10 comments

Drama Funny Friendship

Girls dream of prince charming and they invented the rich, handsome, young and intelligent man. The guys took it as face value and were doing everything they can to get a resume meeting these four requirements. Once girls, grow up in their mind, become mature, revise their standards on perfect men, define their futures, stick to their goals, chart their way to achieve them and if it is possible to live with a balanced man who pays attention on her and maybe with certain requirements of their youthful dreams: The icing on the cake. Their real wish is to have beautiful, intelligent and healthy children. As it was well said by Katy Perry “I don't need the Prince Charming to have my own happy ending”.

The fellow in this tale like many men, in his forties thinks or wants to make others believe that he has more qualities: handsome, brilliant, hardworking, serious, humble, responsible, educated, intelligent, likeable and down to earth but not being rich enough. Therefore, he always strives to meet the requirement of wealth to transform himself into a complete prince charming.

You can tell he's not ugly, he looks calm, shy, says kind words, these are qualities that maybe let his wife choose him in high school as boyfriend and then to marry him when they were in college. They had beautiful children and enough money to live comfortably. At this point, his wife has achieved her dreams. However, his own target is out of sight but he does not lose his mind to fulfill his objective which is to enrich himself to complete the coveted CV of prince charming.

His opportunism led him to get a nice job with high responsibilities. He is well educated with the highest degree. Without any doubt, we can at least grant him that point if we have confidence in our institutions. However, he has not grown-up, he likes to be taken care of like a child, he thinks he deserves everything, he is jealous of the success of others, he lacks empathy, he is suspicious, he does not respect or make any effort for any his relationships, he does not admit his mistakes, he does not criticize himself, he accuses others of being incompetent. He is far from hardworking, he appropriates the work and ideas of others, he invents nothing. His well-paid job is the last thing on his mind, he cheats and leaves others do it. He delegates his work to subordinates in order to have more time to do extra work outside his office in order to earn more money to build wealth and belong to the upper class or rather to become prince charming. Criss Jami will tell him “you are not, by nature, deserving of all that you want. Stop walking all over others to get it”.

He's a retarded teenager, going through his midlife crisis, cheating on his wife with some secretaries and colleagues who still dream of prince charming, perhaps wishing he would leave his wife to marry them. They don't realize that his wife is in control of his life and that he isn't worth a dime without her. Unfortunately for him, few women fall into his trap because this guy is a miser, unable to pay for flowers for a woman or offer her a good glass of wine and he is the prince of false promises. He can't hold a conversation for more than five minutes, maybe he's graduated, but he's not cultured, he's empty. From his perspective, he is not attractive enough because he does not yet possess the wealth of the prince charming. His wife knew about it, but with kindness mostly, a beacon of hope lighted by his love to their children and a little common sense to save her marriage, she closed her eyes, hoping he would change. However, his bizarre demeanor in his job produced a backlash by blowing up his position, making him say a smart guy, or at least what he thought. Now, in his mind he’s not rich nor smart, he must strive to get both to fulfill the prince charming standards that he learned as a teenager from little girls he met in high school.

He did not understand despite his age that the female standards of prince charming evolve over time. Women love men with heart, hardworking, kindness, generous, boldness and not totally ugly and their purposes are their children, their family and a fairly cozy life that moreover in general they are them who build it. He is unaware of that he lost the title of prince charming when his wife fell in love with him in high school. Prince Charming is a title that we win when a woman and only one falls for us not like in boxing where the title of world champion is at stake.

This guy is still unaware of what happened to him. From his perspective, his colleagues are lazy, they don't want to work, and aren't qualified enough to achieve the goal of what he thought was right for their business. What happened to him was their fault. They curbed his thrive to win the title of prince charming which is in his little mind to seduce women and put them to bed.

His descent into hell has only just begun. Indeed, in a short time, he will have to pay for the higher education of his children, which will ruin his savings and he will be older, he will have wrinkles and will be invaded by gray hair, he will lose his youth. In short, he will lose all the characteristics of the prince charming that he yearned to more than thirty years ago.

What I do know for sure is that he is so stubborn in wanting to change. I'm even afraid his case will get worse as he struggles to reach his target like a madman trying to run to catch up with his shadow. He will end his life with the regret of never having realized his dream. Who knows, maybe he won't die stupid and stop a bit to think about his little self and maybe one day he will wake up and look back and if he's really smart, he will see that he was prince charming at least once except that he ignored it because he is a womanizer and greedy for money then he will pay a big tribute to the woman who chose him as Prince Charming by her standards. 


November 15, 2021 10:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Howard Seeley
04:49 Nov 27, 2021

Great effort. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Boutat Driss
12:32 Nov 27, 2021

thank you for your encouragement

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
F.O. Morier
21:10 Nov 24, 2021

What a pleasant story! I love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
200w Beiz
17:05 Nov 22, 2021

well done, i love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mathieu Valit
17:03 Nov 22, 2021

amazing tale !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
KED KED
15:28 Nov 22, 2021

Interesting internal development of this character. I guess that can happen when you don't evolve with the tides and instead hold steady with the course. Nicely done! Thanks for sharing :)

Reply

Boutat Driss
17:43 Nov 22, 2021

A lot of thanks for reading my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:28 Nov 20, 2021

Amazing dad ❤️❤️ You are the best

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nouh Boutat
08:13 Nov 17, 2021

So deep and philosophical..a 3rd nice shot uncle..it start to be a collection book of stories 😘😘

Reply

Boutat Driss
09:27 Nov 17, 2021

Lot of thanks you to you my dear Nouh for your encouragement. A thousand kisses

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.