15 comments

American Christian Contemporary

The Battle Rages On

Up until Sept of this year in the US there have been 389 school shootings since Columbine in 1999 according to the Washington Post data. I have been on a kick over the last few weeks of writing about my home town. This historical account is in Wikipedia:

“On May 16, 2018, a 19-year-old student, entered Dixon High School and fired shots during graduation practice.[13] He was pursued by School Resource Officer Mark Dallas, of the Dixon Police Department. After firing shots at the officer, the shooter was wounded by Dallas as he returned fire. (___) was then taken into custody. There were no additional injuries.[14] (___) was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder and initially found unfit to stand trial.[15] On July 14, 2022 he pleaded guilty to aggravated discharge of a firearm towards a peace officer and aggravated discharge of a firearm in a school building; he was sentenced to thirty years in prison.”

One of my granddaughters was practicing for that graduation. That's pretty close to home. My heart goes out to the victims that have been targeted and hit. Here's another one in my region. I took out the names of the shooters because sometimes the reason someone does these acts is for notoriety.

“The Northern Illinois University shooting was a school shooting that took place on Thursday, February 14, 2008, at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois. A shooter opened fire with a shotgun and three pistols in a crowd of students on campus, killing five students and injuring 17 more people, before fatally shooting himself.”

I believe these tragedies stem from mental health issues possibly contributed to failures in our public schools. I have to admit I have not been inspired by this weeks prompt on 'Academia' so have pulled out a soap box to spout off upon. I am not entering this into the contest because I am borrowing someone else' words, Executive Director Jim Schneider, of the VCY America Radio Network. WVCY-TV is a 24/7 television station in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“Gone are the days when society recognized and advocated for those things that are right and condemned things that are wrong. Gone are the morals and values that once were upheld and promoted in our culture. Gone are the days when patriotism was considered normal and socialism was exposed and scorned. Gone are the days when one could send their child to the school or county library trusting they would be safe with materials they picked up. Gone are the days when the vast majority of educators a school boards trusted parents and did not see hem as a hindrance or a threat.

“As a new school year has gotten underway, it was appalling to see a column in USA Today which suggested adding several 'health related' items to the back to school supply lists for high school and college age students. The list is chilling.”

...The list included things like contraception. Fentanyl test strips which they called 'harm reduction tool', and other overdose medication with instruction how to use...What happened to pens, pencils, rulers, calculators and notebooks?...Covid -19 warnings and notification for next rushed vaccine boosters...and mental health related issues with reference to parents being alert to warning signs if their kids are struggling...

“One wonders how our society can be so blind as to what we are doing to our children that is actually propelling them into mental health issues.

“Young people are being indoctrinated with hyper-sexualized materials, books, clubs, and even counseling sessions with advisors who purposely keep information from parents. Then we scratch our head and wonder why today's youth are having mental health issues. How confusing when we are teaching 'Johnny' that he might really be 'Joanie'. Or we tell 'Beth' that she might really be 'Bill'. Those who are 'expert' in the field are providing a steady diet of how to 'transition' to the opposite sex socially, chemically, and surgically. We give counseling to biological girls to accept and get over their objection to biological boys using their restrooms or showers. We scold women who object to gender-confused men who are taking away their medals and placements in sports. No wonder why there is a sudden rise in mental health issues.

“Our present society has become more concerned about having access to the latest abortion pill than promoting abstinence until marriage. The psychological harm to a woman is advanced greatly by killing the unborn child in her womb. The scars left behind will only escalate in their aggravation. Our culture caters to the most immoral standard in all aspects with the lame excuse, 'Well, they're going to do it anyway.' So, we are certain to be sure they have access to contraception or at least a contact number to the nearest Planned Parenthood where direction can be given on how to kill their preborn child even if they have to be transported across state lines to do so.

“As to drugs, we now have communities creating so called 'safe injection sites' where one can take, ingest, or inject drugs 'safely', and just in case they take too much we can be ready with Narcan to help them out. What a mixed message this provides! Mental health ills will only increase in such conditions.

“We must realize we are in an intense spiritual battle. Our enemy the devil is accurately characterized in John 10:10: 'The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.' How hopeless we would be if this verse ended here. However, it goes on to say, 'I (Jesus) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it abundantly.'

“Indeed the battle is intense. It is the battle between the works of the devil filled with darkness and deception, versus the Just One, Jesus Christ, who came as light into this world to save us from our sin. It is critical for people everywhere to turn to Christ and place their trust in him...

“As long as we forsake God, as long as we ignore and disregard Biblical truth, as long as we shake our fist at our Creator and put out the welcome mat for the devil and his minions, we will continue down the path of degeneracy.

“The battle is raging. This battle is spiritual. The answer is also spiritual. Victory can be found alone in Jesus Christ.”

November 10, 2023 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

AnneMarie Miles
03:54 Nov 12, 2023

We are living in crazy times. It is really scary to be raising a child right now.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:13 Nov 12, 2023

Your comment is unfortunately all too true. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:13 Nov 11, 2023

I hear you Mary. You had a statement to make about these ills. "Increasing of lawlessness" (A.K.A. crime) "without natural affection . . .brutal, with no love for the good" Prophesied for our time. Solution. The Kingdom we pray for in the Our Father prayer. (Kingdom A.K.A. government.) So called 'peace' will be declared, religion will go, (a personal relationship with God is what people need) and then the experiment of humans trying to govern themselves will come to an end. (Look at what we are teaching our children. Look at the way we are ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:33 Nov 11, 2023

Thanks for the support.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
00:38 Apr 12, 2024

The school shooting issue hits close to home for many of us, and your personal connection to one of the incidents adds a real sense of urgency to the discussion. It's a tough problem with no easy answers, but I'm with you on the need for better mental health support and education in schools. The commentary you shared covers a lot of ground, from concerns about changing societal values to the complexities of gender identity. Some might find the perspective comforting. Others might see it as divisive. I think we need a more balanced approach. ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:27 Apr 12, 2024

Thanks for your support.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
01:33 Nov 30, 2023

Hi Mary! This piece was certainly an interesting take on the prompt, and I appreciated your bold honesty that you decided to use to guide the story I thought that you handled the topics in a delicate manner, and am glad that you were able to have an opportunity to share your values. It’s not often that we get to know the author so personally.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:27 Nov 30, 2023

I am afraid maybe I share too much. But thank you for your frankness. People haven't shunned me yet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Allen Poor
15:59 Nov 18, 2023

Wow! Bold and full of truth. " In Jesus Name — Katy Nicole." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrUIPfvTh8

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
15:40 Nov 14, 2023

Well-studied and explored piece — I fear for my grandbabies at school and even in the community. We need to double down on solving this crisis, on numerous fronts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:38 Nov 13, 2023

Soapbox indeed! Mass shootings are horrific events - especially at schools - and it's perfectly normal for them to prompt some deep introspection, and a burning desire to fix things. Especially when it's so close to home - I'm glad to hear your granddaughter is fine! While I do not agree with Mr. Schneider's arguments or conclusions, I think that itself raises an important point. We seem to live in an age where we go from 0 to furious in the blink of an eye - something I suspect fuels the violence - and the idea of discourse, of being able...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Detti
19:15 Nov 13, 2023

Mary, this one hit home very hard as my husband and I discuss academia and what our child is being subjected to on a daily basis. We are fortunate in the UK in that we can if need be home school. I am very concerned about where education is going and reports of what is happening in institutions throughout the globe. For now I have hope and question everything!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen Corr
15:52 Nov 12, 2023

We can only hope for sensible solutions before it's too late. Good will towards men and women. Peace on Earth. Believe. 😢Thanks, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:41 Nov 12, 2023

Amen to everything you just said. 🙏

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:02 Nov 12, 2023

Thanks to you, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.