The Queen's Gala

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Fantasy Romance

I pulled the dress over my head and slid my arms through. It settled onto my shoulders comfortably and flowed outward. The gown was made of fine silk. The sleeves went just below my elbows. It was tight around my waist and then fell down to my feet. The dress was a deep shade of magenta that contrasted my blonde hair beautifully.

My hair was done in beautiful curls. My bangs were pulled backwards by a majestic silver headband decorated with sparkling crystals. 

I slid my ring over my right third-finger. The band of silver reflected the light and the diamond in the center shimmered. 

When I looked in the mirror my sparkling brown eyes flecked with gold stared back at me in nervous apprehension. 

I was preparing to attend the Queen’s Gala. As the princess. But I wasn’t born a princess. My mother had met the King of Venar and they had fallen in love. The King and my mother wed three months ago. The King had spent most of this time planning this gala to celebrate my mother. The whole kingdom was invited. And of course, I had to go. 

I slipped on my golden heels and opened the door. I walked down a small corridor lit by torches that lined the walls. The guards opened the huge double doors to the ballroom when they saw me approach. They bowed deeply as I walked by and I smiled uncomfortably. 

I walked quickly over to where my mother and stepfather were waiting. 

“Aurelia, there you are! They’re about to open the doors!” 

“Sorry mother,” I said. The King and I glanced at each other. Our eyes locked for a second and then we both quickly looked away. 

The three of us walked up onto the dais and the King gave the order to let the guests in. My stomach fluttered in excitement and fear. 

We continued to stand on the dais as each of the guests lined up and bowed (or curtsied) before us, then went to sit at one of the numerous tables that were arranged on the far left and right sides of the ballroom.  

When everyone had found their places the brass quintet began playing and people were free to mingle. I stood next to my mom and the king, bored, while they talked to important people.

Eventually I excused myself and walked around to find some food. I grabbed some pastries and a salad and sat down at an empty table. The tables were all covered with white cotton tablecloths with three candles and a vase of flowers as the centerpiece. 

I scanned the ballroom for him but didn’t see him. I let out a small sigh. I was both relieved and disappointed. I had been secretly meeting up with him for two months. At first it was just as friends but then it had developed into something more. But he was from a poor farming family. Now that I was a princess he wasn’t suitable for me. I couldn’t let my parents find out about him. But then again there were too many people here tonight for them to even notice him or me or what I was doing. 

I recognized a few people there but felt strange approaching them. I hadn’t seen most of them in months since I had moved into the castle. 

I was about to grab a drink when someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and there he was. 

“Is this seat taken, your majesty?” he asked in a joking, playful tone. I smiled shyly. 

“Not at all, kind sir,” I said and gestured to the seat next to me. I appreciated the fact that Cyrus didn’t treat me any differently. Most of my old friends felt awkward around me since I became a princess. 

Cyrus was tall and muscular. He stood at least eight centimeters above me. His hair was shaggy and swept to one side. It was a deep shade of chocolatey brown. His eyes were green with rings of blue throughout. His skin was tan but not dark. He had a comfortable, arrogant feel about him but I knew that on the inside he was kind and compassionate. 

Cyrus pulled the chair out and sat down. He grabbed a raspberry tart from my plate and popped it into his mouth. I laughed and smiled at him. He grabbed my hand underneath the table and placed a finger to his lips. I gave him a sly smile. 

“So… fancy place you got here…” he commented. 

I laughed again. Cyrus always knew how to make me laugh and smile. Somehow he had known I was feeling down today and was doing everything in his power to cheer me up. 

We ate and talked and laughed for about an hour. Most people steered clear of us for which I was glad. 

I was just about to get a drink when Cyrus stood up and held his hand out to me. 

“Would the fair lady honor me with a dance?” For the first time I noticed that the music had become a slow waltz. 

A placed my hand on his own. I watched his eyes glance at my ring; the one he had given me. He pulled me out of my seat and offered his arm. I placed my hand on his arm and smiled at him as he guided me towards the center of the ballroom where people were already starting to dance in pretty circles. 

Cyrus grabbed my left hand and put his right hand on my waist. I placed my right hand on his shoulder and we began to dance. 

I didn’t think of anything but the music, the movement of my feet, the way Cyrus steadily guided me through the dance around the beautiful tiled ballroom. My dress soared out around me in a circle when I spun around. My jewels caught the light of the torches and reflected around the room in a sparkle of beauty and fantasy. Nothing mattered but the music which was gradually speeding up and becoming lighthearted. I knew that my eyes were sparkling with joy because I could see my own emotion reflected back at me in Cyrus’ eyes. 

I moved closer to him as we danced. It felt as though no one in the world existed but us two. My breath caught in my throat when our eyes connected. 

All of the sudden the music stopped. I stopped dancing and looked at Cyrus in confusion. Most of the time at events like this the music never stopped unless someone of importance was speaking. He looked past me over my shoulder and his eyes widened in alarm. 

I turned around to follow his gaze and saw my parents standing there. Their gazes were cold and shocked. 

“M-mom! Your Majesty!” I said. I glanced around uneasily and saw everyone staring at us. They weren’t watching in fear or anger but excitement and interest as though the four of us were some sort of play for their own enjoyment. 

Cyrus let go of my hand and it dropped to my side. 

“We need to speak with you,” my stepfather said. His voice was flat and cold but commanding nonetheless. Here was a man who was very used to people doing exactly what he said. 

Suddenly white hot anger filled my veins. This man had taken me from my life, had told me how to act and had forced me to accept that I had little to no choice in anything. I was not going to stand here and let him command me like I was some sort of servant.

“Whatever you have to say to me, you can say here,” I said and tried to keep my voice steady. Unease and surprise rippled through the crowd. I saw Cyrus look at me in alarm. I could tell he was trying to warn me to back down, but I didn’t want to listen to him. All the pent up emotion inside of me had chosen now to finally let loose and there was nothing I could or wanted to do to stop it. 

“Honey, why don’t we find a table to sit down and talk,” my mother’s voice was friendly but it was forced. I could tell and so could everyone else. 

I looked at Cyrus and then back at my parents. “Alright.” 

My parents led me and Cyrus towards a table in the back. Cyrus pulled out my chair for me while my stepfather did the same for my mother. The four of us sat down just as the music started again and everyone began to pretend that nothing had happened. 

My stepfather turned towards Cyrus first, who looked as though he was regretting every decision he’d ever made in his life that had led to this point. 

“You come from the Cormac family, correct?” the King asked him. Cyrus nodded.

“Uh— yes sir— your majesty.” 

“The Cormacs have been a very distinguished farming family for many generations,” my stepfather observed. Then his expression darkened and he got to the point. “However a princess is not fit to be with a farmer. They never have been and pray they never will be.” 

Father,” I snapped sarcastically. “You’re reading way too much into this. I met Cyrus when I went into town to buy some fabric a few months ago and we became friends. That dance was something fun and amusing between friends. You were the one who made a scene not us,” I said and waved my arm at the crowd. 

“I’m sorry Aurelia, but whether or not this boy is “just a friend” doesn’t matter. We will discuss that privately later. However, the fact of the matter is you can’t be seen dancing with a farmer boy.” 

“It’s not up to you,” I said and tried not to raise my voice. I could tell Cyrus wanted to talk to me, to tell me to let it go and calm down. I knew that I wasn't being fair to him. The worst that would happen to me is I’d be forced to stay in my room for a period of time. Cyrus could be punished far more severely. And yet I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't stop the flow of emotion that was rising up and preventing me from thinking straight. 

“It is up to me,” my stepfather snapped. “I am not only your king but your father and I have a right to say who you can or cannot dance with!” 

“You!” I stood up explosively and my chair fell over with a clatter. “You do not have any right to tell me what to do! You are not my father! No one even bothered to ask me if I wanted a stepfather! No one even bothered to ask me if I wanted to be a princess! No one even thought to consider the fact that maybe I want to be with the boy I love before you dragged me here!” 

My hand flew to my mouth and my eyes widened. I took a step backward and stumbled. Cyrus jumped out of his chair and reached out to steady me. 

The room was dead quiet. You could have heard a feather touch the floor. 

“Please your majesty,” Cyrus implored. “I’m sure Aurelia was just—” 

“Silence!” my stepfather shouted. His voice carried like the roar of a dragon through the silent room and echoed down the exposed corridors. 

Cyrus’ face had gone deathly white. I had never seen him like that before. He seemed to have shrunk so that he was insignificant and small and could shield himself from harm. 

“Father,” I said quietly and this time my voice was sincere. “I apologize for my outburst. It was wrong of me,” I continued and hung my head. “However I can assure you the dance was nothing more than some fun between friends. I understand now that this was not the time and place. Please allow the festivities to continue.” 

My father looked back and forth between the two of us and then nodded. “Of course. Let the gala commence!” 

“Thank you, father.” 

Cyrus bowed low and then walked quickly away to rejoin his mother and father. I watched him go with sadness in my heart but I didn’t stop him. 

The rest of the gala went by painfully slow. When I was finally able to return to my room I immediately took a bath and changed into my nightgown. 

I was just lifting the blankets of my bed to slide underneath them when I heard a knock on my window. I turned aournd and saw Cyrus standing outside. My bedroom was on the first floor so the bottom of the sill only went up to his waist. 

I hurried over and undid the latch. Cyrus waited while I pushed open the window and then leaned through the opening. 

“Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry! I was so stupid! I never should have done that we could have gotten in so much trouble! You could have—” 

“Aurelia, it’s okay,” he interrupted. 

“But don’t you want to… stop being with me?” I said and my voice quivered slightly. 

“Of course not! I’ve been thinking it through for hours and I finally know what to do! It’s the perfect plan really.” 

“What?” I asked eagerly. 

“I’m going to become a knight!” Cyrus exclaimed. 

“Huh?” I said, completely not following. “But I thought you always wanted to take over the farm after your father…” 

“If I become a knight I can be with you!” Cyrus told me. “Knights and princesses can be together. If I become a knight we can finally be together without hiding. Don’t you see? It’s perfect.” 

“I— You’d really do that?” I said and I felt tears begin to form in my eyes. 

Cyrus stood up straight and looked me in the eye. “Of course I would.” 

I leaned forward and rested my elbows on the window sill. “And you’re really not mad?” 

He leaned closer towards me and our eyes connected. “I’m not mad.” 

“I love you,” I whispered. 

“I love you too,” he whispered back. And then he cupped my cheek, leaned even closer and kissed me for the first time. 

All of the sudden I knew that everything was going to work out okay.

May 13, 2021 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jewel Robbins
22:35 May 19, 2021

This story was adorable and sweet! It reminded me of a fairy tale. Your descriptions are great. A few teeny suggestions: perhaps you could mention Cyrus a bit earlier. Perhaps while she's getting ready she wonders what he'll think of a certain detail or accessory? I also noticed a few areas where you tell us about him. It would be effective if you showed us instead: "Cyrus always knew how to make me laugh and smile." You don't need that line because he made her laugh a few times. "He had a comfortable, arrogant feel about him but I k...

Reply

Molly Sullivan
12:33 May 20, 2021

Thanks so much! Showing instead of telling is something I struggle with and tend to overlook a lot so thank you for the suggestions! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.