25 comments

Adventure Contemporary Fiction

Lost in Arizona, on the holiday of my dreams. A five-figure holiday that I saved up for, for years. Down the toilet it went, whenever my girlfriend kicked me out of the car. We had a stupid fight. She was driving, I was swearing. She blamed the heat, I blamed her personality. She kicked me out of the car, in the back end of nowhere. I’d always wanted to visit the desert. It was on my bucket list, long before I met Angel. She and I had become one of those units that goes everywhere as a twosome, whether it's advisable or not. She was more of a Northern Europe type of holiday maker, but she'd agreed to accompany me, to help me achieve my life’s dream.

I’d had a crappy job for decades and I’d endured it, in the hopes that it would fund my biggest dream. I was living it, but it wasn’t what it had promised. The vast plains were indeed breath-taking, but my breath was taken away with every dreaded step I took, that progressed towards nothing. I didn’t know where on Earth I was – literally.

I’d seen all the typical "lost in the desert" stories – dried out mouth, dried up saliva, blurred vision, delusions of recognisable points that are truly only mirages. I’d never thought any of those things would occur on a real-life trip to the desert, but here I was, lost and as dehydrated as a crispy cactus. The cacti I’d waited my entire life to see were becoming like unwanted friends – following me at every turn. Their arms made them look like animated beings to my tired eyes. For moments, I thought they were like cheery men wearing sombreros, welcoming me into native lands, but they were never alive. They were never friends of mine.

There were so many rocky formations, and I’d started to climb one, but I didn’t have the right gear, and I didn’t know what I was doing. I wanted to see the panoramic view – the kind where you look at the expansive desert below you – just quiet, yellow sand peppered with little green cacti figures, but I hadn’t got to see it from above – or from a place of peacefulness. I kept hoping I would reach that place again, but panic was well and truly setting in.

Angel had abandoned me, at the side of a dusty road, and then she’d torn off at a speed I'd never seen her reach before. I’d expected her to come back, after her temper subsided, but she never had. I’d waited for a long time – an eternity in the broiling sun, but I didn’t hear an engine, or the rumble of an oncoming car making fresh tracks in the sand. I wished I did – I wished every argument we’d ever had away, even though in my heart, I knew we were completely incompatible. I wanted romance for that moment – for it to whisk me out of the place I worried I would expire in. My carcass would be found, stripped by vultures, months or years later – at this unmarked part of the globe where tombstones and body identification were unheard of.

My mind flicked backwards, to a small number of months before, like it was skipping chapters of a book – like sections had gone missing with my present-moment thoughts. I couldn’t think clearly, and my memories were becoming like crystallised moments of beauty - the last sparkles of dying sunlight. The pictures I’d seen online had looked exactly like what stood before me, but looking at them from a different perspective changed them into an entirely different scene. It had been beautiful then – desirable, an enviable location, when I’d been cooped up in my grey office block, inputting data in black and white. I’d longed for the space provided by the Arizonian desert. I’d heard so many fables about it, but I’d never met someone that had seen it first-hand. My office in Dublin felt so far from it I might as well have been located at a space station beyond the skies. But my desert dream was clear, and the desire for it had haunted me throughout my life. Maybe it was fitting that the same scenery would haunt me until my moment of death.

I’d been walking for so long that I had lost all concept of time. My phone was in my pocket, but it had no signal and then the battery had gone flat. I didn’t even have a bottle of water. When I’d got out of the car, I hadn’t even had time to grab my wallet – not that it would have done me any good there. There wasn’t a building in sight, for tens or maybe even hundreds of miles. The air around me seemed to move, in ripples, like my vision was failing in the most beautiful way. It was like whenever you see a beautiful sunset finishing up and everything just fades away to dusk.

For a while, I’d been calling Angel, as if it could have made any difference. Logic was a long lost friend. I’d been told that if you walked for long enough in the desert, you’d eventually reach an oasis. But I hadn’t come across one of those – just the imaginary kind. Why is it that whenever you’re looking for something ultra specific, it’s the only thing you fail to find? I’d come across all sorts of creatures on my journey – things I would have photographed, had I had a working camera. My mind took photographs of them instead, but mostly my fear captured them in stills. They were predators watching me – a lone, vulnerable, walking piece of flesh. Rattlesnakes, gila monsters, Mexican wolves – the sights I wanted to see from a tour bus, right before my eyes. I tried to avoid eye contact with them and just moved as silently as I could, trying to pretend they were as innocuous as puppies and kittens.

Closing my eyes made no difference. Fear was the only thing lurking in that dark cavity located behind physical vision. I stopped and sat on a rock. There was so much danger around me, but my primary thought was that I couldn’t move my mouth anymore. It tasted like dry sand – my lips refused to part. I couldn’t taste any moisture for the first time in my life. Maybe, I thought, this was what dying of thirst tasted like.

And then, as I made peace with my demise, I heard the sound of an engine, the screech and halt of tyres. A car door opened – it was as loud as a plane crashing in a fireball, and as unexpected. Standing in front of me was Angel, calling my name.

“Can we put this silly fight behind us, Rob?” she asked, lightly, like we were dealing with something frivolous that we could laugh off tomorrow.

She stood before me, like an open doorway, welcoming me back into the world. Water, warm words and life were right in front of me.

Or was it just a mirage?

June 23, 2023 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Wally Schmidt
19:27 Jun 28, 2023

What an immersive tale you've told, submerging us in the MC's dessert experience. I tried to write about the dessert in The King's View, but found it a bit daunting as it is really indescribable, so kudos to you for nailing it. I really thought the ending was going to turn out that he had only been there for a matter of minutes so I really loved the unexpected wrap-up to this story. Well done.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:30 Jun 29, 2023

Aw thank you so much for the feedback and taking the time to read it! I’m sure you could write an excellent desert story 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colleen Ireland
00:48 Jun 27, 2023

Oh, I hope it's not a mirage! I hope even more that Angel gets dumped, not in the desert, but once they're home, safe, sound, and well-hydrated!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:14 Jun 27, 2023

Lol yeah I think she deserves it too! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:08 Jun 24, 2023

Great detail and imagery. Made me feel as I was there but didn't want to be. Thanks for liking my Hour-Glass Figure

Reply

Keelan LaForge
19:11 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you so much. I’m happy for you that you weren’t either lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:22 Jun 24, 2023

Hi Keelan I liked your desert nightmare story. The idea of being left in such an environment strikes me as unkind and reckless, even if the two had a row. Not much of an angel. More like a demon? Nothing worse than being abandoned in such conditions. I loved the descriptions and the way you compare the reality of the place to the internet fantasy. Dreams and reality almost always being different. Also thought the ambiguity of the ending was a good way to finish. Let’s hope It wasn’t a mirage. Well-written story which drew me in.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:00 Jun 24, 2023

Aw thank you so much Helen and thank you for taking the time to read it. Your feedback means a lot to me and gives me a lot to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:47 Jun 24, 2023

I read this tale three times, and certain things keep on coming through. This is someone who has written. A lot. And with purpose. Your talent and skills shine through. I don't think I could ever write descriptive, sensory sentences as well as you, my friend. These sentences put me squarely in the scene. A couple of phrasings jarred me: "Down the toilet it went, whenever my girlfriend kicked me out of the car." The "whenever" seemed wrong. "I’d expected her to come back, after her temper subsided, but she never had." The "had" seems like i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Isaac Leath
18:02 Jul 08, 2023

Excellent story! Your writing placed me right in the heat of the desert, and I felt like I was there experiencing it myself. It kept my interest all the way through, and didn't disappoint with the thought provoking ending. I thought about your story even the next day, and came back to read it again.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
18:31 Jul 08, 2023

Aw thank you Isaac, that means a lot to me and encourages me. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
10:48 Jul 06, 2023

The beauty and danger of the desert very well described here! I really love how you ended this!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:12 Jul 06, 2023

Thanks Nina, that means a lot. Thanks for your comment 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gloria Dawn
02:27 Jul 06, 2023

An fabulous tale of being stranded in the desert. The ending was perfect, with him wondering if Angel's return was only a mirage. It leaves the reader with an interesting puzzle to solve, and the option to decide if it was real, or if the whole thing was perhaps just a dream, since he'd been wanting for years to see the Arizona desert. Did his subconscious create the experience for him?

Reply

Keelan LaForge
07:14 Jul 06, 2023

Aw thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it! I think I wanted it to be left open to interpretation and for the reader to decide so I’m glad it had that effect. Thanks for the feedback ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
15:06 Jul 02, 2023

Great story Keelan. The emotions surrounding desertion are captured well with some realistic observations during this situation. The ebb and flow of the protagonist's experiences keep the readers engaged. The language has a natural ring to it.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
07:40 Jul 04, 2023

Thank you so much Shahzad. I appreciate the feedback and I'm happy you thought the emotions were well captured. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Valerie Shand
19:41 Jul 01, 2023

I felt sweaty and sunburned reading your desert description. That was very well done and definitely evocative of a dangerously hot and dry landscape. What I don't understand is why he had dreamed particularly of this desert his whole life. I sort of wanted him to find that reason on his trek. The ambiguous ending with Angel perhaps being there and maybe being a mirage was interesting and keeps the reader wondering, which is fun. Well-written tale. My only suggestion is that you work on punctuation because it needs fine tuning, and my focus ...

Reply

Keelan LaForge
06:42 Jul 02, 2023

Thank you for your time and feedback. I will read yours too 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
11:15 Jul 01, 2023

Angel kicking her boyfriend out in the middle of the desert without returning back for him is no different than being a murderer. So I hope it really isn't a mirage.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:12 Jul 01, 2023

True lol. I guess you can decide your preferred ending 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric E
10:16 Jul 01, 2023

Lovely story! Fantastic imagery and description building up to an ambiguous ending. The imagery of the cacti, in particular, was memorable! Also loved the bit about no gravestones in the desert, very impactful.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:12 Jul 01, 2023

Aw that means a lot, thank you ☺️ I appreciate the thought you put into your feedback 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
08:28 Jul 01, 2023

Well written story, the theme of being lost in the desert and the ending is really good.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
17:11 Jul 01, 2023

Aw thank you so much, I’m glad you enjoyed it ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.