HELP WANTED

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

1 comment

Teens & Young Adult Friendship Happy

SECOND ANNUAL RIVER SHORE CLEAN-UP

VOULUNTTERS NEEDED (AGES 14-18)

SATURDAY APRIL 17TH, 10-2P

(lunch provided)

PLEASE CONTACT THJOHN SMITH YOUTH CENTER TO REGISTER

*COMMUNITY SERVICE CREDIT FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS

Hey Josh, Did you see the sign, for clean up at the river?

Yes I did, Jess do you want to go do it?

Well, I was thinking about it, I usually work Saturdays, but if I can get the day off, then I'd like to, would you?

Check with your boss and find out, I went last year and it was a lot of fun. They cater your lunch, the food was soo good, we had a big picnic, and it's easy. I met a bunch of people.. and girls too, he laughed.

Well that does sound cool, do we need to bring anything?

Nope, they supply the gloves, trash bags, and chain saws (incase any drift wood has to be cut). You might want to wear something you don't mind getting wet though, incase you accidentally get splashed, or something. The water is still kinda cold, but it's not bad. I woe my rubber hip waders last year and got all kinds of fishing line with hooks and stuff out of the rocks, along the waters edge.

Ok, I think I have a pair, I'll have to check. It says we get CS credit, for doing it. How does that work?

Each year, in order to graduate we need 4 hours of community service, our Junior, and 4 hours our Senior year. So they decided this was an easy project to get us out here for our credit, and they get the river cleaned up for the summer. They have you fill out a card, with your name, grade, and school, when you register. then on the day of the project, at the end of the day they stamp it. When you go back to school on Monday you give it to your Home Room teacher, and she'll turn it into the office for your files.

Wow! that's easy enough, I will definitely get with my boss to get the day off..

Okay, see you later, I gotta run some errands for my mom.

THE NEXT DAY AT JESSE'S WORK

Hi Sam!, I need to talk to you about taking a day off, it's in April, but I wanted to know if it's too soon do it now, or should I wait a few weeks?

Today would be fine, Jesse, you're one of my best workers, and have never asked for a day off, can I ask what you're going to do?

Sure, there's a clean-up down at the river, and we get credit towards graduation, for doing it. My buddy went last year, and said it was really fun. I don't normally like to take days off, cuz I don't get sick much, and I know Saturdays are the busiest. But this is for a very important cause.

No problem, Jess, consider it off, go have fun. I wish they'd done things like that when I was your age. This town sure has grown.

Yes sir, it has, thank you very much, I better be getting to work now, before the others think you play favorites, they laughed.

Great news Josh!, I talked to my boss and he gave me that day off, so count me in.

All Right! that is great news, it's a whole lot more fun to do things with people you know. I'll find out if anyone else is going, do you want to go grab some pizza from the Den?, there might be people there by now.

THEY DROVE DOWN THE STREET TO THE LOCAL PIZZA PLACE, AKA THE DEN,(WHERE ALL THEIR FRIENDS HUNG OUT)

This place is soo good, I love the buffet, I think that's what I'm gonna get, Jesse said, walking to their favorite booth, in the back.

Me too, Josh said, sliding in across from him.

Hi guys!, what can I get for y'all tonight?

We'd like two buffets and two Cokes, on separate tickets, Josh spoke up first.

You got it! I'll be right back with your plates, and drinks.

Thanks!

Hey Josh, Karen and Kelly's over there, let's go say "hi".

Sure

Hello ladies, how are you doing, tonight? Josh asked flirtingly.

They giggled and Kelly said, Hi Josh, Jess, What's up?

We just thought we'd come up and grab some pizza and see if anyone was hangin out tonight. It's pretty boring at the home stead.

Yea, Totally. That's why were here too.

Karen, are you going to the river clean- up this year? I was telling Jess how much fun it was last year, he got the day off, so we're both going.

That's awesome, I finally talked Kelly into it, she didn't want to get DIRTY.., but I told her it wasn't bad with gloves and boots on, she laughed. It's great we get credit for it too. The lunch was soo good, I wonder where it'll be from this year?

I don't know, but maybe Grinders from that new place down the road, Marcellies?.

Ooooh!!! that would be good, but that may be a bit costly, depending on how many volunteers show up.

Ahhhh, it's for a worthy cause, besides, they can write it off on taxes, they all laughed. And now ladies, if you'll excuse us we got some munching to do..

Ok, Josh it was good to see both of you, talk to you later. Enjoy your dinner.

Thanks, you too, see ya in school tomorrow.

Bye Jess.

THEY WENT OVER TO THEIR TABLE, TO FINISH EATING.

Oh, this was soo good! I'm stuffed...

Geeze Jess, I didn't think you were going to leave anyone else, Josh teased. Let's get the check and get outa here, it's getting late, he motioned to the waitress.

How was everything, tonight? Is there anything else I can get for y'all?

Nope, I think we're good, I think we better get the check before my friend here eats all your food, he laughed.

THEY BOTH PAID THE BILL AND LEFT A $5.00 TIP

Take care y'all, bye now!

Jess wake up! it's 9:30, and we have to be down by the river by 10a. No use takin a shower, you'll probably get dirty anyway.

Mmmm...I'm up, remind me to thank your dad again, for letting me use his hip waders, I have no clue where mine got to. I'm sure they'll come in handy today.

Yeh, I can't believe how bad the riverfront gets trashed out each year, I guess from the floods and storms, across the world, washes everything in here, to our little town.

The sun's out and it's gonna be a gorgeous day. Perfect weather for community service. Jesse smiled.

Agreed, Josh said.

January 13, 2021 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Donna Wayt
16:36 Feb 01, 2021

I have been so preoccupied! I'm really sorry I missed this ! I just love the casual dialect and the relatable. I just love this. It's an activity I have actually participated in. Great job Sheila!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.