0 comments

Drama Romance Fiction

        The Fallen Cherry Blossom Tree

When somebody says to think of your happy place, most people think of a far off land, with beauty beyond belief. But I can only think of the rosy blossoms I'm blessed with. A place where anything is at peace. My vault of secrets sealed away from any unwanted feelings.

“RING RING!!!” I want to sleep. But thanks to needing money, I can't do that. 

I know I have to get up, and I know I need to get ready… but I want to remain in my soft comforting bedsheets, that provide solace from the harsh reality of needing to actually work for at least a somewhat decent life. 

My body carries me out of bed and before I know it I'm in the cold shower. I dry my hair, feed Stamp, my cat, and make coffee. I watch the murky brown liquid poor, not once looking at the clock. As I'm starting to make myself a bowl of bland cereal through the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse at the clock I had been trying my best to avoid.

I was already 45 minutes late to work!

I rushed into my used rental jeep and drove to the school I had the displeasure of working at. My mom was the principal of the small school. She was the only reason I had this job or even half the money that I do. 

I work in an elementary school class with a bunch of snot-nosed kids that annoy me to death. But I'm grateful for them all the same. If it weren't for this hell hole, I would still be a penniless, hopeless sight. 

                                  . . .

On my way home I almost fell asleep at the wheel. The long drive down the winding road, past the cherry blossoms, and through the brisk autumn air was always so relaxing. Not enough people pay attention to the bewitching lure of earth's beauty. While my small existence is mundane and tedious, even I am paralyzed by the majestic rose sprinkles that sweep across the green, fresh earth. 

         . . .

A journey through hell ends in heaven. This was some random memory that weaseled its way to the forefront of my head. I doubt it was anything more than a cereal box quote, but I took the crumbling memory to heart as it slowly dimed into an extinguished flame. I laid my head on top of my downy pillow and closed my eyes, I let myself be consumed by Inky twilight. 

I woke up and prepared myself for another day. I'm not a morning person, and I hate the blazing rays of the sun that gleam through my window. Throughout the day I face many inconveniences, but the world still spins and I move on with my life. Fortunately, it's a weekend and I can take it slow, grade some papers and try to be productive. 

I walk outside greeted by the cool refreshing fall air. My moccasins dragged behind me as I paced to the mailbox at the end of the driveway. In the box, a pale envelope lay in contrast to the dark aluminum. Like a star in the limitless night sky, bringing a false sense of light to all who chase it.

I tear open the envelope with no enthusiasm, paying bills is wearying and time-consuming. Unlike getting ready for a day of work, I don't avoid it and procrastinate. 

Much to my surprise, the envelope was not from my electricity company, or any other place that costs way too much for even the simplest tasks. No, this was a new address, one I have never seen.

The paper was old and fraying at the edges. As I examined the old paper, I saw the script, it was almost not legible... No, that's not the problem. It took me a second to realize the paper was written in old Latin! I had just finished a project in college about old Latin last semester! I was already amazed at the cryptic note, but I was at a complete loss for words when the letters shifted into English! The once majestic notes turned into an ominous inscription. The looming terrifying urgent feeling was foreboding but slow. Like the calm before a storm. 

At the ends of earth lies a path, not through hell and not through a palace. But through a place of unrest and malice. Where the sky is grey and full of ash from the burning hearts, this is where your journey will start.” 

The note was ridiculous and I assume it’s just a chain message, but even so, how do I explain the letters changing! I sat on my wood stool, my four arms resting on the cold granite countertops for at least twenty minutes in astonishment. Maybe I should just sleep on it. After all, even if I wanted to go to the burning land, I don't know how to get there.

                                                  . . .

I felt as though I was in a nightmare, a frigid and distant dream. A utopia lied past the misery and agony, just out of reach. Yet a tender feeling of blissfulness loomed over me. This feeling isn't right. I’m not supposed to feel happy! This is dark, people are suffering! I can feel their cold anguish begging for the tranquility of death !... But why … WHY AM I IMMUNE TO THE POISON! WHY MUST I WATCH THEM SUFFER LIKE THIS AND STILL SMILE!

I spring forward, a cold sweat oozing down my back. My once warm room was cold, My once happy face was gone, and I still got up. When I'm sad the world still spins, and I move on. I follow my morning routine mindlessly and walk outside. The cherry blossoms are as heavenly as always, The sightly tree snapped me out of my trance. I continued the day trying my best to keep the cherry blossom tree in the front of my head.

      . . .

I fell asleep with ease, only to be greeted by the vale of discord. I watch, again and again, people enduring hell. They were treated worse than animals. But the most appalling thing was, I can't help them, in truth, I can't see them. I can sense them, tormented by the contented feeling of death and silence. 

I gasped and woke with a start, legs ensnared in the blankets, the warm cover felt more like a prison. For once, I craved an escape from the safety of my mind and home. I groaned.

Time for another demanding day of work.

 As I poured my disgustingly black coffee, I pondered the dream from last night. What did it mean? I felt groggy and disgusted with myself. How could I smile when someone was in pain!

I kept on walking and enjoying life. All of the alluring plants in my yard kept me smiling, but a smile only caused me guilt. My mom always said a smile is light and kind, but now the smile felt like an atlas, with the mass of the world on my shoulders, weighing me down.

I need to go to sleep. I have to help that person! This time I won't let them slip away! Not this time. I lay my head down on my pillow, and emerge myself into the dark shadow of sleep. 

I feel them. I can feel them! I reach out to them, not able to reach them. No… not… not again! I can't let them slip away! I feel as though I'm drowning, engulfed in water. Trying to swim to the surface, but losing any trace of stamina just before reaching the top.

 I find myself in the garden more than usual, yearning for the peace and comfort it once provided.  Only to be disillusioned with my results. More and more I find myself depressed, struggling to get out of bed. I no longer relished my time with the blossoms and flowers.

I lay my head down but today, I'm not able to sleep. So I grab some melatonin, determined to be of some assist to that person.  

Before I have a chance to reach out to the person, I see them. A stunning woman, with beautiful flowing hair. I look at her, enchanted by her gaze. I extend my hand out to her, and she takes it. This is what I've been waiting for! The world has been lifted off my shoulders, and now we both carry it together. 

I get up and smile. But now the smile is more bright, The sunbeams through my window and I no longer mind it. Every day I go to work dressed with a smile, And every night I take melatonin and sleep. I learned I don't see the captivating maiden unless I take the annoyingly tart medicine. But in the end, I don't mind, because the gold maiden shines and the cherry blossoms bloom. 

                                                      . . .

Today is a charming day and I'm brimming with joy. I can't wait to sleep, but now it's different, before I didn't want to be awake, but now I long for sleep. As I go to lay down, I take two melatonin instead of one. And now I have a burst of energy, not only enough to swim to the surface. Enough to fly to the moon… no, past the moon! ALL THE WAY TO MARS! 

I found love, and I live in the sun. I live under the moon, next to the cherry blossom tree. 

I've never been happier with the gold maiden. I learned her name was Akiri, And I learned my name was Kurayami. Together we live in harmony, and I've never seen the dark place again.

December 18, 2020 17:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.