How I accidentally saved a person's life

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

"If you were to pick a superpower, which one would it be and why?" Don't you just hate that question? Of course you wouldn't hate it, heck, you would gladly give your answer and began talking about the things you're gonna do with it and how many people you're gonna save. Some people would love to have a superpower, just think of the lives they are gonna save or the lives they are gonna destroy. Who wouldn't want a superpower? The ability to turn invisible to hide from your friends in a game of hide and seek or your parents who are gonna beat your ass because you failed your math exam. Or, you can have the ability to read the minds so that you can read the mind of the teacher's and get a high score so you're parents don't kill you. It so cool to have a superpower, right?

Nope,you're wrong. I, for one, hate having a superpower. Sure, it can be very useful yet it can be pretty annoying. I hate to admit it but I don't want to be a superhero. Why? Cause I'm lazy and when I think of saving people and stopping crimes, it makes me not want to be a superhero more. What I really want to do is sleep in my bed until the world becomes peaceful. Okay scratch that, until my mom wakes me up holding a sandal in her hand and telling me to get my lazy ass up for school and blah,blah,blah. How did I get my superpower? I don't know, It suddenly came to me when I was about to get punched by my bully. Oops, sorry. I forgot to introduce myself, stupid me.

My name's Ocirieo Wekn, a 15 year old high school student with the ability to stop time . I know it's a weird name, it almost sounds likes Oreos which are the most delicious cookies in the world. I have a lot of stories to tell you involving my power but this one, this one story, made me use my powers in case of emergencies. So sit back, grab some oreos or popcorn, relax and let the lazy me tell you my story about how I accidentally saved someone's life because I used my power to save three lives in a store.

Ah yes Monday mornings, the mornings that everyone hates. The first thing I get to see when I open my eyes is the light. No, I didn't die, you don't need to worry. I'm talking about the sunlight, yes, the light that comes from the big burning ball of flames. For a normal person, they would probably pull the covers over their heads or close the binds and go back to sleep. But not for me, I was to dumb to think about doing that. I screamed, closing my eyes and flailing my arms like a mad person. I could might have woken up the whole neighborhood if I screamed louder. I could have, but my door burst open, and my mom appeared. Guess what? If you guess she was holding a sandal, you're right. She marched towards my bed, sandal in hand, and slapped me in the head with a whoop.

"OW! WHAT THE HECK MA?!"

"WHY ARE YOU YELLING SO EARLY IN THE MORNING? ARE YOU TANGA?!"

Did I forget to tell you that I'm Asian? If I didn't, now you know. Rubbing my head, my mother began screaming at me in our native language. I couldn't understand her. You know when your mom gets angry and starts yelling at you that it becomes a rap. Add beats to it and you get yourself a new hip-hop song that can make Eminem's Rap God's fast part slow. As my mom continued yelling at me, I closed my eyes and activated my power. The world stopped spinning, my mother stopped yelling, and I opened my eyes. My mother stood beside me, her mouth was open, and she glared at me. I smiled, "Well ma thank's for the new rap song, I'm heading out now." I got off my bed and kissed my mother's cheek. I changed into a gray hoodie and black jeans, grabbed my backpack, and I closed the door. When I went out of my room, I couldn't help but burst out of laughter. The image of my mom's confused face standing next to my empty bed was hilarious.

Descending down the stairs, I decided to check the kitchen to see what breakfast was. The first thing I saw was my father, holding a newspaper in one hand and a cup of coffee in another. Across from him sat my little brother and sister, glaring at each other as they fought for the cereal box to see who get's it first. Seeing that there was no breakfast, I left the kitchen and went outside of the house.

Everything was still, the neighbor's dog sat silently from the porch, staring at something in front of him. A white car stopped on the road, the driver had a hand on the steering wheel, and the other on his phone. His gonna get in a crash, I could tell. Across the street was my other neighbor, an old man in his 70s. He was standing in front of the mailbox, probably getting a letter from his grandson from the army. Humming a tune, I head towards the local 8-eleven, to pick up my breakfast. No, I'm not gonna steal. What am I, a thief?

After I have arrived in 8-eleven, I closed my eyes and deactivated my power. The world started spinning again, cars honked, and the wind howled in my ears. Chuckling to myself, I entered the store with a big smile on my face. The store had four people, the cashier who looked like a broke college student, a guy looking at junk food, and a single mom and her child. I passed by the guy, a slither of unease ran down my spine. I had a bad feeling that something was gonna happen. As I went to grab the granola bars, the guy mumbled something under his breath. I couldn't hear him well, I wanted to ignore it but something tells me that I shouldn't. I shake my head, 'Why do I feel like something's about to happen?'

I glanced at the guy, he glanced at me. He shot me a glare and I turned away. 'I've been spotted.' His lips turned into a scowl, he turned his gaze again to the junk foods. "Idiot." I ignored his comment and rolled my eyes. I grabbed the granola bars, passed the guy, and I kid you not I felt his glare pierce through my back. My heart pounded in my ears, making me break out in a sweat. ''That will be 6 dollars." Pulling out my wallet, I grabbed a few dollars and placed it on the counter. Here's where it really begins. The mother and her child approached the counter, holding a basket filled with snacks and candies. "Here you go." The cashier handed me my granola bars and nodded. "Thank you, have a nice day."

As I was about to head out of the store, a click told me to turn around. The guy pointed a gun at the cashier. He was glaring at the boy and he was yelling. "Give me all your cash. Now!" The mother and her child stood, frozen on the spot. I didn't know what to do, should I call the cops and hide or distract the guy. Then it hit me like a speeding truck. I can use my power. Yes, I know, I said I was too lazy to save people but that was the only thing I solution I could think of. I closed my eyes and activated my power. Opening my eyes, everyone in the store was frozen. This was my chance. I approached the guy, grab the gun in his hands, and went out of the story.

I think that was a dumb choice because one, the security guard in my school will ask me why I have a gun in my bag. Two, I forgot the buy oreos. And three, I forgot the call the cops. My mind went blank and I didn't have the chance to call the police, you can hate me, I don't care. As long as I don't know you. So what did I do? I went back home, hid the gun in the basement, went upstairs and entered my room. To my surprise, my mother was still there. Only this time, with a shocked look on her face. I hopped into my bed, closed my eyes, and once again deactivated my power. The look of surprise on my mom's face made me burst out laughing. After a few seconds, my mom regained her conscious and started yelling at me again. I didn't mind, it was better than seeing a robbery in a convenience store.

I never really know what happened to the guy, I went back to the store to buy Oreos and the cashier was talking to the police about this guy who had a gun then it suddenly disappeared. The mother and the child were also talking to the police and thank the heavens they forgot about me. So yeah, that's the story. I know it's not like normal saving stories where the hero saves the damsel from a burning building or from a villain. But hey, at least I get to tell you this story. You are the only person who knows about this, so don't you dare tell anyone about it. Anyways I gotta go, my mom might make a new rap if I don't clean the dishes. Moral of the story: Use your powers in case of emergencies and to run away if your mom starts yelling at you.

June 28, 2020 01:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lata B
16:08 Jul 06, 2020

I absolutely loved reading this! It was hilarious and caught my attention right away. I was smiling the whole time. You did a great job!

Reply

Kaiden Beats
00:42 Jul 07, 2020

Thank you. I'm so glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.