Contest #147 shortlist ⭐️

32 comments

Sad Horror Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

She holds her brother's sweaty hand tight as the credits fade. For a single breath, they sit in the void. Then the world is alight and reality resumes.


Blinking, she stretches and looks around blearily. Faded grey seats of cheap foam; a metal bin overflowing with paper boxes and plastic cups; an overturned carton of popcorn, its contents strewn across the threadbare carpet; a neon green exit sign occasionally flickering. A sharp whiff of orange fizz from her brother’s half-finished soda. Undertones of stale popcorn, and the faint stink of unwashed bodies - theirs. They sit in the theater alone. 


She pulls herself up and brushes kernels from her overalls. Her hand comes away moist from a patch of spilled soda. Pouting, she motions her brother up. He shimmies to the edge of the seat, legs dangling, and looks at her helplessly. She grabs his hand again and eases him down. He sips his oversized drink, adjusts his glasses, grins at her with a mouth half-full of milk teeth. She smiles back.


Hand-in-hand, they go up the ramp and out into the deserted corridor. There’s another bin. With her free hand, she pulls the hole-punched tickets from her back pocket and counts them aloud as she drops them in. One, two, three, four, five, six. Beside her, he yawns in between sips. The sound of it makes her yawn as well. 


As they walk, they pass reminders of worlds seen earlier in the day. Armies of superheroes; action stars with guns and intense stares; dinosaurs, maws agape mid-roar; colorful aliens; cartoon animals with wide empty grins. They watch her and she watches back, wondering what it would be like to live on a deserted island far from here with only her brother and some animals for company. Then she sees the way the posters peel from the walls, contorting their features, and their grins start to look like leers.


The corridor opens into a foyer, also empty, except for a clerk at the front. His beady eyes are set into a fleshy face, and he watches them warily. When they reach the counter, she finds that her head barely clears it. It's littered with cookie crumbs and smeared droplets of barbeque sauce that make her stomach growl. Too nervous to meet his eye, she looks straight ahead at his belly instead. 


The clerk apologizes, says there are no more movies tonight.


She’s sad, but she's not upset because it’s what she expects. It doesn't stop a pang of disappointment when her brother hangs his head in dismay.


They pull away from the counter and make for the door. From behind, the clerk asks with belated worry if they have a way of getting home.


She nods at him over her shoulder and steps out into the night. 


All the light in the world is yellow and faded, cowering beneath streetlights set too far apart. There is no-one else on the street; they are alone. Large, dark windows loom on her right as they pass an empty store, its Closed sign hanging on an angle by moth-eaten thread. She stops looking inside the stores when something moves beyond the glass, making her jump and quicken their pace.


She keeps their progress steady, feet sinking soundlessly into the pavement, eyes trained ahead. The cold stings her face. A wind starts up, pulling a sheet of newspaper across their path and into the gutter. A car rolls lazily down the street ahead, the hum of its engine filling the quiet until it disappears around the corner. She looks up and sees insects trying in vain to reach a streetlight’s bulb. Beyond, there is a pale coin of sky where the moon feels its way through heavy clouds.


He squeezes her hand tighter. She looks over and he’s shivering, the soda forgotten. She tosses it aside and grabs his cold little hands, rubs them together, exhales on them one by one, lets the heat flow from her body into his. He hugs her and she rubs his back. They set off again. 


Up ahead, between streets, there is a stretch of pavement where even yellow light fears to go. The comforting void envelops them both until her only tether to the real world is the warmth of his trembling hand in hers. He is young enough to be afraid of the void, yet too young to know that worse things can happen when the lights are on. Still, his fear spawns a knot of unease in her tummy.


They are almost out when a man’s voice echoes into the night. Fake-friendly, inviting. They walk ever faster, but he sees through the void, and his voice grows steadily louder. Soon it is just behind. 


A shape lurches toward them and her brother shrieks. She pulls him with her and they set off at a run. She can hear their footsteps now: light, hurried, frantic. Something lopes weightily in the void just behind. It draws closer. The wind surges into her face, into her ears, makes her hair stream behind, fluttering like a flag of surrender. 


Then she feels a rush of air, a smack as something hits the pavement, a roar of pain and shame. Slurred insults reverberate around them. Then they are alone.


Her limbs burn in protest but she keeps walking, pulls him along with her. He begins to cry and she sees he lost his glasses in the void. Snot and tears shine on his face. Each of his breaths is a ragged gasp, high-pitched and wheezy. She points down the street at the next corner and he nods in between sniffs. Almost there. 


The front gate hangs open, overgrown bushes on either side standing ready to smother them. She pushes past, hauls her brother up the steps, grasps the doorknob and heaves the front door open. 


Inside, the lights are on. She softly shuts the door, flips the latch, kicks away her shoes, pulls off his trainers. He keeps trying to adjust his glasses before remembering they aren’t there. His breathing comes faster, continues to whistle. Worry gnaws at her stomach.


In the living room, their father is sprawled on the couch, snoring loudly. A stained Metallica t-shirt stretches tight across his belly; a strip of hairy skin spills out beneath. She spies empty beer bottles clustered on the coffee table like bowling pins; a shattered plate on the kitchen tiles, unswept beneath an overflowing pile of dishes; the TV on but muted. He doesn’t even stir at the sound of her brother’s breathing.


They tiptoe past him, pinching their noses against the stink of alcohol. Their mother groans from the next room, but neither of them blinks - she always does that in her sleep. They glimpse her as they pass by: curled into a ball, bruises on her arms and face, deep in slumber.


Her throat constricts in fear. They are alone.


Reaching the bathroom, she searches frantically for his puffer. Needles and empty syringes are strewn across the grimy counter. A discarded rag hangs over the edge. Beside it is the wallet her mother had earlier pulled a banknote from and thrust into her hand. She rummages through drawers of unused needles in crinkly plastic, red-stained makeup remover pads, and boxes of tampons. Twice she comes across puffer cartridges - useless without the puffer itself.


Beside her, he leans over and braces himself against the toilet with one hand, his body contracting with each breath. His cheeks puff out and his eyes are wide and fearful, too exhausted to cry. 


Tears of desperation fall down her cheeks as the last drawer opens empty. She slams it closed and looks around helplessly. His each gulp of air is now a high-pitched whine, piercing her ears. Her eyes fall again to the rag on the counter. She pulls it away, sending needles skittering across the linoleum, to reveal his puffer lying overturned like a beached whale on black ice.


She hands him the puffer, lets him lift it to his lips, helps him press the button. They lock eyes and breathe together. She counts them through each breath.


One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six.


Her stomach loosens as the whistling fades and the tenseness in his shoulders gives way to a slump of fatigue. His breathing is calm. His mismatched smile reappears. She smiles back shakily. 


With a sniff, she flips on the faucet and runs her hand under freezing water that feels warmer than her skin. She grabs the rag, wets it and tenderly wipes her brother’s face clean of snot and tears. To her surprise, he takes it from her and wipes hers back, leaving moist streaks across her eyelids and cheeks. Then he clambers into her arms.


As they hold each other close, sharing delicate breaths, she whispers him a promise.

May 24, 2022 07:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Amanda Lieser
03:59 Jun 17, 2022

Oh my gosh! This was such an intense read. My favorite detail is that you chose to repeat the counting within your piece. I also love how you really drew out the detail of leaving the theatre. My heart bled for those kids. I also shed a tear for the mother. You did such an excellent job of capturing true human heartache in 3,000 words. Congrats on getting shortlisted!

Reply

04:07 Jun 17, 2022

Thank you Amanda, you're so kind. :) So glad the details came through. I am off to read your story for the week!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glen Gabel
15:08 Jun 07, 2022

This is beautifully written, and your descriptions are wonderful - I'm jealous! The characterizations are spot on and the tone/setting is both eerie and bittersweet. Really nice work. Thank you for sharing this.

Reply

21:22 Jun 07, 2022

Thank you so much, Glen. Your kind and generous comment made my day. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
05:44 Jun 04, 2022

Shuvayon, this was brilliant. A highly deserved shortlist. I was glued to the narrative, and I think I actually held my breath during the walk home and again at the end as she searched for the puffer. Terrifying, good slow build of tension throughout. The final line was perfect too. A promise. Leaving us with hope. Congratulations 🙂

Reply

05:32 Jun 06, 2022

Thank you so much Rachel! Always appreciate your reads and comments :) Best of luck in the contest this week :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:24 Jun 03, 2022

This was such a great approach to the prompt. I loved the structure of the piece and how you alternated between giving into the suspense and then pulling back at all the right times while balancing out the emotion. Well done.

Reply

02:17 Jun 04, 2022

Thank you, Kevin, really appreciate your kind words. I look forward to reading more of your work. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
02:45 May 30, 2022

Shuvayon, This was such a cool take on the prompt! I often hope that when people write in the horror genre that they find a way to make it scary without being obvious. Yes, running out of breath because you're being suffocated or buried alive or drowning is scarrryyy... But when you can't get your inhaler, there's a different sort of urgency you created here and I loved it! It was a string of all these tiny moments knotted together that helped to build the suspense in a way that wanted me to keep reading. Even with the way that you played...

Reply

08:09 May 30, 2022

Thank you Shea, really appreciate the read and such kind words. There's nothing more gratifying than making your reader want to keep reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
15:48 May 29, 2022

You have created such a tense and tightly knit horror, Shuvayon. And the choice to keep the tautness through short phrases filled with powerful verbs seals the readers inside the bleak world of the siblings for the entire length of the story and I literally gasped for air when it ended. Very well written. Best of luck!

Reply

09:37 May 30, 2022

Thank you Suma, that's wonderful to hear and it means a lot! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
20:23 May 28, 2022

Your motif of breath is so well handled in this story. I really enjoyed the gritty realism and how promises might not always have to be romantic. A moving relationship.

Reply

01:25 May 29, 2022

Thanks Rebecca! I'm stoked that's what you got from it. I tried my best to balance an unforgiving world with the warmth of their affection for each other.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
09:20 May 28, 2022

Really love how you write! The description of the empty movie theater was amazing really captures that slightly spooky and abandoned way it feels and carried over to the walk home. I love how you evoked the feeling of the children being alone in the world and all the potential threats to them which are lurking but never really seen, like when they come home and their parents are asleep and she manages to find the little brothers inhaler and yet it is also clear what a knife edge these children have just walked, and will do every day. I reall...

Reply

01:22 May 29, 2022

Thanks Kelsey, I'm so glad you picked up on that sense of helplessness I was tapping into. The children shouldn't be in this situation, and that makes them fearful of everything. Always appreciate the read and comment. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
06:50 May 28, 2022

I am not, nor have I ever been, an MFA student, but I've read a lot of short story collections that come from authors who are/were, and this definitely reads like a piece you'd find in one of those books. There's a certain stylistic, writerly quality about this piece that's emblematic of those stories - the absence of character names, the semi-distant clinical third-person POV, the gritty realism. Screams MFA to me, and it wouldn't surprise me to discover you are/were a grad school writing student. I'm a big fan of repetition in short stori...

Reply

07:46 May 28, 2022

Wow, this is one of the nicest comments I've received, especially since I enjoy and learn so much from reading your work. Made my day. :) Coincidentally, I don't have an MFA but aim to apply for one this year... fingers crossed. Thank you so much Zack, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Look forward to reading more of your stories.

Reply

Zack Powell
14:48 Jun 03, 2022

Congrats on the shortlist! Not surprised to see this get recognized - you totally deserved it.

Reply

02:16 Jun 04, 2022

Thanks Zack, that means a lot :) There were lots of quality stories this week so I'm surprised and count myself very lucky!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:05 May 25, 2022

My goodness, what a tense story. You could have easily tagged this horror. Great read! We don't immediately know what's going on and you introduce it to us gradually. It's not clear that the protagonists are little kids, though there are clues. But that can't be right, can it? Why would they be out alone at night? Well, we learn, and it's heartbreaking. There's a lot of scary moments, from the scene in the alley, to looking for the inhaler, to the drugs and beatings. It's nice that the siblings care for each other so, but it's a horrible a...

Reply

04:23 May 25, 2022

Thanks Michał, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Funny you say that, I was tossing up what to tag it with! Maybe 'horror' and 'sad' would be suitable...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:02 Jun 03, 2022

Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

02:17 Jun 04, 2022

Thanks mate! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:43 May 24, 2022

Beautifully written, Shuvayon. This is a powerful account of the lived experience of children living with neglect, all wrapped up in a journey home. The relationship between the siblings is touching.

Reply

22:23 May 24, 2022

Thank you for such kind words, much appreciated. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andi Hyland
07:11 May 29, 2022

So well written. You take your readers through situations that aren't just believable, they invoke an emotional response as well.

Reply

08:46 May 29, 2022

Thanks Andi, that's what I was going for! Much appreciated. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandini Panchal.
03:23 May 29, 2022

Awesome story! Really hooks the readers. Besides, I liked your idea of love devoid of romance. A fantastic thriller.

Reply

08:30 May 29, 2022

Thanks Nandini! You're too kind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Renee
01:53 May 29, 2022

I loved how you portrayed the theater as their escape, and the movies as the other worlds. Nicely done. The ending was unexpected and powerful. It was a moving and sweet story.

Reply

08:29 May 29, 2022

Cheers, I'm glad that came through! Appreciate the read and comment. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.