0 comments

LGBTQ+ American Sad

Sydney knocked gently on the bright yellow door of her childhood home, shifting from foot to foot uncomfortably. She glanced back at the Trump sign that was sticking up out of the front yard. She was getting nervous again. How would her mother take the news that she was going to share with the family today? Aianna squeezed her hand reassuringly, breaking Sydney out of her thoughts. She turned and pecked her girlfriend on the lips, before jerking away from her as the large door swung open loudly. 

“Hey, Sydney! It’s so good to see ya again!” Sydney’s mother stood in the doorway, grinning. 

“Hey, Mama.. Good to see you too,” Sydney’s mouth formed a tight, forced smile, and she cut her eyes once more over to the large Confederate flag displayed in the front room window. It had been so long since she had been here; she had forgotten how Republican her mother was. 

Sydney’s mother took her youngest daughter into her arms, pulling her close to her chest. She then ushered the girls in, closing the door behind them and leading them to the kitchen. Sydney didn’t miss the confused glance that was thrown Aianna’s way.

“Y’all, guess who’s here to visit us!” She called into the room as they entered.

Sydney’s family cheered as they noticed her and Aianna, all of their greetings overlapping with one another. Sydney smiled and waved shyly, and her older sister Scarlett stood up out of her chair to give Sydney a hug.

“Hey, lil’ sis!” She exclaimed as they held each other tightly.

“Hey,” Sydney responded. She hadn’t missed the little girl clinging onto Scarlett’s hip with her chubby hands. “Who is this?”

Scarlett beamed, adjusting the small toddler in her arms. “This is Addamae Willadeene! She’s my daughter, and she’s a year old. Did Mama not tell ya that me and Beau were pregnant?”

Sydney shook her head, and Scarlett frowned behind her at their mother. “Mama, I told ya to tell her about the baby comin’!”

Loretta chuckled goodnaturedly. “Well, I’m old, I forget things sometimes! Now come on girls, sit down for dinner!”

Sydney pulled out her girlfriend’s chair, smiling down at her. The large family quickly fixed their plates, their conversations mixing together into a comfortable jumble of noise as they themselves settled down. Once everyone had their food and had begun eating, Loretta looked up at Sydney.

“So, Syd, where have ya been these past few years? Whatcha been up to?”

Sydney finished chewing her cornbread and cleared her throat, shifting in her seat. 

“Well, I went to college for sociology. I have a job at Starbucks, and.. I found an amazing partner.” She glanced over at Aianna, who smiled reassuringly.

Loretta gasped. “Oh. My. Goodness! A husband! Oh my Lord, who is he? Where is he? Have ya had any munchkins yet? Oh, a lil’ cousin for Addie!” She gushed, rambling faster than Sydney could keep up. 

Sydney heard Aianna stifle a giggle. She blushed and interrupted her mother, who was still going on about husbands and children. 

“No, Mama, actually.. I have a girlfriend.”

Loretta looked stricken. “A.. A what now?”

“A girlfriend. Actually.. She’s right here.” Sydney and Aianna smiled at each other. 

Loretta’s expression went from shock to anger. “Her? Why, Sydney, I can tell just by lookin’ at her that she’s nothin’ but a big ole piece of trouble!”

Sydney’s eyes narrowed. “And how do you know that?”

“Well, I, I just do!” 

“Because she’s a black woman?”

Loretta’s eyes hardened, and she set her jaw. “Well, bein’ completely honest, Sydney, yes. We don’t bring these kinds of people into our family, especially women! I do not approve of this relationship!”

Scarlett gasped, and the rest of the family’s jaws collectively dropped. “Mama! Stop it!”

“Well, it’s the truth! She needs to settle down with a good, honest man, not a woman! That’s a one way ticket straight to Hell!” 

Sydney was fuming. She had expected this, but that doesn’t mean it hurt any less. She felt Aianna take her hand, and she squeezed it tightly.

“Well, Mama, to put it simply- I don’t care what you want from me. I am happy with Aianna, and I’m happy with my life. And if you don’t agree with that, you can suck on my big toe.”

Scarlett snorted, and Loretta looked stricken once again.

“Get out of my home!” She shouted. 

“Gladly.” Sydney snarled, and she grabbed her jacket, stomping outside with Aianna following closely behind her. Once they were standing beside the car, Aianna took Sydney into her arms.

“Hey, baby, it’s alright. I promise.” She soothed as Sydney cried into her chest. 

“I, I’m so so so sorry, Annie,” Sydney sobbed.

“It’s okay. I pinky promise. It’s not your fault, it’s hers.” Sydney nodded and wiped at her face, before noticing her sister and Addamae standing a few feet away from them. Her expression became guarded. She crossed her arms across her chest, looking her sister up and down.

“Why did you follow us out?” She questioned. 

Scarlett’s face softened, and she pulled her little sister into another hug.

“I love ya.” She whispered, and Sydney relaxed. Scarlett handed her a scrap of paper with a number scribbled on it. “That’s my cell phone number. Text me any time, okay Syd?”

Sydney nodded, wiping away her tears. She pocketed the slip of paper and let Aianna pull her into her arms. “We’re gonna go, okay? We’re obviously not welcome here.”

Scarlett nodded understandingly, and kissed her sister on the cheek. “Bye, lil’ sis. I’m sorry this is how this all went down. I promise, not all of us think the way that Mama does.”

Aianna and Sydney thanked Scarlett profusely, and then climbed into Aianna’s car. Aianna leaned across the passenger seat and kissed her girlfriend on the cheek, rubbing her thumb against the back of Sydney’s hand. She then started the car, and they drove away from the small house. They would never be back to the house with the yellow door.

January 30, 2021 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.