6 comments

Fiction Holiday Fantasy

Clare was not having a good time, but she continued to try to have fun, until her date kicked a loose pebble at a little black cat sitting on the sidewalk.

“This is stupid.” complained her date.

His name was Dave. They had matched online and decided to meet up. Clare had suggested lunch downtown, feeling safer with an afternoon date then a late night. Dave had agreed, not adding much to the planning process, but Clare hoped that it’d be better than the last five dates she had been on.

It was not.

Dave had complained about the cute little sandwich place she had found and had done nothing but continue to complain the entire time they walked along the downtown streets, looking at the different shops and sights.

“This downtown is cold and wet.” Complained Dave as Clare stopped to look at the cat.

The black cat sat and stared indignantly at the two humans that had interrupted his bathing session. Clare knelt down next to him, reaching out a hand to pet him.

The cat tuned up his nose and walked across their path.

“Ugh. Why did you do that? Now it’s crossed our path.” asked Dave, going out of his way to walk around where the cat had stepped, “It probably belongs to some witch in one of these dingy shops. We’ll be cursed with bad luck.”

Clare sighed, “He’s just a little cat. He isn’t going to hurt anyone.”

She strode forward crossing the path Dave was so carefully avoiding.

“The downtown is wet, because it’s literally on a waterfront and its winter so it’s going to be a little chilly. If you wanted to do something different, then you should have said something.” She said, not looking at him.

“Whatever. Let’s just go in a shop or something or… head back to your apartment.” Said Dave suggestively.

Clare looked up and down the street, looking for the first shop that caught her eye.

“Let’s check out that one with all the pumpkins and apples. Maybe they have hot coffees or something.”

Dave puttered around behind her, grumbling. The shop had an old green door with many window panels. Inside one of the panels was a poster for a small black cat that had gone missing.

“Hey, that’s the same cat!” Clare exclaimed.

“Is there any reward money?” asked Dave.

Clare scampered back to the cat which still sat on the sidewalk, cleaning itself. She scooped it up before it had a chance to run and carried the little thing back to the shop.

He began meowing loudly as soon as she grabbed him and squirmed in her arms. She got back to the shop without dropping him, but with a few additional scratches.

“Open the door.” She told Dave.

He rolled his eyes but did so. A little old lady in a shawl sat behind the counter in the shop. Her wrinkled eyes seemed happy to see the cat, but the cat meowed even more at being back in the shop. Clare set it on the ground as soon as she heard the door slam shut behind her. The cat ran to the back of the shop immediately.

“Thank you, Angel.” Croaked the old woman.

Clare smiled at her. The shop had a cozy atmosphere in it. The smell of fall spices filled the air and a tall pot of something warm swirled behind the counter that was filled with pastries.

It was a small bakery with a lot of fall décor filling the front. Clare sat at one of the tables. Dave sat behind her nervously. He seemed pale.

“What’s wrong?” she asked him.

“This place is horrifying.” He said in a whisper, “I think we should leave.”

Clare looked around confused at the warm, welcoming environment.

“What are you talking about?” She asked incredulously.

“Do you not see the skulls and the blood?” he asked her still whispering.

“No.” she laughed, “You’re being dumb just because you want to leave.” She picked up a menu from the table.

“Reflection…” she mused, “That’s an interesting name for a bakery.”

Dave kept glancing around, not picking up a menu.

Clare read over the menu, picking out an apple flavored coffee and a small muffin. Dave watched her with a horrified expression.

“There’s a black widow on your face.” He said, still whispering.

Clare frowned at him, pulling the stray hair from her face, and holding it out to him.

“Just a stray hair. You’re acting really weird.” She told him.

The old lady from the counter walked over to them.

“Can I get you two anything?” she asked. Dave shrunk away from her.

“Yes please.” Smiled Clare, “I’d like to get these two items.” She pointed at the tasty looking dessert and coffee pictured in the menu.

“Ah yes. That coffee is quite delicious but let me get you a different dessert. You are a sweet young lady, but you do not have a good eye for snacks.” She turned to Dave when she said snacks.

Clare almost laughed at how obviously the old woman disapproved of Dave.

“Would you like to try this Danish?” asked the woman, pointing at another delicious looking item on the menu.

“You know what? That sounds amazing. Let me do that instead.” replied Clare.

“Anything for you Dave?” Clare asked him.

He shook his head no.

“At least get a coffee or something if you’re cold…” Clare insisted, “I can pay for it.”

He nodded at the woman.

She smiled at him and wrote down their order.

“I think we are in the home of a witch.” Said Dave.

“Oh nonsense.” Said the old woman, already back with their food, “I am not nearly powerful enough to be a witch.”

She set their food on the table with a cackle. Dave eyed the coffee.

“This looks like sludge.” He told her.

“Well, you look like a whiny baby.” She told him.

Clare bit into the Danish, enjoying the taste of the delicious food while watching Dave and the woman bicker.

“Clare. We should leave now.” Commanded Dave.

“Hang on. Let me at least pay the nice lady and get my coffee in a to-go cup.” She said, impatiently.

The old woman went over to Dave and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Alright now. No reason to get your panties in a twist. I’m just playing.” She said soothingly.

Dave paled as she put a hand on him. The words in his mouth died on his tongue at her touch.

“What’s the matter?” she asked him, “Cat got your tongue?”

The black cat from before suddenly jumped on the table.

Clare flinched at the suddenness, but Dave jumped from his seat and started screaming, running for the door. He banged on it a few times before he finally had enough sense to open it and run away.

Clare could feel heat rising in her face with secondhand embarrassment as she heard him screaming all the way down the street.

“Alright now honey. Don’t worry about him anymore,” The old lady cackled, “Take your time and finish up your coffee and then go visit the little Christmas shop up the road. There’s a very nice young man that works over there who is much better suited for you.”

“Ha Ha,” laughed Clare, “Well if your taste in men is at good as your taste in dessert, I might just have to take up you on that.”

“Trust me Angel. I know what I’m going.” Said the old woman seriously.

Clare took her time, enjoying the warm atmosphere and spicy scent of the shop, slowly drinking her coffee. The black cat purred in the now empty seat across from her.

Clare found the old woman at her side again just as she was finished up her coffee and putting some money on the table for the bill.

“Thank you for everything.” Said Clare, “I must ask. Why did you name the shop Reflection?”

“Well,” smiled the old woman, “This shop is just a reflection of who you are on the inside.”

She waved her hand over the table and the dirty dishes disappeared in a sparkle of light.

“You must be a lovely young lady.” Said the old woman glancing around the shop at the warm, cozy atmosphere.

“Thank you again.” Said Clare, only barely believing what her eyes had just seen.

“Best be along now.” Said the woman, “I have more customers coming and you have another shop to visit.”

Clare opened the bakery door. She breathed in the cold air.

It was starting to get dark out. It got dark so early in the winter. A shop a few doors down lit up with a string of Christmas lights.

Clare smiled and headed that way. 

October 24, 2022 02:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Helen A Smith
21:17 Nov 03, 2022

Hope all went well at the Christmas store. Liked the idea of the reflection 😊

Reply

Helen Boland
20:15 Jan 01, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brian Stanton
11:55 Oct 25, 2022

This was fun. Good job with the black cat idea. At first I thought Clare would eventually she through an illusion and discover that she was chomping into some maggot infested food, but the reflection idea was clever. Dave was an unlikable douche bag, which made the ending more rewarding as he ran off screaming. I also think the little hint that she just might have a better date the seventh time around was a nice touch. Gives the reader hope. Some critique: When you are writing the dialogue, it think it would sometimes read smoother with if...

Reply

Helen Boland
18:28 Oct 25, 2022

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
08:38 Oct 24, 2022

Dave—good riddance! What a clever setting idea and neat way to incorporate the black cat prompt into the story. And the hints of the dark, disturbing things that Dave was seeing inside the shop was the prefect touch of creepy. Makes us wonder what will happen at the Christmas store 😏

Reply

Helen Boland
18:27 Oct 25, 2022

Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.