0 comments

General

"Carol get down here! Now!"I yelled while taking the laundry up our dehydrated stairs, that's now rusted and gives off a metallic odor. 

Carol is my 17 year old daughter, who's lately been acting stranger than strange. "Give me a minute", she hollered back. I just don't understand what's happened. One day she just jaunted in our two story decayed condominium, streaming about red curtains and an old lady’s hope. 

I was so perplexed and worried, so today I decided to sit her down and ask what’s bothering her. I see her come down the stairs in a blood red sweatshirt that hangs to her mid thigh and stretchable black leggings. 

As she sits on the couch I come over and say to her," Carol........" She seems anxious as she meets my eyes. 

"Yes, mother," was her reply.  

I noticed that her usually radiant teal eyes looks dull and bland. 

"Are you okay, is there something the matter honey?" I stated while grabbing a hold to her now pale and shivering cold hands. 

She seemed to be revising her thoughts as she shutters lightly by my warm touch. 

"Mom! , don't ask me that, she doesn't like when she's questioned." 

I look at her with examining and slightly frightened eyes."Who are you talking about honey, who is she!" 

“No one forget I ever said something,” she spoke while lifting up off the couch. 

I nervously moved forward as she begins to mumble ”I can’t Roa I just can’t”

  Roa! My god I’ve heard of the name somewhere. Roa god where did I hear that name? I suddenly reminisce on my childhood days saying that it is impossible for me to think of such a thing. My daughter suddenly started pacing gripping her head tightly with her deadly white fingers. 

“I don’t want to do it… No no no no,” Carol started to yell vigorously.

I rushed over to her praying that what I’m thinking is surreal and that what I’m about to say is just me having a moment of intangibleness. “Roa as in my great grandma’s ghosted witch doll.” 

My daughter slowly turns around in a flash and her eyes seem to create a glowing beautiful but menacing effect. 

“What did you just say!,” she says while tumbling forward towards me. I slowly move backwards away as she trapped me between her and our yellowish stained couch.“What did you just say Little Golden!”

I let out a scared gasp.

No it couldn’t be. My grandmother was the only one to call me that. She had died in a car accident a year before Carol was born, so how could Carol possible know my nickname. But now that I think about it, Roa! 

Roa was a gift to my grandmother from a little lady who stayed across the lake from her.  The lady always creeped me out just as Roa had. She had given my grandmother the doll in a neat plastic box and had told her that the doll would continue on. Not saying anything else she left my grandmother’s porch and return home to sit on her patio which contain darken and poison leaves . The next day my grandmother found her laying on her side with a smile and eyes cold as death itself. The lady had passed away and my grandmother was scared out of her mind. Twelve days after the lady passed my grandmother would sit in her chair and stare at the doll.  Then she started to talk crazy nonsense and her health had started to deteriorate rapidly. She would have aggressive mood swings and finally she had gone completely insane which lead her to get into a car accident.

 As I continued to supply myself with these flaky thoughts Carol seemed to get worse by the second just as my grandmother had. I had to stop this and quick.

“ Roa what do you want, please just let my daughter go,just leave her alone,” I cried seeing my daughter struggle with the terrifying  battle between the ghost and her own body.

My daughter who was possessed by this “witch” gave off an alarming chuckle. 

What I want, oh darling don’t worry those pretty little eyes about it, just know, I will get what I want this time and no one will stop me, not even that low life grandmother’s of yours”

Out of the corner of my eye I see, a little small white face that had beautiful green eyes as dark as a ripe kiwi. It’s skin was a burnt color as if had been through a long line of dirt. It’s paint was peeling away from it’s clothed body. It’s hair was darker than black itself and it hung low to the ground. It sat high on the end of my glass table. 

As I turned my head I could see my nightmare started to come to life.

She was here!

I let out a whimper as whispered my possible last words 

Roa!”

...............................................................................................................................

“ Honey that’s a great story but it almost scared me to death! You’re just like your grandpa. You guys love to give me a mild heart attack”

“ Oh! Rosea my grandchild has a way with words. It’s called talent! She gets it from yours truly,” my pops says limping over to the table where me and my 15 year old daughter Lucy sat. 

“ I know it’s just that the story was really frightening but pops does have a point. My little pumpkin is very talented,” I said reaching over kissing my daughter head.

“Mom! I’m a teenager you don’t have to kiss my head anymore,”Lucy shouted wiping her forehead frantically.

“You always be my baby now who wants pumpkin pie,” I say getting out of my chair.

My daughter and  pops are out their chairs quickly and racing towards the kitchen with a grin hanging on their faces. 

I let out a little chuckle.

What would I do without those little people.





October 16, 2019 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.