Where Do I Sign?

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Suspense

-Mr. Sunderson? Yes, thank you for joining us today. Please, have a seat.

-Here?

-Yes, just there. Good. So, when the red light starts flashing please state your full name and we’ll begin. 

-O. k.

Frederick William Sunderson II

-Good, now Mr. Sunderson, please elaborate on what brought you here today and what you understand about the study. 

-Like, why I’m participating? Or what I know about Stockholm Syndrome? 

-Both. If you could. 

-O. k. Well, uhm. I guess I’m here because I need --well we-- we need the money.

-We?

-Uh, yes. My wife and I.

-O. k. And do you understand the goal of the study?

-You’re trying to see if Stockholm Syndrome is real?

-Mmhmm. And you know what Stockholm Syndrome is?

-Yeah, I think so. 

-Tell me. 

-It’s when a person falls in love with an abuser.

-Close. It’s when a victim becomes sympathetic with the abuser. The term was initially coined in the 1970’s when 6 victims were held hostage during a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden. During the 6 day period, the hostages developed psychological bonds to their captors.

-Hm. 

-It’s noted that after their release, the hostages defended their captors, and refused to testify against them in court. 

-That’s crazy. Why would they do that?

-We aren’t completely sure yet. We suspect it’s the psyche’s defense mechanism when enduring extreme psychological distress.

-Oh, weird. 

-We at The Private Sector of Psychological Studies believe the syndrome is far more prevalent and damaging than the Federal Bureau of Investigation cares to address. 

-Yeah?

-Yes, hence the study. 

-Alright, well what would we have to do?

-In order to prove, not only the validity of the syndrome, but also the severity of its effects, we must conduct a series of immersive scenarios in which the symptoms may manifest.

-I don’t follow…

-Following our strict guidelines, you will create a hostage situation with your wife--

-What?!

-And over a two week period, see if she develops any symptoms.

-Take her hostage? No way! I couldn’t do that to her--

-Mr. Sunderson, please--

-There’s no way it would even work. I couldn’t keep her hostage--

-Please calm down and we’ll expla--

-Even if I wanted to. You don’t know my wife, she wouldn’t let it happen, especially from me.

-She wouldn’t know any better. 

-What- what do you mean?

-We have a way, during the course of the study, for her to...forget.

-Me?

-Everything. 

-How?

-With these.

-And...what are those?

-A non invasive, time release neuro sedative. They block the retrieval processes related to long term memory. 

-You’re going to take away her memory?

-Temporarily. 

-This is crazy.

-We understand your apprehension. There are certain -- ethical --obstacles this study faces. The PSPS helps alleviate those burdens. You know, cut out all the bureaucratic nonsense and dig to the heart of the study’s purpose.

.

.

.

Look, Mr. Sunderson, this study could really help people, you and your wife would make a nice bit of money….

-And no one else would touch her?

-She wouldn’t interact with anyone else.

-And she won’t remember any of this?

-Not a thing?

.

.

.

-Where do I sign?

 -----

-Good afternoon Mr. Sunderson.

-Hey. 

-I trust you read the guidelines we sent.

-Yeah, a few times. 

-Wonderful. Well, your wife is asleep and in position. Do you have any questions?

-No, I-I just want to see her. 

-You will, but you must maintain integrity of the scenario, understood?

-Yeah, I get it. 

-O.k. Then we’ll do our first recorded debriefing immediately after.

-Sure. O.k.

-Alright then, she’s just down the hall. 

---

-She looks a wreck!

-Save it for the debriefing, please.

-No! Screw this.

-Mr. Sunderson, we have a contract.

.

.

.

Good. Now have a seat. When the red light starts flashing, state your name and the date. It’s the third.

-Frederick William Sunderson II, March 3rd, 2018.

-Day 1 of the 14 day study. Please explain what happened. 

-Mary was--

-Who’s Mary?

-...My wife. You people drugged her and put her in some shitty, little room--

-Please stick to descriptions of what you experienced-

-Those weren’t even her clothes! No one was supposed to touch her, and you undress her??

---Everything else is speculation.

-Well! what do you want me to say then?

-Concrete actions. Did you say her new name?

-Yes. 

-And you used her name 3 times?

-More. 

-Did she...recognize…?

-It didn’t seem like it.

-Tell me more about what happened when you entered the room.

-She was asleep. 

-And?

-And…?

-What happened next?

-Nothing really. She slept for like an hour, maybe more. I’m not sure. 

-Mmm.

-When she woke up, she was--I don’t know--not scared. Confused?

-How do you know that?

-Her face. You could just see her trying to find sense in it all. 

-I see.

-I haven’t seen her like that since…

-Since?

.

.

.

Alright Mr. Sunderson. Tomorrow, we won’t be here when you arrive, so please go over the packet and stick to protocol. We’ll reconvene after the session. 

---

-Good afternoon, I trust today went well?

-Not exactly. She--

-Ah please, save it for the recording. Thank you. Good, and wait for the red light. Today is the fourth--

-I know what day it is!

-Just in case. 

-Frederick William Sunderson II, March 4th, 2018. 

-Day 2 of the 14 day study. Now, Mr. Sunderson, what happened?

-She likes me. 

-You weren’t in there very long, how do you know that?

-She tried to kiss me.

-Did she?

-Tried.

-And did you?

-No. 

-Then how do you know she tried to kiss you?

-Her laugh. She does this little look away and nose scrunch thing--I just know, O. k.?

-O. k.

-I know my own wife!

-We weren’t suggesting otherwise. 

-Then stop questioning me!

-Are you feeling a sense of hostility, Mr. Sunderson?  

-What?

-You seem quite agitated. 

-Of course I’m upset!

-Why?

-...I don’t know. 

-Perhaps, then, that’s enough for today. 

-No, wait--

-We’ll reconvene tomorrow. 

-Let me go back, I want to see her. 

-Tomorrow.

January 14, 2021 18:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Danielle Hauck
22:25 Jan 20, 2021

I was quite excited to read this story, but I was always waiting for a twist that never came (though my brain has been in a bit of a horror rut itself). There was definitely tension, but by the end, I wasn't sure why it was so tense? At first, I expected his wife to be the one holding him captive and HE had Stockholm syndrome all along. When nothing shocking happened by the end, I was a little letdown. I'd be very interested to read how the story continues.

Reply

Barabbas Ben
04:14 Jan 21, 2021

I appreciate the feedback, I strongly encourage you read my piece,"Her Name is Stockholm." You might just find what you're looking for... ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.