0 comments

American Fantasy Adventure

      The Day of ESP

Suzanne Marsh

The squeaky little voice, a giggle, two little hands at the back of my head.

“What are you doing Regina?” She giggled once again:

“Looking for the eyes in the back of your head mommy.”

She was determined to find those eyes, she never could understand how I knew what she was doing, even though my back was turned to her. That was the moment we became a sentient family.

Mom was always impressive and impassioned when it came to keeping Regina out of trouble. Mom did a great deal of reading before she realized that she had a gift of ESP, and telepathy she could communicate her thoughts without say a word. Mom, at first thought she was more like her own mom who used to tell her she had eyes in the back of her head. Mom, took it one step further, when she learned about telepathy. We learned to communicate in complete silence.

I learned quickly how to communicate with mom, she did have that gift. I would clear my mind

then tell her about school. She would listen as she got dinner ready. We practiced this skill for a while. Then Regina, began to learn, the first time she communicated with mom was funny. Mom thought Regina, wasn’t ready to learn, she was eight. Regina, being Regina was more than ready. She wanted to go to the candy store, mom said no. Regina, tried twice more, same answer, NO. Regina, went outside, heading toward the candy store. Mom, used telepathy: “Regina, you turn around immediately, do you hear me. I told you no and that is what I meant.” Regina did a quick turn around and head back toward the house: “Mommy, I’m sorry.” That scared the living bejeebers out of mom, she did not think Regina could do that. We all learned that day.

` My brother, Chuck and our dad also had ESP, and telepathy. These gifts worked well. Mom would send dad a message and he would respond, Chuck would keep in touch more frequently since he was now a junior in high school.

As with most gifts we learned to use them to our full advantage. We also discovered by accident that all five of us had precognition, which meant we could also predict the future. We would sometimes volunteer to help find a missing person. The first time mom volunteered, she discovered she was actually searching for a lost dog! People have no idea what it is like to have these gifts, but we were learning.

Chuck graduated from high school the following June; then left for Yale to study law, I would follow two years later. Regina just turned twelve, when our family became involved with a horrible tragedy, that led to sweeping changes in the police department of High Valley.

That morning I opened the newspaper, finding to my horror that our neighbor, Mrs. Ada Twilliger, was found murdered in her home. This happened in other areas of the city but not ours, at least that was our reasoning at that juncture. I contacted the police to offer our help, we were told no, they did not use psychics nor did they ever expect to. I hung up disheartened, there had to be something the five of us could do to help find the murderer and bring he or she to justice. We needed an object that belonged to that lovely elderly woman. Once we had that we could determine who and why. Objects speak to us so that we can aid in finding people or those who hurt them.

Mrs. Twilliger, always had candy for Halloween, she would send over cookies for Christmas, how could she have been murdered in her own home. Without further ado, we began an investigation of our own. We knew it was only a matter of time before we discovered the truth. Late that night, I snuck into her house to look around, hopefully to find something that would help.

I let myself into that house of horrors, I was spellbound as I noted chains, bars on cellar windows, not to mention what looked like some sort of torture chamber. Who was this woman? Clearly someone I did not know. How could some sweet white-haired lady be a shrew who liked to torture either animals or people or both?

I went back home, I messaged my mom silently of what I had discovered. She replied, to get out of there and stay out of there. I did not question her I just went home. Somehow something did not feel right to me or the others. Dad, said it made no sense, my brother agreed with dad, Regina was the one who was most upset by my discovery. She kept saying she knew there was something that we were missing, the question remained what.

Three days later, mom’s cell phone rang, Detective Arnie Hammer asked to meet with us about the case. Mom told him to come over immediately. Hammer arrived ten minutes later. Mom, told me to tell him what I saw when I was in the house. The first thing Hammer wanted to know was why I had been inside the crime scene. I answered truthfully, my ESP told me check it out, so I did. I told him about the torture devices, for both human and animal. I heard an animal crying, a dog. Hammer shook his head in disbelief, he did not understand why I had gone there much less what I had found. I told him either she was not a harmless little old lady or there was someone who was hiding in the house doing vile things.

Detective Hammer moved quickly, he had police officers on the spot within ten minutes. They began searching the grounds. When they saw the basement, they realized that was where the murder had taken place. They also noted a pattern that seemed to indicate that the murderer was a transient. I had to disagree, that it was not a transient, I had no idea who it was but it was someone she knew. The detective decided that it would be best if he went back to headquarters, maybe there was something they had overlooked.

Hammer returned several hours later, the old woman had a son Magus. Strange that no one had ever mentioned him. We had lived here since our house was built in the early seventies. Why had no one ever seen this Magus? I waited until dark, then with my brother and dad, we entered the old woman’s house again. Suddenly there was a howl, more like a scream. A crash, came directly after that. We waited knowing that someone was down in the basement. We tried ESP to get Detective Hammer, it almost worked, but then my brother grabbed his cell phone, called. Hammer returned to the house. They began to search the rooms in the basement. The last door they came to was locked, Hammer asked dad to see why it was locked. Dad did, he turned pale, almost as if he were seeing a ghost. He told Hammer that it was Magus, that he was chained to the wall. Hammer broke into the room, Magus, was huddled against the wall, he was holding a picture of a beautiful, tempestuous woman: his Mother. Magus did not speak, he was mute. He was hungry since the old woman had not fed him in several days, since her death. We knew Magus was a victim of abuse, after he tried to speak gibberish, he apparently had no idea how to communicate.

In our world of ESP we attempted communication, Magus was scared to even try. We told him, everything was okay, the police were there to aid him. Mrs. Twilliger did not wish anyone to know about the hideous child she had bore. This was indeed the day of ESP, horror and unhappiness, all rolled into one poor soul Magus Twilliger.

February 28, 2024 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.