple. I love being a mother, and if motherhood were the only things I accomplished in this life, I feel I chose well. But that's the important word...CHOSE. To have a child who has had something incredibly invasive inside her repeatedly, it's cruel to force her to carry yet another invasion of her body and to feel it growing and moving inside her. How horrific to not allow her the choice of what she can tolerate after years of having no choice over her body at all. It's telling her that her body has never be...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ananya Voss
17:05 Mar 11, 2024

sSensitively and deftly handled. Great writing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:56 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Anaya !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
13:04 Mar 18, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:14 Mar 18, 2024

Hi ! I'm not entirely sure. I suppose people have to go to your profile to see your stories.

Reply

Unknown User
13:33 Mar 18, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
13:49 Mar 18, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
14:25 Mar 13, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:36 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you, Dustin ! Well, like I said in other comments, I actually had a hard time deciding what to write this week. Hahaha ! I'm just happy it worked out. Glad you thought well of this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.