0 comments

Romance

There laid a list with a line through every single item listed. Elizabeth scratched the inside of her brain trying to think of the dream gift for her fiance, Edward. Everything had to be right for their first Christmas as an engaged couple. She felt this Christmas would show her how the rest of their lives would be since it was in her opinion the most caring and warming holiday. 


To make things worse it was five days till Christmas. The clock rang and it was now 11:00 at night, Elizabeth yawned and hoped to herself that the idea of the dream gift would come to her in the morning or in a dream. She then went to sleep hoping for the best. 


December 21st, 9:43 a.m, the clock reads, while Elizabeth did not come up with an idea for a gift, she did think of a way to make sure it was as good as the gift Edwards plans to give to her. As soon as he got in the shower she started to snoop through his belongings, laptop, and phone. To find there was no way she could top his gift.


On his laptop, there was a tab open to tickets to Guam the day after Christmas for a week. Edward bought them tickets to Guam, and in the next tab he had a reservation at the hotel Elizabeth talked about when she told him about wanting to go to Guam almost six months ago. 


Her heart warmed at the sight of this amazing news, but then the pressure sunk in because Elizabeth now realized there was no way she could get as equally of an amazing gift for Edward. She started to feel sick how could she say she loves this man when she can not even think of a good gift to give to him.


Here was Edward surprising her with a trip she talked about months ago remembering everything she wanted to do from the hotel she wanted to stay in, to the snorkeling, and the exotic foods she wanted to try. He had the perfect gift planned out.


The shower water then stopped running and Elizabeth rushed to get the laptop back to the desk and herself back into bed before Edward came out. She didn’t want to ruin the surprise anymore.


Elizabeth got dressed and decided to ditch work to go out and find the perfect gift for her fiance and did she competition.

Elizabeth was determined to find a gift, she would go to a million stores if she had to. 


Around two o’clock in the afternoon, she had been to two malls and at least twenty-five stores and still nothing seemed good enough. Trying to get a perfect gift for Edward started to seem impossible. She never had issues picking gifts for Edward before why was it so difficult now.


Elizabeth saw a yoga was starting in ten minutes, she thought maybe she was thinking too hard and decided to go into the class to relax.


An hour later still no idea for a gift but an idea where to eat because now she was hungry. 


Half an hour later and Elizabeth decided it was time to get back to shopping. She got in her car to leave the mall when an idea finally came to mind.


She remembered about a month ago, at dinner Edward mentioned how cool it would be to go to see a hockey game with the Montreal Canadiens.


That was it she had to buy him tickets to one of their games, Elizabeth started the car and was desperate to get home before Edward so she could buy the tickets online.


It began to start pouring really fast, she could barely see through the window. Rainstorm warnings went off on the radio, piercing Elizabeth’s ears because she had the music on a high volume before.


She was close to home and began to press the gas harder to beat Edward home. But that was a mistake Elizabeth would soon regret.


A few minutes from the house and Elizabeth sees something very small slowly move across the left lane start to enter her lane. Elizabeth tries to slam on her brakes but she is not stopping fast enough and jerks the wheel to the right but way too hard causing her to crash into a tree. 

Her airbags eject and she then passes out. Edward notices the crash on his way home and as anyone would do he looks over at the crash to realize it is Elizabeth’s car. 


He pulls over and runs under the police tape and screams her name. Elizabeth hears him faintly but does not have the strength to answer.


December 24th, around 11:00 a.m. Elizabeth wakes up and the first thing she sees is Edward in a chair next to her reading a book.“Am I so glad to see those beautiful green eyes of yours open,” he said with a smile and tears in his eyes. 


The police come by soon after to get Elizabeth’s story of what happened the night of the crash, she admitted to going ten miles over the speed limit trying to rush home. Edward looks at her surprised since she has always been a safe driver and asks why she was in a rush.


Elizabeth tells him about how she was having a hard time finding the perfect gift for him and how she might have “accidentally” come across her gift and felt the need for her gift to be just as amazing. 


Edward smiles and says, “You are the perfect gift and the only thing I will want is to put a ring on your finger and spend the rest of my life with you.”



December 13, 2019 03:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.