0 comments

Holiday

I, Elizabeth Leslie Lachey, Will Be Better and Braver in 2021!

I glared at the post-it note taped to my monitor. 

After a whole three hundred and sixty-four days, I only have fifteen hours thirty minutes to fulfill my New Year’s Resolution.

“I can’t believe we’re at work today,” Kate said.

Never-mind, ten hours and thirty minutes to make sure I am better and braver than I was last year.

I will do this. 

“Well,” I said my eyes swinging to her, “at least tomorrow is Saturday and we don’t have to work. We can party all night long. Are you going to Layla’s?” 

“Oh, yes.” She did a little happy dance. “I’ve been counting the minutes until this party.” 

“Me, too. Especially, since Layla and I live on the same block.” I looked around to make sure none of the senior partners were around. “I’m planning on getting,” I whispered, “white girl wasted! And then walk home.”

“Yasssss, girl. I’ll be there to hold your hair back if you need it.”

“Kate, I am a professional drinker. I’ve never been sick or had a hangover after a night of drinking in my life.”

She placed her elbows on the counter above my desk. “Teach me, oh wise one.”

I held out a bottle of Pedialyte. “Drink this throughout the day. Make sure you stay hydrated.” She took the bottle. “Make sure you nap during lunch instead of eating out. Last, we’ll stop at the diner and share a burger and fries before we go.”

“That’s a plan.”

I grinned and winked at her. “I love bringing in the New Year, but I refuse to be ruined the next day.”

“Girl, tell me about it. Oh! Before I forget, this belongs to Trenton.” She handed me the next case file, her brows wiggling suggestively. 

“Stop it! He doesn’t even know I exist. Hell, he calls me by the wrong name.”

“Maybe that’s your new year’s resolution! Help Trenton Montgomery, the third notice you.”

I snorted. “Why would I want that,” I hissed, “asshole to notice me?”

“Because...”

I know Kate explained why I should allow my tiny crush to explode into full-blown love, but my eyes—like a damn magnet—slipped to a tall, lean figure swaggering off the elevator. In his late twenties, he never disappointed when he walked into the office, cutting the distance between us in purposeful strides. I hate that he made me feel especially since he was a mother fucking asshole. Not your regular grade asshole, but the ones that they make movies about. The ones who miss a step and prayers go up for them to break a foot. 

As the main secretary for the last three years, I’ve witnessed at least once a week someone leaves his office in tears. 

Thankfully, I have evaded his wrath. 

So far.

However, my vagina didn’t care about him being a jerk. 

I interrupted. “Not in real life.” And not to a brown girl like me, I added silently. “Plus there’s a fraternizing clause in our contract.” 

 Kate shook her head, causing the long braided stands to sway. “No, there isn’t!” 

“Yes, there is.” I said to Kate, but my attention was on the man walking towards us. I squared my shoulders ready for battle, and said with a bright smile, “Good morning, Mr. Montgomery.”

“Elle, where are the case files I need?” he said, crossing his arms over his chest as glared down at me. 

“Elizabeth,” I mumbled under my breath.

“Excuse me?” A frown snapped between his brow.

Kill him with kindness. Kill him with kindness. Kill him with fucking kindness.

I handed him the three files I pulled plus the two that Kate gave me. Placing a fake ass smile on my face, I patiently said. “My name is Elizabeth, Mr. Montgomery.”

He glanced back and forth between me and the files, his eyes narrowing. “Elle,” he repeated, completely ignoring my name correction, “you didn’t go to the basement?”

I ground my teeth. “No, sir. But I will right now.”

Kate and I shared a look as he walked away.

“Oh and Elle?” he added without looking back.

“Yes, sir?”

“You’ll need a cart.”


٭٭٭

I was so annoyed. I wasn’t dressed to move boxes for this man who didn’t even know my fucking name. Since I planned on walking directly to the party after work, I wore a floral spaghetti strap dress with a snappy little jacket and black wedge boots. 

It took me four precious hours to pull and sort then load all the file boxes on to the cart.

 I didn’t care to freshen up or put on my jacket when I went back upstairs.

He didn’t deserve my professionalism.

I knocked on Trenton’s door, rolling my eyes at his gruff, “Enter.”

For a moment, I stood there. Staring. Like an idiot. Because he wore glasses. And coupled with the dark shadow that stubbled his sculpted jaw, his face would make most women whimper with lust. He really was too handsome for his own good. 

And apparently mine.

“Yes?” The stony stillness of his facial expression—that I normally saw—turned his lips up in what could only be a damn smirk.

I forced my gaze to the Midtown skyline behind his desk. “Mr. Montgomery, I have all the files.”

 “You can place them on the conference table.” 

“No problem,” I said with a strained laugh. I gritted my teeth and rolled my cart in deeper into his office. I heard him roll his seat back. 

“You need to stay late to help me go through the boxes.”

I stopped and tried to contain the smug smile I wanted to send his way. “I already sorted them by date.”

He swore under his breath. “By date?”

“Yes, sir. Salinger sent a memo. Aren’t you tracking the amount of phone calls to and from the CEO to his lawyer?”

I added another box to the other.

He groaned, and I looked over my shoulder at him.

“Did I do something wrong? You didn’t need that?”

His powerful stance, his folder covering his groin, a muscle flicked in his jaw.

“What did I do now?” I placed my hand on my hip trying to mask the exasperation and a sense of hopelessness.

He scrubbed a hand across his face. “Nothing. You did nothing that I can’t undo.”

Good luck with that. I started for the door.

“You will need to go back to the basement and pull more files.”

I took a deep breath, braced myself and turned around to confront him. I deliberately looked at my watch. “It’s four.”

“And?”

“And…I leave at five.”

“Not today. You made this mess; you will help clean it up.”

“My mess?” Attitude spewed from my mouth. How dare he! “How about you be more communicative about what you need.”

“If I’m to do your job, then why are you here?”

My face heated. I took a deep breath before I said anything I would regret. As I turned to escape, his commanding voice washed over me 

“You take off at five, come Monday, you won’t have a job.”

“What?” I stuttered. “Mr. Montgomery...It’s Friday.”

“And?”

“It’s New Years Eve.”

“I guess you have a major decision to make.” His phone rang. “Yes?” he barked. His green eyes glared at me. “You may go.”

A crimson haze surrounded my vision. I ignored the voice of caution growing louder by the second. 

“Why are you a fucking asshole?” 


٭٭٭


Shit! He made me cry.

Tears of anger and disappointment coursed down my cheeks unchecked. 

I loathed him.

Fucking HATED him. That asshole...

“Lizzie, are you down here?”  

I looked up to see Kate coming around the corner.

“Hey.” I wiped my tears.

“Are you crying? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good. It’s the dust irritating my eyes.” I lied.

“Do you need me to get your jacket and purse?”

“No. I’m so sorry, but I have to stay just a little longer.”

“What? But we have plans.” 

“Mister Montgomery asked me to work late.”

“He can’t do that.”

“Apparently, he can.” My chin trembled ever so slightly and I fought to control my emotions. “Don’t worry. Before you have your first drink, I’ll be there. Go have our burger with Jacob.”

“Are you sure?” she hesitated. “I can stay and help.”

“Nope! You go start the party. This shouldn’t take longer than an hour.” I gave her a big hug. “Get out of here. And have fun!”

“I would say the same thing, but…”

“Don’t worry about me,” I said, tears burning in the back of my throat. “I’ll be out of here before you know it.”

“Oh, Liz. I checked the clause. It’s only for the senior partner. Trenton is only a junior associate. You have a chance.” She winked. “Don’t waste it.”

Tears blurred my vision as I waved goodbye to my friend then got back to work.

Fuck him if he thinks he’ll take up all my night. 


٭٭٭


I wasn't ashamed to admit that I eavesdropped on Trenton’s conversation with our boss.

“Yes, sir…We are on it...I won’t let you down...We will not leave this office until everything has been completed...yes, sir.”

Trent hung up the phone. He ran both hands through his thick brown hair in agitation, ejecting himself from the chair. He turned to study the skyline, letting out a slow controlled breath. 

In my three years of working with Trenton Montgomery, the third, I’d never seen him look so defeated. 

Damn my compassion...and my heart. 

I knocked gently on the open door. I dropped off the latest box of files to Trenton’s desk.

He glanced over his shoulder at me, his face troubled.

“Thanks”

I slightly tilted my head and backed out of the office.

Accept the things I cannot control. I made another carafe of coffee, and then placed an order at my favorite pizzeria. Twenty minutes later, I walked back in with the pizza in hand and napkins. With my theme song on repeat in head: I got a new attitude, I said when he finally hung up. “So, I ordered pizza.”

He looked around his office, his posture screamed failure. “You don’t have to stay.”

“And not get overtime? Forget that. We have the super foods: pizza and coffee. We can knock this out together.”

He cleared his throat. “Elle, I am an asshole. I shouldn’t have taken the frustration I’m feeling about this case out on you. You didn’t deserve it.

I looked him in the eyes and said, “Apology accepted.”

“You forgive that easily?” He gingerly stood and cautiously walked over to me.

“Yeah. Life’s too short to hold a grudge.”

“I’ll try to remember that.” He stared at me for a moment before asking, “Is that the white sauce cheese pizza?”

I genuinely smiled this time placing the pizza on his conference table. “I remembered you liked that one.” I passed him a paper plate. “I was so mad the last time I bought for the whole office. I specifically ordered that pizza for me and didn’t have any. But I’ll never forget that you ate the last one.”

“Sorry not sorry, I like your taste in pizza.” We ate in companionable silence until he said, “I ruined your plans tonight.”

“Yes, you did. But the best part of the holidays is that they are a constant. They’ll be back next year.”

“Isn’t New Year’s your favorite?”

Shocked, my eyes large. He knew something about me. “It is. But I can celebrate it anywhere.”

“Why?”

I put my pizza down and crossed my legs. “It gives me hope. A sense of purpose. If I can only make it to the new year, I can start over. It’s a clean slate. An attempt to be braver than before, a chance to be closer to who we want to be.”

“I’ve never thought of it like that.” His green eyes searched my brown ones. “What were you going to do?”

“Just hangout with my friends and my sister.”

“No boyfriend?”

“I like that you’re not subtle...but no. No date or boyfriend. What about you?”

“No boyfriend.” He smirked.

I laughed. “Are you looking?”

“Not for a boyfriend.”

“A girlfriend?”

“Eventually. I have too much work.”

“I understand. I’m busy, too.”

“What do you do? Besides work here.”

“I help take care of my little sister—she’s in college. And I’m going to law school.”

“Where?”

“The University of Georgia.”

He whistled. “That’s a lot.”

“Yeah. I’m taking the longest route possible to get my law degree.”

“It’s not a race. You’ll finish when you’re finished.”

“I know...but I’m tired of school.”

“Yeah. Law school is a beast.”

“You went to the University of Chicago, right?”

“Yep.”

“I’m a little jealous. That’s an amazing school.”

“It is. One of the best in the country, but I chose it because I’m from Illinois. I’m from a little town right outside of Chicago. I had to stay with my parents and commute to school.”

“How did you end up in Atlanta?” 

“I had to get away from my parents. Living with them as an adult was close to hell. I love them and they helped minimize my debt, but damn…”

“Oh man can I relate! I lived on campus my freshman year, and at home the other three year. I said I’d rather go into serious debt than live with my parents after I graduated. Having freedom then being confined to their rules. Too much.”

“I need a plane ride to separate us. But I wanted to practice entertainment law, the industry is booming here. So I applied to almost every law firm in Atlanta.”

“But?”

“But, Davis and Smith approached me about corporate law and gave me a number a middle class kid with too much student loan debt couldn’t refuse.”

I nodded my head in complete understanding. “Tell me about it. I will owe SallieMae both my ovaries and a kidney.”

“I’m not too proud to say I cry every month I send my electronic payment.” He laughed and grabbed another slice. “Tell me about your sister.”

“She’s a dancer. A ballerina at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. This is her freshman year.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah. My parents are teachers and can’t afford to bear all the burden, so I do the best I can. Emma did her part and earned a full academic scholarship, but room and board, pointe shoes, leotards...it gets expensive.”

“I can imagine.”

“So, tonight was annoying at first, but it’s a blessing in disguise.”

“I’m glad, Elle.”

 Embarrassed, I said. “You know that’s not my name, right?”

“What?” The innocent look he gave me was ruined by the twitch of his lips.

“You asshole!” I threw my napkin. “You fucking know that’s not my name.” Then I realized I called my kind of boss an asshole and my cheeks flamed. “Mr. Montgomery—”

“It’s okay.” His sexy, arrogant mouth stretched wide. “Yes, Elizabeth. I know that’s not your name.”

“Then why?”

He bit his bottom lip. “You haven’t figured it out?”

 I spied a little red on his cheeks. Trenton Montgomery, the third was embarrassed. “No,” I whispered.

“Thank you for dinner.” He stood with the box in hand.

“You won’t tell me?”

“Nope. Let’s get back to work.”


٭٭٭


Two hours later I looked at my phone and saw several missed phone calls and texts from my friends. I sent a group text letting them know I wouldn’t make it. 

Twenty minutes later, Trenton shouted. “I think we’re done.”

“Are you serious?” I hurried to his side and look over his shoulder. 

“Yes. this is the last email.” He typed and then pressed send. “And we’re done.” He jumped up and opened his arms.

I wrapped my arms around him, my face pressed against his hard pectorals, hugging him. “We did it.”

“Just in time. You can make it to your party by midnight,” he said into my hair.

I pulled back grinning. “11:30. I can.” He followed me out to my desk. I grabbed my coat and purse. “What are you going to do?”

“Clean up. Then head home.”

We walked to the elevator. He pressed the down button for me. 

“Mr. Montgomery--”

“After tonight, call me Tre.”

“Tre...you should come with me. Bring in the new year right.”

“It’s okay. I’m good. Have fun for the both of us.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure.”

I wanted more time to hang with Trent, but the elevator arrived almost instantly.

“See you Monday.”

“Happy New Year, Elle.”

“Happy New Year, Tre.”

I backed on the elevator keeping my eyes on him.  

Trent blocked the doors, one hand on the elevator. His other hand grabbed mine. He pulled me closer, his hand caressing my cheek. 

Gently, his lips brushed mine. 

“Everyone else calls you Liz or Elizabeth,” he whispered. “I wanted a name all for me. ELL. It’s your initials, Elizabeth Leslie Lachey.”

My breath caught as he stepped back and allowed the doors to slide closed. 


٭٭٭


Halfway to my car I finally processed that Trenton Montgomery, the third kissed me.

Me!

His soft lips brushed mine.

He had a nickname for me. 

Does that mean he likes me?

Shit! What was I doing? 

This was my chance. 

I turned back around and rushed to the elevator. Impatiently, I looked down at my phone 11:48. 

Come on elevator…

When the elevator doors open, he was standing there.

I launched myself into his arms, my lips slammed on his. I had been waiting so long to feel him against my body.

His mouth did not leave mine as he lifted my legs to wrap around his waist. Trent gripped my ass pulling me closer. 

We kissed as his fingers in my hair; my fingers clutched his waist.

We kissed as his hands cupped my cheeks; my hands covered his racing heart.

We kissed as his groin snuggled against mine; my legs clenched his waist tighter. 

We kissed. 

Happy New Year.

 


January 21, 2020 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.