0 comments

Urban Fantasy Fantasy Romance

Heightened senses and cheap, inscipuous apartments weren't a good combination when it came down to Jenny's attempts to have a somewhat relaxing evening. After moving for the 6th time in the space of as many months she should have been used to the process by now...especially considering that she had been repeating this process for over two millenia. 

Eternally stuck in the body of a mid twenty year old Scandanavian woman she was constantly on the run...especially from time itself. Her original family had passed away over two thousand years ago and she had stopped keeping track of the various generations when it started to depress her. Watching friends and family age...experiencing civilisations rise and fall...observing the world slowly decay as humanity marched like a plague across the Earth, it was enough to make anyone miserable.

It was because of all of these deciding factors that had led the 2025 year old vampire to settle down in a cheap apartment block in lower Sydney. Once upon a time she had wanted to change the world...once upon a time she had believed that she could use her unwanted immortality to make a real difference in society and steer humanity onto a more positive path. Those dreams had long dispersed into the wind, just like her hundreds of past identities. Was it tiring? Was she sick of running away from a life as soon as it became somewhat comfortable? Of course she was, but what was the point in wallowing in her own self pity...that had been the 1980's and 90's for her and it had gotten her nowhere.

Sipping at the whiskey she had been aging for god knows how long she pushed her long flaxen hair behind her and stared at the scratched screen of the ancient looking television in the corner of the tiny flat. Her lack of reflection didn't even bother her anymore as she flipped the aging technology off and settled into the disturbingly squeaky couch with her liquor. Despite having acquired a substantal amoint of cash over the years from various jobs and investments, she had found the best way to remain anonymous was to live life simply. After unintentionally gaining attention through working with the FBI over in America, she had fled the country to the most inconspicious place she had dreamt possible...the 'land down under'.

REgardless of the fact that she had spent her whole life jumping town she hadn't actually ever visited the sunburnt country...and her initial impression of the place was based around her current circumstances. It was a frosty, drizzly July evening and she was sitting in a draughty apartment that was really a glorified room with a shower and bathroom attached. The television was probably broken, the couch was oddly sticky and the ridiculously loud groans and moans drifting across the hall from her new neighbour really set the tone for the evening. 

A sudden damp gust of air originating from the tiny alley facing window had Jenny sighing in exasperation as she eyed the apartment with loathing. She was fortunate that despite her heightened senses she didn't feel pain...she didn't feel the cold...and after thousands of years of watching watching people pass through her seemingly endless life, she was numb emotionally as well.

The only thing that was still one and truly her was her mind, her mind which was currently trying to determine what her incredibly annoying neighbour was doing across the hall. Despite the obvious sexual circumstance which what the rest of the neighbourhood probably thought they were doing the subtle yet intoxicating scent of melting chocolate and fresh hemp had her fangs elongating and she knew that whatever was happening across the hall...it definetly wasn't sexual.

 Blood was simply boring and despite having tried to end her immortal existence several times by restraining herself from having the life saving liquid...she always blacked out and woke up covered in it with some...well remains next to her. The last time it had been a couple of hundred blood bags, clearly the bloodsucker within her didn't take too kindly to being starved and would always kick in. Even though she wasn't even hungry...it was impossible for her to actually need physical human food, she still found herself silently heading across the hall and pausing for a second before raising her fist to bang at the peeling wooden door, just as the said door flung open inwards and left Jenny staring face to face with her new neighbour. 

Matching her abnormal 6ft 6 the man had the same silvery grey eyes that she had. Coupled with the same flaxen hair and his obvious immunity to the cold based upon his shorts and singlet,despite the single digit and rainy weather...she could recognise her own kin. Clearly he had a similar thought pattern as this man dragged her into the apartment and slammed the door shut behind them. 

Staring at her with a mix of wonder and suspicion the man headed into the crampt kitchen area and towards the oven. Opening the appliance and taking the tray of fresh brownies out with no protection at all, only further proved the fact that he was a vampire just like her. He seemed a little older than her...at least physically but who knew how old a vampire truly was except the said vampire.

Gingerly grabbing one from the offered tray, she inhaled deeply before she took a large bite of the treat.

" I can see why you were groaning and moaning before if you've been snacking on these for the whole evening."

" Let's just say I've had over 500 years to practice. Yourself?"

" Over 2000 my child."

She barked out with a laugh as the two vampires headed to the couch with the tray full of chocolaty treats.

" I've never met another one of...well of us before. Have you?"

Jenny nodded at this as she swallowed her mouthful, pondering over the couple of dozen other mythical figures she had met over the years. Some were friendly, some weren't...most were polite enough but like Jenny were used to being alone so they embraced their solitude.

" It's rare to meet a friendly one though." 

She replied with a smile as she grabbed another brownie, grateful to actually...to finally be able to connect to someone without hiding her identity for the first time in her very long life.

October 29, 2020 11:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.